A Family of Four in Maine can expect to pay $1,876 a month for HI starting in July

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Health Care: Must-Read Of The Day - Swampland - TIME.com

AP reports that insurance companies in at least four states are raising their premiums for individual insurance policies (those that people have to buy themselves, because they don't get coverage from an employer) by 15% or more. To give you a sense of what we are talking about if these rates go into effect, a family of four in Maine (which is a relatively poor state) can expect to pay $1,876 a month--about $22,500 a year--for health insurance, starting in July.

And this is only the beginning:

"You're going to see rate increases of 20, 25, 30 percent" for individual health policies in the near term, Sandy Praeger, chairwoman of the health insurance and managed care committee for the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, predicted Friday.

Health Care Reform, we don't need that! :rolleyes:

Thoughts on this USMB?

And how do our Maine residents here feel about this?

Good reason for the GOP plan to let them buy insurance from another state.

And that's all you think needs to be done? :eusa_eh:

I don't think putting a bandaid on a gaping wound will do much to be honest.

AP reports that insurance companies in at least four states are raising their premiums for individual insurance policies (those that people have to buy themselves, because they don't get coverage from an employer) by 15% or more. To give you a sense of what we are talking about if these rates go into effect, a family of four in Maine (which is a relatively poor state) can expect to pay $1,876 a month--about $22,500 a year--for health insurance, starting in July.
Thoughts on this USMB?

Maine Median household income (2007) $45,832.

That leaves $23,332 after insurance...

and only $18,587 after the cigarettes have been purchased..

Insurance Premiums are rising by 20% or more in some states. Do you:

A) Mandate coverage for all.
B) Pass legislation to open up competition.
C) Universal Coverage (Because the Government is so good at saving money in other areas!)
D) Kill the elderly and the sick.

Maine Median household income (2007) $45,832.

That leaves $23,332 after insurance...

and only $18,587 after the cigarettes have been purchased..

You forgot alcohol. And that's just the median household income. Never mind anything below that.

And that's all you think needs to be done? :eusa_eh:

I don't think putting a bandaid on a gaping wound will do much to be honest.

No... thats not all that needs to be done. There are other options... one being someone getting a job that pays for insurance a bit more than that.

So the GOP plan involves essentially taking away states' rights to regulate the insurance industry within their state.

ahem (hypocrites)

Not hypocritical at all... conservatives usually want a bit less regulation and this would be an example.

So conservatives aren't for states' rights anymore? OK. They keep changing their minds.

So the GOP plan involves essentially taking away states' rights to regulate the insurance industry within their state.

ahem (hypocrites)

Not hypocritical at all... conservatives usually want a bit less regulation and this would be an example.

So conservatives aren't for states' rights anymore? OK. They keep changing their minds.

I am not completely sure on this, but I would bet it isn't the states limiting Interstate commerce in this instance. I would bet it is a Federal Law/Statute.

If that is the case, then it wouldn't be a matter of states rights as you apply it.

I am not completely sure on this, but I would bet it isn't the states limiting Interstate commerce in this instance. I would bet it is a Federal Law/Statute.

No, you're not completely sure. In fact, you're completely guessing, or as some would say "talking out of your ass" or "bullshitting". Just please don't tell me you expect to be taken seriously.

If that is the case, then it wouldn't be a matter of states rights as you apply it.

Wow. How amazing that in a hypothetical reality you just pulled out of your ass, my argument is wrong.

No, you're not completely sure. In fact, you're completely guessing, or as some would say "talking out of your ass" or "bullshitting". Just please don't tell me you expect to be taken seriously.

Wow. How amazing that in a hypothetical reality you just pulled out of your ass, my argument is wrong.

Not completely guessing, but taking an educated guess. Interesting that you didn't respond with any facts.
When I have time I will look up the facts. Either my guess will be wrong or you will be made to look like a fool for not guessing but stating something as fact.

Appears that I was wrong. I would imagine then that the Federal government would have to enact something that would prohibit states from prohibiting sales across state lines.

What currently restricts insurers from selling policies outside of their home states?

States have primary regulatory authority over insurance. As a result, insurers are allowed to sell policies only in states where they are licensed to do business. Most insurers obtain licenses in multiple states. States have different laws regulating benefits, consumer protections and financial and solvency requirements.

The Debate Over Selling Insurance Across State Lines - Kaiser Health News

And this is only the beginning:

"You're going to see rate increases of 20, 25, 30 percent" for individual health policies in the near term, Sandy Praeger, chairwoman of the health insurance and managed care committee for the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, predicted Friday.

Health Care Reform, we don't need that! :rolleyes:

Thoughts on this USMB?

Well they just need to grab their bootstraps and pull themselves up to a higher paying job.

Insurance Premiums are rising by 20% or more in some states. Do you:

A) Mandate coverage for all.
B) Pass legislation to open up competition.
C) Universal Coverage (Because the Government is so good at saving money in other areas!)
D) Kill the elderly and the sick.
A, B, and C because just monkeying around with the free market system vis-a-vis health care has proven to be too costly for the consumer and too lucrative for the providers. If an insurance company can: erode coverage by denying care prescribed, raise premiums 20%, 25%, 30% annually while cutting off those who pay the premiums, it's pretty clear that something fishy is happening. Giving insurance companies carte blanche to continue this practice even across state lines is simply criminal.

You know why there are laws and regulations? To keep profiteers out of the pockets of consumers. I know Conservatives are great champions of free markets. That is right up until they themselves get ripped off by that same, unregulated market. Then, listen to the Conservatives howl "There oughta be a law!"

People always have the option to tell the insurance companies to GFT.

Government for the people by the people has not existed for a long time.

When doctors, pharmaceutical companies, corporates, unions, bankers, government and insurance companies no longer have anything left to strip off the working man and his family they can eat one another.

At my previous employer they raised our premiums by 30% while reducing our coverage. I've heard many reasons for the increases. I've heard that healthier people are dropping their insurance while the sick are keeping theirs which increases the premiums. I don't know if I believe this. There's got to be a reason more and more healthy people are dropping their insurance all of a sudden The reason now is price but why were they dropping them when it wasn't about price?

Forum List

Back