A family in Italy doesn’t feel pain because of a gene mutation

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
An Italian family that is barely able to sense pain has had the genetic root of their shared disorder uncovered. Understanding this gene may lead to new painkiller drugs.

The affected family members include a 78-year-old woman, her two middle-aged daughters, and their three children. All of them fail to sense pain in the way most of us do, and don’t notice when they are being injured. When they were assessed, the family members were found to have bone fractures in their arms and legs that they hadn’t realised were there.

“Sometimes they feel pain in the initial break but it goes away very quickly,” says James Cox, of University College London. “For example, Letizia broke her shoulder while skiing, but then kept skiing for the rest of the day and drove home. She didn’t get it checked out until the next day.”

To find the cause of their lack of pain sensitivity, Cox and his colleagues performed a series of tests on the family members. The team found that all six individuals had normal numbers of nerves in their skin, but that they all had a mutation in a gene called ZFHX2.

When the team deleted this gene entirely in mice, they found that the animals were not as good at sensing when painful pressure was applied to their tails, but they were hypersensitive to heat sensations. This suggests the gene may play a role in controlling whether stimuli are painful or not.

Happily insensitive
The team then gave mice the same mutated version of the gene that the Italian family had. These mice were much less sensitive to painful levels of heat. The mutation seems to have this affect because the gene normally controls the activity of 16 other genes, some of which are involved in sensing pain.
A family in Italy doesn’t feel pain because of a gene mutation

They are going to need to make sense of it before it's useful. They asked the family if they wanted to feel pain. The response was, Nah......we're all good with that.

It sounds great, but not feeling pain could lead to not noticing injuries, which can lead to permanent problems or death. I don't know if this family has been lucky to avoid serious side-effects from unrecognized injuries, or if the fact that they are not entirely immune to pain means they would still notice a more serious injury, or what the situation is. :dunno:

It sounds great, but not feeling pain could lead to not noticing injuries, which can lead to permanent problems or death. I don't know if this family has been lucky to avoid serious side-effects from unrecognized injuries, or if the fact that they are not entirely immune to pain means they would still notice a more serious injury, or what the situation is. :dunno:

I saw that, made me think of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, there was a guy there who had that too, I think it was the main guy's half brother or something.

I can see that. The break is felt immediately but does not last long. I think this will be a series of trade offs in the future.

I saw that, made me think of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, there was a guy there who had that too, I think it was the main guy's half brother or something.

It makes me think of the episode of House where a girl couldn't feel pain. I don't know just how such a condition works in the real world, though. :)

It makes me think of the episode of House where a girl couldn't feel pain. I don't know just how such a condition works in the real world, though. :)

No, it must suck in many ways.

Also the problem were people don't sweat. I think they lived in Louisiana of all places.

Also the problem were people don't sweat. I think they lived in Louisiana of all places.

I've always thought not sweating would be great, but I spend most of my time indoors in climate-controlled environments. :p

I've always thought not sweating would be great, but I spend most of my time indoors in climate-controlled environments. :p

You'd really have to worry about overheating your body though.

There was a family in Mississippi with the same malady. They kept a towel in bucket of water to use to cool themselves off.

Had some friends with a child that couldn't feel any pain. He was always getting banged up and didn't know the dangers of doing many things because there was no signal to tell him he was hurt.

Had some friends with a child that couldn't feel any pain. He was always getting banged up and didn't know the dangers of doing many things because there was no signal to tell him he was hurt.

It must be horrible for a parent of a child that doesn't know to stop when they are being hurt. I have a hard enough time not being over-protective of children who can feel pain and will stop doing something that hurts, I would be hard pressed not to make a child that doesn't feel pain live in bubble-wrap. :p

It must be horrible for a parent of a child that doesn't know to stop when they are being hurt. I have a hard enough time not being over-protective of children who can feel pain and will stop doing something that hurts, I would be hard pressed not to make a child that doesn't feel pain live in bubble-wrap. :p
Their biggest worry was if he hurt himself bad enough to bleed ot if he broke a bone along the way he wouldn't know it and keep on playing. Three older ones watched pretty close over him.

Forum List

Back