A Dream GOP Candidate

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Ben Stein revealed a new potential GOP presidential on Sunday Morning.

"As everyone knows, the Grand Old Party has risen like a phoenix from the ashes of the 2008 defeat.

The GOP controls the House, had big gains in the the Senate, has a gigantic swath of states with Republican governors, and is well-liked in the polls.

What we do NOT have is a clearly viable candidate for President.

Huckabee; Palin; Romney; Haley Barbour, who's my own favorite - all have their pros and cons, but none stands out as a clearly winning alternative to Barack Obama.

But wait a minute! Isn't there someone out there who is Obama's equal in oratory, charisma, and ability to draw votes who COULD run as a Republican?

Why, yes there is: Barack Obama, his own self.

YES!

Think about it: Since the election of 2010, he is clearly moving in the direction of the Republican Party. He has completely signed on to the Republican position on tax cuts and kicking the deficit can down the road.

Long since he signed onto the Bush position on the war in Afghanistan, he's now swearing he will do something about government spending, even if it angers his most basic constituency, the government employee unions.

His speech in Tucson was a masterpiece of restraint and eloquence.

"It's important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we're talking with each other in a way that heals, not in a way that wounds."

Now, admittedly, he has a lot to learn in the right-to-life world and about the environment. But he's a fast learner.

There has been loud murmuring from the Democratic left that President Obama is too COZY with the Republicans. A loudmouth from Florida, former liberal Representative Alan Grayson, has suggested he might challenge Mr. Obama from the left for the Presidential nomination.

Fine and dandy! Let the Democrats have Mr. Grayson. He's a great guy. Let us Republicans seize this moment to humbly ask the best campaigner since Reagan if he would care to join up with our side.

The WINNING side!

He's highly teachable, a sensible guy, and is probably as good as we can get right now.

The worst he can do is say, "No," and then we can brag about our efforts at bipartisanship for the next hundred years.

Barack Obama: First man to be elected President from both parties. What's not to like?"

Ben Stein's Dream GOP Candidate? Barack Obama - CBS Sunday Morning - CBS News

I thought you said the Grand Old Opry.

Seriously, the best bet for the republicans is:

sarah-palin-bikini-rifle.jpg

Ima prayin, well I would if I did such things.

No president has ever changed parties while in office. John Tyler was expelled from the Wig Party while president, and was effectively an independent while in office, then shifted to the Democratic party.

Obama is proving to be more pragmatic than idealist. As power in government shits more to right he follows.

Listening to rumblings her in the heartland I am getting the feeling that the GOP is going to be split party in 2012. The Tea party here seeks to unseat Sen. Lugar in 2012 and I can see a crack beginning to form in the party that may become a gaping fissure that can guarantee Obamas re-election in 2012.

It would appear from the trend in Obama's number, that he would be elected today against any known contender. If the economy continues slow improvements which economist expect, he should have no problem getting elected.

The healthcare bill has gained popularity in the polls since the last election. If the healthcare bill stays intact after the Supreme Court ruling and the country doesn't self destruct by 2014, the Republicans are going to end up with egg on the face. They have scared the hell out of most of the country for two years. Voters are expected a disaster. The Republicans better hope that disaster appears before the next election.

Donald "The Hair" Trump was on CNN talking about possibly running on the GOP ticket.

He's got the business cred, and you don't make billions from nothing without having some semblance of leadership and decision-making ability.

Him or Mass Mitten are the only Republicans I'm aware of right now that could get my vote.

edit--that Gary Johnson guy from New Mexico is another possibility for my vote.

You think republicans should.....support Obama because he spoke with eloquence in Tucson? He blamed republicans for the shooting. Unemployment rose to 10% while the fool was giving porkulus money away like a community organizer with a stolen ATM card. He kissed the ass of every left wing dictater during his year long apology tour. Even if he seemingly drifts to the center he is still an ignorant fool.

The guy believes in "magical creation". Can't Republicans find anyone with sense?

6%.

I like Ben Stein. He has a good feel for politics and would make a great Presidential contender himself.

I would like to see him paired with Al Franken on a balanced ticket covering both the left and the right agendas.

Franken/Stein 2012

I like Ben Stein. He has a good feel for politics and would make a great Presidential contender himself.

I would like to see him paired with Al Franken on a balanced ticket covering both the left and the right agendas.

Franken/Stein 2012
I wish we had more political commentators on the Right and Left like Stein. He delivers an entertaining serious message without character assignation and hate, a rarity these days. We need more commentators like Murrow, Chancellor, Chromsky, Cronkite, Harvey, and Koppel and less Okbermanns, and Limbaughs.

Donald "The Hair" Trump was on CNN talking about possibly running on the GOP ticket.

He's got the business cred, and you don't make billions from nothing without having some semblance of leadership and decision-making ability.

Him or Mass Mitten are the only Republicans I'm aware of right now that could get my vote.

edit--that Gary Johnson guy from New Mexico is another possibility for my vote.

Not a big fan of the Donald but I do admire his business acumen and accomplishments, and if he was ever to be the Republican nominee I'd certainly vote for him. But that ain't ever gonna happen IMO because I don't think a guy like Trump would have the patience to put up with the system, the long process of campaigning against other contenders, debates. primaries, a convention, etc., that drags on for over a year just to get nominated. And then, finally, the real campaign starts, albeit for a much shorter time period. Whereas Trump's used to facing a challenge or problem, learning the facts and ramifications, making a decision, and moving on to whatever comes next.

Now, if he would decide to do it though it would sure be an interesting change to what we're used to.

Forum List

Back