A few good men

Moi

Sep 2, 2003
The ONLY GOOD place
Another oldie, but again, on TV the other day.

What a great movie and it certainly gets you thinking about freedom and it's costs. I can't stand Tom Cruise, but he was pretty good in this movie.

I think Tom Cruise is a little underrated. I thought he was really great in Born on the Fourth of July, Interview With the Vampire, and Vanilla Sky. At times, he can be a bit of a Hollywood pretty-boy, though.

I really didn't understand Vanilla Sky. But I think Tom is a great actor. But he's newest movies really didn't look good to me. but that's just me..

I didnt enjoy Vanilla Sky either, actually. I used to love watching Tom Cruise (his first movie "All the Right Moves" was filmed here in my hometown... to help get him in character, he was a student at several of our high schools ~ this was his first movie, he wasnt the big actor then).

However, since the whole break-up with Nicole Kidman, for some reason I just look at him in a whole different light now.

I've never really cared for Tom Cruise. He is a boy. I prefer men. But he has been in two movies I enjoy quite a bit, the topic of this thread and Top Gun.

A Few Good Men has one of the best screen plays of modern films. It is wonderful to hear intelligent, clever dialogue instead of the usual swill Hollywood churns out.

"You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall -- you need me on that wall.

We use words like "honor," "code," "loyalty." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand the post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!"

never really heard of the movie. was it a big moive?

I'm not really sure... I dont think so. It was a football type movie, incorporating working family hardships, etc. I think it was a pretty good movie given the time it was made. It was a big movie around here (we're a fairly small community... any type of big film like that is big news), how it faired with the rest of the world, I'm not sure.

He starred in it opposite Lea Thompson (from Back to the Future) and ... oh, I cant think of his name.. the guy that played Coach. There was another guy who was in a few big time movies (for those that saw All the Right Moves, it was Tom Cruise's best friend), his name escapes me as well.

I'm with Moi though... I never thought of Tom Cruise as a sex idol, and had it not been for Top Gun (coupled with him starring in All the Right Moves), I probably wouldnt have followed his career past Top Gun.

Craig T. Nelson??

Yes, Moi, Thank you! For some reason, I couldnt get his name off the tip of my tongue.

The other star from All the Right Moves (Tom Cruise's best friend) was Chris Penn. (Brother of Sean Penn, star of "Rudy"). Now I can sleep peacefully.

Originally posted by lilcountriegal
Yes, Moi, Thank you! For some reason, I couldnt get his name off the tip of my tongue.

The other star from All the Right Moves (Tom Cruise's best friend) was Chris Penn. (Brother of Sean Penn, star of "Rudy"). Now I can sleep peacefully.

Sean ASTIN (sp?) was the star of Rudy!!! :)

Now thats another GREAT flick!!

Sean ASTIN (sp?) was the star of Rudy!!!

Yeah. Did you catch Vince Vaughn in his 2 second role? I heard he actually had to tell his parents his jersey number so they'd be able to figure out who he was!:clap1: Pretty good movie, though.

Sean ASTIN (sp?) was the star of Rudy!!!

Aww hell. Gimme some credit, it was late LOL. Hell, I couldnt even think of Craig T. Nelson's name. :wtf:

his brother, Sean Penn, is the obvious Sean Penn. So it takes a little sleep and a little more caffeine to jolt my brain cells awake.

Thanks for setting me straight Jackass.

Forum List

Back