A Federal Tax idea...

Big Black Dog

Platinum Member
May 20, 2009
Nobody likes to pay taxes - well, that may not apply to liberals but on the cuff, most people don't like to pay taxes. I have an idea for a new federal tax that might be a little better received by some and possibly a way to begin to pay off our very large national debt. Why not have a government run lottery and maybe even some government lottery scratch-off tickets? This way, if you wanted to pay that extra tax with the possibility of maybe getting an official government "kick-back" all you would have to do is go down to the local Piggly Wiggly and buy yourself a ticket. Those that didn't want to pay any extra taxes would just simply not buy a ticket. In addition to cash prizes, you could also win things like a night in the Lincoln bedroom at the White House, lunch with the President, a ride on Air Force 1, a beer party on the White House lawn with the President and Vice-President, instant enrollment into social security or maybe even a seat in Congress. The kicker though, and it would take a while for the citizens to figure it out, would be this: all lottery tickets would cost $100.00 each and the biggest cash prize would be $5.00!:lol:

A lottery is what was done before we were taxed.

Since it was gambling the religious nuts shut it down. That led to taxes and the IRS.

I think each ticket cost a dime, I can't recall what the winner got, but the money went to build roads, schools, hospitals, parks, etc, etc...

The feds would likely do what state pols did with lottery money.

In two states I lived in, Illinois and Michigan, the pols sold the lottery idea to the masses by telling them all the profits generated would go to the state's schools. Wow, all these extra millions of dollars to help education. Sounds like a good idea, huh?

Except the pols never specifically said "extra," just implied it. Then, when the lottery bucks started rolling in, they took tax revenue that had been planned for education spending and diverted it elsewhere. Didn't save it or use it to pay down debt. They just did what they do best...they spent it.

And the D.C. pols are even better at spending money. The even spend what they don't have, so I'd say can the national lottery idea.

a lottery is a regressive tax...The wealthiest don't buy lottery tickets.

Even if tickets are purchased by the poor who make poor decisions & go to the local Piggly Wiggly to buy beer or cigarettes.

Would you rather they blew that extra lotto money on more crack, beer or cigarettes?

Or

Would you rather they blew that extra lotto money on public services that they are the largest users & beneficiaries of?

Forum List

Back