A Film For Social Justice Warriors!

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
But a really good one!

1.Last weekend I was in the Village, to see a South Korean film, ….has subtitles for you round-eyes….called “Parasite.”

I had been meaning to get to see this for a while, as the director, Bong Joon-ho is one of my favs.

Today, I opened the new Vanity Fair mag, with the picture of the stunning Chrissy Teigen and family on the cover, and found they’d reviewed Parasite….so I’ll share it…. Game Changer | Vanity Fair | December 2019

2. In the film we see two families representing the two diametrically opposite ends of the wealth spectrum, and the tragic result of their interactions. The film is over two hours, but you will not find yourself looking at your watch. There is reality, comedy, a message, and, as in all of Bong Joon-ho’s films, plenty of blood.

3. “…Bong Joon-ho's Parasite, the first film from South Korea to win the Palme d'Or,…. Bong has crafted a nice-but-nasty genre mash-up, a comedy thriller about class that's a handsomely mounted ensemble feature to boot.

4. Longtime Bong collaborator Song Kang-ho stars as the dimly clever patriarch to a family of lovable con artists who, through inspired imitation and great photoshopping skills, prey on an unsuspecting wealthy family. First the son Ki-woo (Choi Woo-shik) gets a job as a sophomore girl's English tutor; then he makes way for his sister, Ki-jung (Park So-dam), to become a highfalutin art therapy instructor for the rich family's younger son. And we're off: Dad gets a job as a driver, Mom gets a job as the new housekeeper. The previous holders of these positions get booted.

5. Parasite's unique power is in the humanity and urgency of its ideas, wedded as they are to a plot and a directorial style full of visual winks and moments of slapstick humor, as well as sly social asides that even the most astute viewers might miss on the first pass. The entire premise is summed up in a beautifully neat architectural metaphor: the poor family's below-ground-floor urban apartment versus the gated structural wonder of the rich family's home, accessible only by ascending a flight of concrete stairs, further and further from the street. It's a house lording itself above the rabble.

6. Parasite is predicated on the irony at the heart of class: that social status should amount to little more than a handful of veiled signifiers, that this power can easily be imitated by people who don't have it, and that this can be used against the powerful, who recognize their peers not through any foreknowledge of their means, but simply by whether or not they look the part. This tension is what makes Parasite so fun—and, finally, so tragic.”

And…..you Liberals will love the focus on income inequality!

It’s a win-win!

Last edited:
Saw the film last week with my wife. I enjoyed it, but the ending seemed like a poor attempt at a Quentin Tarantino twist. id give it a 3.5 out of 5. Before the ending it was trending closer to a 4.5.

Saw the film last week with my wife. I enjoyed it, but the ending seemed like a poor attempt at a Quentin Tarantino twist. id give it a 3.5 out of 5. Before the ending it was trending closer to a 4.5.

I had two problems with it.....
1. Clearly, the four members of the poor family were talented beyond the rich one, yet Bong locked them in the lower class.
And the comedy of each of them worming their way into the mansion seemed too much of a sit-com.

2. I saw no justification for the killing of Mr. Park.

But I'm a lot closer to giving it a 5 than a 3.

Have you seen his other films?
I liked Memories of Murder (Korean: 살인의 추억)....based on a true story
The guy is a talent.

New Topics

Forum List

Back