A few pics from Reno, unbelievable destruction...

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
This was the scene I woke up to this morning in my apartment parking lot. We've had right around 70 INCHES of snow, and they're saying we could get slammed with the worst of it yet Monday night. So, if we get only FOUR MORE INCHES of snow, this will have been the worst storm in the HISTORY of Reno. Yeah... I'm real glad I moved here... :wtf:

0x0002.JPG

0x0003.JPG

0x0009.JPG

Pale Rider said:
This was the scene I woke up to this morning in my apartment parking lot. We've had right around 70 INCHES of snow, and they're saying we could get slammed with the worst of it yet Monday night. So, if we get only FOUR MORE INCHES of snow, this will have been the worst storm in the HISTORY of Reno. Yeah... I'm real glad I moved here... :wtf:

0x0002.JPG

0x0003.JPG

0x0009.JPG

These pictures are reminiscent of some of the scenes we got in a blizzard last year. Car ports were destroyed just like this.

Wow!!!!!!...... I think I'll stay where I am. Snow is pretty but I don't think I could handle that much snow. I've never experienced a blizzard and don't think I want to after looking at those pictures. brrrrrrrr

pretender said:
Wow!!!!!!...... I think I'll stay where I am. Snow is pretty but I don't think I could handle that much snow. I've never experienced a blizzard and don't think I want to after looking at those pictures. brrrrrrrr

I love weather like that. Blizzards, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, etc. It is awesome to watch the power of nature.

gop_jeff said:
Wow... is your car under one of those?

Thank God no. I was listening to the evening news, and they were doing a piece on car ports collapsing under the weight of the snow. So I decided to go out and check mine, and when I did, I saw that two others had ALREADY collapsed, so I moved my van. I was lucky. My car port had as much snow as any of the others on it, but it didn't fall.

I find it odd that the building codes would allow for flat roofs (or is it rooves) in an area where snow can accumulate.

Fmr jarhead said:
I find it odd that the building codes would allow for flat roofs (or is it rooves) in an area where snow can accumulate.
Hmmm,
Colorado should know about this code...

I know at certain elevations in CO you cannot build a structure with a flat roof, if it has insurable property inside. (if I remember correctly, the code stipulates the pitch)

Of course, I could be wrong, but all it would take is some common sense to prevail (but that might be asking too much of our elected officials, right?)

Sorry to hear about your calamity, PR...thankfully you are safe, and I presume, getting a decent workout, helping to shovel others out.

Fmr jarhead said:
I know at certain elevations in CO you cannot build a structure with a flat roof, if it has insurable property inside. (if I remember correctly, the code stipulates the pitch)

Of course, I could be wrong, but all it would take is some common sense to prevail (but that might be asking too much of our elected officials, right?)

Sorry to hear about your calamity, PR...thankfully you are safe, and I presume, getting a decent workout, helping to shovel others out.

the Builidng Codes do have stipulations as what you can and can not build in snow loaded areas .... for occupied structures .... carports are acessory structures and not occupied and thus the loophole ....

manu1959 said:
the Builidng Codes do have stipulations as what you can and can not build in snow loaded areas .... for occupied structures .... carports are acessory structures and not occupied and thus the loophole ....

Well the "loophole" just SLAMMED SHUT! Because here in Reno, over 1,000 car ports failed. It is clearly stated that the structure should be "built to withstand the worst case cenario", and clearly they weren't. Car ports are provided by the complex, we "have to pay" for the "priveledge" to park under them, that puts the RESPONSIBILITY to MANTAIN them squarly on the apartment complex. Seeing how much snow fell in the first storm, they should have cleaned it off the car ports, and didn't. They fell, their fault. Neglect.

manu1959 said:

When you're providing a service/structure which you're collecting money for from occupants, you're required by law to maintain that service/structure to the best of your ability. If that structure collapses due to your neglect, it's your responsibility to make restitution..

Sure hope they have good insurance.

Shattered said:
When you're providing a service/structure which you're collecting money for from occupants, you're required by law to maintain that service/structure to the best of your ability. If that structure collapses due to your neglect, it's your responsibility to make restitution..

Sure hope they have good insurance.

And that's exactly what it's come down to.

dilloduck said:
In the pics you posted !

Oh.... yeah.... well, Jessica, the one with the ponytail is married. The other one I don't know. I just don't think of "married" chicks as "hot". I guess because I know I won't go there.

Holy Cow!!!!!!!! That is just unbelievable unless you see the pictures......How are you still sane Pale????

Forum List

Back