A Financial Plan for the Truly Fed Up

pennyw

Rookie
Jun 5, 2012
It’s enough to give credence to the people who want nothing to do with the profit-making players of the American financial system.

I’ve heard from some of them of late, and they are not fringe characters living in fantasy land. They know they need to continue to save 15 percent or more of their income and invest it in something that earns a reasonable rate of return if they’re going to have any hope of retiring. But they don’t want to own stocks or do business with traditional financial players to achieve their goals.

Are they crazy even to try? This week, I took up the challenge of creating a financial plan for people like this — including the beginnings of a model investment portfolio — to see if such a goal was even remotely possible.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/04/y...lan-for-the-truly-fed-up-your-money.html?_r=1

Look up the Browne portfolio, Modigliani portfolio or the Graham potfolio. They tend to make watching grass grow look exciting but their risk adjusted returns have 30-80 years of track record and they do work.

It’s enough to give credence to the people who want nothing to do with the profit-making players of the American financial system.

I’ve heard from some of them of late, and they are not fringe characters living in fantasy land. They know they need to continue to save 15 percent or more of their income and invest it in something that earns a reasonable rate of return if they’re going to have any hope of retiring. But they don’t want to own stocks or do business with traditional financial players to achieve their goals.

Are they crazy even to try? This week, I took up the challenge of creating a financial plan for people like this — including the beginnings of a model investment portfolio — to see if such a goal was even remotely possible.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/04/y...lan-for-the-truly-fed-up-your-money.html?_r=1

I'm almost 60, so, yes, they are crazy. Or, as the 'Zero-Hedge' motto proclaims, " on a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

But, yet, I'm still optimistic.

Forum List

Back