A dark age with out freedom of press

xomputer

Rookie
Dec 9, 2008
North Korea has once more been nominated as the country with worst freedom of press, religion, and expression.

North Korea oppresses information, and even the media that's being used for state propagandas are under heavy surveillance and control of the state. The internet is heavily restricted to the very few. There is almost no exchange with the outside world.

The reason for the oppression is freedom of press will hinder maintaining the oppressive regime. So, they control the media by only praising Kim Jong Un, and hide all the important things from its people.

I feel sorry for the North Korean people who are living in a dark age without freedom of press.

it is definately important to have your people be able to access facts so that every move everyone makes is based on good information.

Bad information in bad decisions out.

It will kill the country in the end.

While I agree, today in America freedom of the press means BS passes for truth and money controls ideas. So if freedom is attached to a free press how will we burrow through the BS. PS I always lift my feet when someone mentions freedom.

"What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley wrote in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984 Huxley added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we hate will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we love will ruin us...This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right." Neil Postman 'Amusing Ourselves to Death'

"It is just this lack of connection to a concern with truth - this indifference to how things really are - that I regard as of the essence of bullshit." Harry Frankfurt

Forum List

Back