A Disaster Lurking

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Adam's Apple, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Society as Clay in Liberals' Hands
    By Thomas E. Brewton
    Feb 15, 2007

The liberal paradigm recognizes no spiritual dimension to human nature or to human society. In the liberals' atheistic and materialistic world, humans are merely animals a notch along the evolutionary scale from the apes and, like them, motivated only by material factors: water, food, sex, and shelter.

Societies, in that paradigm, are held together by whatever may be the currently reigning regulations governing those material wants. A political society theoretically is a lump of clay that intellectuals are capable of shaping anyway they wish.

In contrast, Cicero, the great Roman orator and admirer of Plato, Aristotle, and the Stoic philosophers, observed in The Republic:

for full article:
    http://www.michnews.com/artman/publish/article_15806.shtml

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. CTRLALTDEL

CTRLALTDEL Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The disaster has already happened. It was called the REPUBLICAN PARTY.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'm always glad to read pieces that mention Plato and/or Aristotle. The piece was thought provoking, though too many of this type manage to tie in AIDS, etc. as some sort of devine punishment. On the other hand, I do appreciate the links from the 60's/70's and the nexis to today's problems.

Great post AA!

4. Gurdari

Gurdari Egaliterra

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    that argument was poorly constructed, and borderline racist. In fact the number of ridiculous claims are almost funny.

"People who have lost faith in God do not fight. They run. Since they do not believe in life after death, this life is the only thing they have to lose."

Give me a break. Thinking that there is no afterlife, means this life is far more precious.

"The very word Islam means "submission." Many Europeans have submitted already. In that sense, they have already become Muslims."

Yeah, it means the Muslim submits to God, not Europe submits to Muslims.

"The welfare state also intentionally undermined religion to crush the spirit of freedom among its subjects. And it undermined demographics, because people who do not believe in God do not believe in the future and see children as a burden."

What? This just straight BS, I'd love any evidence that I view children as a burden...

"An enduring society is not a random assemblage of people drawn together, like pigs around the feed trough, waiting for welfare-state handouts.
    The liberal paradigm recognizes no spiritual dimension to human nature or to human society. In the liberals' atheistic and materialistic world, humans are merely animals a notch along the evolutionary scale from the apes and, like them, motivated only by material factors: water, food, sex, and shelter."

The first sentence may be true, but he doesn't connect it to the second, he just implies a connection. And really, water, food, sex, and shelter? That's all I care about? Give a f***ing break.

Too many other lines are worthy of rebuttal, but I'm off to do some deep breathing.

5. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Now, that I like, the more you read it, the more sense it makes.:eusa_think:

6. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Those rebels/radicals of the 60's/70's were hard enough to deal with at the time, and now we're learning we're going to have to deal with them again. In my opinion, it will be harder dealing with them this time because of the steady deterioration of the social fabric of the nation.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,165
    Have anything useful to contribute to any part of this board?

8. CTRLALTDEL

CTRLALTDEL Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    You talk about us being materialistic. Republicans only see money and oil as the things that matter the most and must be aquired no matter what the cost. Today's Christians have no christian values whatsoever.

9. Hoyt Clagwell

Hoyt Clagwell Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you have a job?

Do you drive a car?

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770