A fair and just GOD. He was certainly not an American

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as long as He doesn't go around saying He invented the internet, fine. We all know who gets the credit for that.

Originally posted by musicman
Well, as long as He doesn't go around saying He invented the internet, fine. We all know who gets the credit for that.

ROFLMAO!!!!!

There was a news article yesterday claiming celebration of a guy in Finland or someplace like that who won an award.

HE won because he "invented the web". In reality, he helped DEVELOP http protocol.

Now the world is led to believe the EU invented the internet.

I guess when they buy it, it will seem rightfully theirs.

I guess not even DARPA, God or the ever miracle working Gore can stand up to the EU.

I hate to disagree with a Ludwig man, but I believe that America is unique in human history, in that our founding fathers based our entire system on sound biblical principles. Their distrust of government showed a clear understanding of the fundamental nature of man (all men shall fall short of the glory). Name one other people, since the beginning of time, whose guiding principles were so deeply rooted in healthy skepticism and abiding respect for the individual. You can't.

And, seriously - can you name any nation - in all of history - that can even approach what America has done for the good in this world? If you're honest, you can't. I don't even want to think about what this world would be like wihout America in it. No, God is not an American. Americans are just human beings who screw up, like everybody else. But, if we could just stop bathing in the slime of self-abasement for a moment, and stop engaging in the perversely ego-gratifying practice of self-flagellation, we'd see that America is truly a miracle. Slavery was perfectly acceptable for over 6,000 years. Women have been treated worse than livestock for most of recorded history. America wiped all that away in the historical equivalent of the blink of an eye - and she still catches hell for not doing enough.

Thanks to our drive and ingenuity, many plagues and diseases are gone. Hitler is gone. Communism is gone. Evil, disease, and suffering continue in our imperfect world. Let's continue to battle these on all fronts - the way Americans always have. But, damnit, let's not forget to be humble and grateful every once in a while
:clap: :clap:
:usa: :usa: :usa:

Ron Reagan, in describing his feelings towards this most recent lurch of the Republican Party (and specifically GWB) said just tonight on Larry King Live that he is very suspicious of anyone the invokes the name of God as they pronounce intentions of WAR. He went on to say that it is the OTHER side that also subscribes to that immaculate calling. Kinda makes a country dumbass like myself wonder, have you any doubts?

Psychoblues

Originally posted by Psychoblues
Ron Reagan, in describing his feelings towards this most recent lurch of the Republican Party (and specifically GWB) said just tonight on Larry King Live that he is very suspicious of anyone the invokes the name of God as they pronounce intentions of WAR. He went on to say that it is the OTHER side that also subscribes to that immaculate calling. Kinda makes a country dumbass like myself wonder, have you any doubts?

Psychoblues

About you?

Yep. :cuckoo:

Originally posted by Psychoblues

Psychoblues

Are you suggesting that Ron Reagan is a credible spokesman for either Christians OR Republicans?

"And, seriously - can you name any nation - in all of history - that can even approach what America has done for the good in this world?"

Good is subjective, also "America" as you use it is subjective.
Example Albert Einstein was a Jew of German origin, yet he lived for an extended period in the US and attained citizenship. So which nation gets the credit for his good works?

Now Einstein is pretty easy, the Nazis might have killed him, so we get the credit, but there are similar cases that aren’t as easily undone.

Then you have complicated events and achievements that are have both good and bad repercussions. Example the Industrial Revolution saw many new labor saving inventions; it also saw an increase in poverty, child labor, and poor working conditions. So should we take pride in our contributions to the Industrial advancements or shame in the many flaws of the time?

Then comes the issue of time, we have undoubtedly done more for "good" in our two hundred years of existence as a nation then any other known nation in history, and we have done the most recent and cutting edge innovations. The technology we make today is far superior the inventions of our ancestors, does that lessen the impact of those ancient discoveries? Does Ben Franklin’s discovery of electricity undermine the impact of Neanderthals’ discovery of fire?

We have done things faster than any other nation to be sure, but does that mean we have done more? If speed is a non-issue than yes I can probably name a few nations who have done as much as we have.

Originally posted by deaddude
Then you have complicated events and achievements that are have both good and bad repercussions. Example the Industrial Revolution saw many new labor saving inventions; it also saw an increase in poverty, child labor, and poor working conditions. So should we take pride in our contributions to the Industrial advancements or shame in the many flaws of the time?

Then comes the issue of time, we have undoubtedly done more for "good" in our two hundred years of existence as a nation then any other known nation in history, and we have done the most recent and cutting edge innovations. The technology we make today is far superior the inventions of our ancestors, does that lessen the impact of those ancient discoveries? Does Ben Franklin’s discovery of electricity undermine the impact of Neanderthals’ discovery of fire?

We have done things faster than any other nation to be sure, but does that mean we have done more? If speed is a non-issue than yes I can probably name a few nations who have done as much as we have.

First, I want to say. What do you get the idea that the industrial revolution increased poverty? id love to see some empircal data to back up that claim.

Also id like to see the evidence that there werent poor working conditions before the industrial revolution.

Or even why its relevant since the IR started in Great Britain.

The fact is if it werent for the freedoms found in America, our great achievements wouldnt have been made.

Its sad though that in the most educated time in the greatest nation in the world there are so many willfully ignorant people.

deaddude:

" Good is subjective "???!!! What are you talking about, Beavis?

"Good " might be a subjective term if your worldview happens to be one of moral relativism and situation ethics. I don't find it so. If you're a little fuzzy on the whole " good-bad " thing, let me ask you this: If a crackhead slashes your throat and takes your wallet, is that necessarily a " bad " thing? What makes your life more important than his drug habit? Who are you, to expect him to conform to your notions of right and wrong? Sounds like a typically American conceit to me.

You're living in a country that - while not perfect - has been a positive force the likes of which this world has never seen, and you're quibbling over definitions. I sincerely hope you never have to exist in a world that doesn't have America in it.

Originally posted by -=d=-

It's entirely possible for People to CHOOSE to allow God to direct their actions - in fact, that's what Christianity is all about :)

Do you really think that people choose to allow Gpd to direct their actions like a robot or automiton? Is that what Christianity is all about?

Did Carl Marx or Vladamir Lenon use their free will in order create Russia and please G-d?

This thread reminds me of that old Bob Dylan song "With God on Our Side."

excerpt from said song:

"The calvary charged, the Indian died,
And we did it all, with God on our side."

Originally posted by deaddude

"And, seriously - can you name any nation - in all of history - that can even approach what America has done for the good in this world?"

I think I can help you.

America has done more good for the world by:

1) Waging war, paying for Manhattan with shiny beads and $24.00 and germ infected blanket death on the indigenous Indian population of America.

2) Using black African slave labor to toil in the fields of the Americans while being tortured and treated like cattle (selling family members for hard currency).

3) Starting the League of Nations and the United Nations which have caused more human pain and death than any other entity in recent history.

4) Sitting out foreign wars waged against our own allies who died in their tens of thousands until we too were attacked by the same enemies.

5) Creating a set of circumstances in which the world nations were brought into starvation and poverty by our 1921 'great depression.'

But like a lot of nations, America has done immeasurable good things for the world nations.

Example Albert Einstein was a Jew of German origin, yet he lived for an extended period in the US and attained citizenship. So which nation gets the credit for his good works?

Something like Bill Clinton getting credit for the economic prosperity wave brought on by the Reagan policies. America also gets credit for its Ted Bundies, Dahmers, Gacies and Presidential crooks (Nixon) or liars in their Constitutional oaths (Clinton). Einstein lived in America because Germany was ready to kill him but America took in the Nazi murderer scientists after the war, protected them from prosecution for their crimes against humanity so that we could have the technology they gained from killing Jews or using Jewish slave labor to make rockets, jets and the weapons of war. Real nice....

Do you understand that this wonderfully advanced technology you speak of is done in partnership with other scientific communties around the world. It is hardly America's advancement of world good alone in a world of nations.

Do you think Ben Franklin discovered electricity? This question is kind of like asking who discovered gravity. Electricity
was discovered the first time somebody ran their fingers through their hair and zapped their friend on the ear, or stroked a cat's fur backwards to make it stand up, or saw lightning. One of the first experiments recorded was from ancient Greece when they found that rubbing something called Amber (fossilized tree sap) with a piece of fur caused pieces of straw to stick to it.

That's big of you... speed?????

Originally posted by ajwps
"
"I think I can help you.

3) Starting the League of Nations and the United Nations which have caused more human pain and death than any other entity in recent history."

Well, they were both foolish utopian pipe dreams - I'll grant you that. But, shit, we had to do SOMETHING. Bailing out Europe every 25 years was getting old!

"4) Sitting out foreign wars waged against our own allies who died in their tens of thousands until we too were attacked by the same enemies."

Well, that's the way it always goes, isn't it? We're damned if we do, and damned if we don't! If we try to mind our own business, we're heartless bastards. If we try to help, we're arrogant imperialists trying to force our way of life onto others.

"5) Creating a set of circumstances in which the world nations were brought into starvation and poverty by our 1921 'great depression.'"

Excuse me? In the first place - 'created a set of circumstances' how - by bailing Europe's sorry ass out AGAIN? The evil, selfish US kept the ruined economies of the world afloat all through the 1920's, until she was no longer able to do so because of her own Great Depression - which, incidentally, began in 1929, genius.

"Einstein lived in America because Germany was ready to kill him but America took in the Nazi murderer scientists after the war, protected them from prosecution for their crimes against humanity so that we could have the technology they gained from killing Jews or using Jewish slave labor to make rockets, jets and the weapons of war. Real nice...."

It was Hitler's intention to erase Jews from the face of the earth.If it weren't for the US, he would have succeeded. Israel would not exist today if it did not enjoy the practical status of "51st State". I don't think a little bit of fucking gratitude, every great now and then, would be out of line here!

Do you deny - with a straight face - that the United States has been an overwhelmingly positive force in this world - the like of which has never been seen in human history?

]

Originally posted by ajwps

I think I can help you.

1) Waging war, paying for Manhattan with shiny beads and $24.00 and germ infected blanket death on the indigenous Indian population of America.

2) Using black African slave labor to toil in the fields of the Americans while being tortured and treated like cattle (selling family members for hard currency).

3) Starting the League of Nations and the United Nations which have caused more human pain and death than any other entity in recent history.

4) Sitting out foreign wars waged against our own allies who died in their tens of thousands until we too were attacked by the same enemies.

5) Creating a set of circumstances in which the world nations were brought into starvation and poverty by our 1921 'great depression.'

But like a lot of nations, America has done immeasurable good things for the world nations.

Something like Bill Clinton getting credit for the economic prosperity wave brought on by the Reagan policies. America also gets credit for its Ted Bundies, Dahmers, Gacies and Presidential crooks (Nixon) or liars in their Constitutional oaths (Clinton). Einstein lived in America because Germany was ready to kill him but America took in the Nazi murderer scientists after the war, protected them from prosecution for their crimes against humanity so that we could have the technology they gained from killing Jews or using Jewish slave labor to make rockets, jets and the weapons of war. Real nice....

Do you understand that this wonderfully advanced technology you speak of is done in partnership with other scientific communties around the world. It is hardly America's advancement of world good alone in a world of nations.

Do you think Ben Franklin discovered electricity? This question is kind of like asking who discovered gravity. Electricity
was discovered the first time somebody ran their fingers through their hair and zapped their friend on the ear, or stroked a cat's fur backwards to make it stand up, or saw lightning. One of the first experiments recorded was from ancient Greece when they found that rubbing something called Amber (fossilized tree sap) with a piece of fur caused pieces of straw to stick to it.

That's big of you... speed?????

AJ---why don't you just post everything you have to say in the Anti-American thread and save us all a lot of time. There is nothing about God in your post and you hate america.

Originally posted by dilloduck
AJ---why don't you just post everything you have to say in the Anti-American thread and save us all a lot of time. There is nothing about God in your post and you hate america.

:beer:

Thanks for putting it in perspective, Dilloduck. I might as well try to talk to a flowerpot.

And, gratitude - what the hell was I thinking? Charity without recompense makes the recipient contemptuous of the giver, as AJ demonstrates daily.

Originally posted by dilloduck

You guys are really something. Obviously I was being sarcastic in response to such a stupid statement that the US is better than any other nation in the world, which is blatantly a moronic concept.

I don't hate America and did not find the need to put G-d into the mix.

As I also stated, the US has done much positive things to the benefit of mankind but so have many other nations contributed to the betterment of humanity.

It is ironic that neither of you can understand when you have been played and you bit hook, line and sinker. By your being suckered in, your egotism about your country having done nothing wrong or evil and just with everything in a good light is ignorance on its face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back