A Dying Man's Cry For Freedom

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
I've noticed this week writing about this from the liberal Boston Globe and others, so perhaps the word is getting out and there are still some liberals with consciences.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion...,1704256.column?coll=la-news-comment-opinions

Max Boot:

A dying man's cry for freedom in Iran
THE HEADLINES out of Tehran concern the predictable failure of yet another round of farcical negotiations designed to stop Iran's nuclear weapons program. Meanwhile, a much more dramatic story is unfolding with much less attention.

Investigative journalist Akbar Ganji has been on a hunger strike since June 11 to protest his unwarranted imprisonment over the last five years for the crime of criticizing the theocratic thugs who have hijacked his country. Recently, he has been moved from prison to a hospital, where he is said to be at death's door. His condition is so perilous that even his advocate — lawyer and 2003 Nobel Peace Prize winner Shirin Ebadi — has urged him to end his fast, but he has so far refused. Having lost a great deal of weight, he is apparently being kept alive only by intravenous fluids.

Ganji deserves to become as famous as Nelson Mandela, Andrei Sakharov, Vaclav Havel, Aung San Suu Kyi and other dissidents who put their lives on the line against injustice. Yet, while Ganji's mistreatment has been protested by the U.S. and by every major international human rights organization, the only U.S. newspaper regularly covering his ordeal is the tiny New York Sun. According to LexisNexis, there have been more than 1,000 media mentions in the last month of Natalee Holloway, the teenager who disappeared in Aruba, and fewer than 400 of Ganji.

One could argue that the fate of one man doesn't matter much compared with the larger issue of whether Iran will go nuclear. But the two are intertwined. The reason why the United States and even the European Union are so concerned about Iran's weapons is the nature of its regime.

CONTINUE ARTICLE AT LINK

NATO AIR said:
I've noticed this week writing about this from the liberal Boston Globe and others, so perhaps the word is getting out and there are still some liberals with consciences.

Personally, I think Iran has the nukes already. Israel is waiting to see if they marry them to a missile. Then all hell breaks loose.

Kathianne said:
Personally, I think Iran has the nukes already. Israel is waiting to see if they marry them to a missile. Then all hell breaks loose.

Yep... I wonder what if anything could cause a civil war in Iran and bring down the mullahs...

NATO AIR said:
Yep... I wonder what if anything could cause a civil war in Iran and bring down the mullahs...

I never thought a civil war, more a revolt led by the youth. Don't think that is possible any more.

Kathianne said:
I never thought a civil war, more a revolt led by the youth. Don't think that is possible any more.

I'm chargained to say I must agree. The moment has passed, at least at this point. Perhaps if the regime oversteps its bounds...

I'd almost be tempted to let the Iranians have the nukes. I mean, hell the nuclear genie is out of the bottle, thanks to Mr. Khan and China/North Korea....

Just keep the Iranians aware that they will be turned into a parking lot if they pull anything.

NATO AIR said:
I'm chargained to say I must agree. The moment has passed, at least at this point. Perhaps if the regime oversteps its bounds...

I'd almost be tempted to let the Iranians have the nukes. I mean, hell the nuclear genie is out of the bottle, thanks to Mr. Khan and China/North Korea....

Just keep the Iranians aware that they will be turned into a parking lot if they pull anything.

As I said, I think they already have them, if they put them on a warhead, Israel will react, then the Mideast-Iraq or no-will go up in flames. Let's hope they don't, but I think they will.

I read this article this past weekend in a newspaper while I was out of town. I am sorry to say that I had not heard of Akbar Ganji before; of course, I am not a daily reader of the NY Sun, so I guess that is why I had not heard his story. Ganji had a clear picture about what was going on in Iran, and the mullahs knew he was speaking the truth. It is a fascinating story, so I am wondering why the MSM has not picked up this story and given it broader circulation.

Forum List

Back