A Current Look Inside Iran

Discussion in 'Iran' started by Adam's Apple, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Will "change" come to Iran? Not likely. The leaders want to effect "change" in the entire world, beginning with the anniliation of Israel.

Iran's Winds of Change
    By Iason Athanasiadis, Boston Globe
    February 14, 2008

Ten months after moving to Boston from Iran, I returned in January to a snow-blanketed Tehran. After a nine-month crackdown on what Iran's moral guardians call un-Islamic dressing, the city had gone back to looking remarkably like its representations in the just-released film "Persepolis," a movie set in the repressive post-Revolutionary years of the early '80s.

The moral crackdown sweeping through Iran's largest cities denuded public spaces of eye-catchingly dressed people and created cityscapes that evoke the drab, alienated figures populating Tehran's streets in Marjane Satrapi's film.

for full article:
    http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2008/02/14/irans_winds_of_change/

2. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Well, trying to scare the american people with exaggerated and false stories about an Iranian nuclear weapons program, and a non-existant alliance between Iran and Bin Ladin didn't work, so I suppose fear mongering about dress codes is what were left with.

Iran's leaders are nutty theocrats. And they need to be confronted and pressured on a range of issues. But, until you can demonstrate some grave threat to america - other than stupid dress codes - I'm afraid I'm not going to piss my pants in fear. The dress codes and treatment of women in our good "ally" Saudi Arabia is more conservative and theocratic, than in Iran.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    You would be defending Iran even after they detonated a nuke I suspect. Well at least until a Liberal is in Office, then what ever THEY say will be good enough for you.

4. DeadCanDance

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Learn to read:

Until you give me some evidence that we need to bomb iran, or be pissing our pants in fear, I refuse to be afraid like a little girl, like you are about iran.

5. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    None of us are pissing in our pants retard. AND we want action taken, you claim you want it and then want to remove a set of options from play that may be needed.

We have heard now for 3 years how Bush was gonna invade Iran, Bush was gonna bomb Iran..... he is running out of time and I doubt Congress would give him permission so your ignorant fear mongering that an invasion is just around the corner would be funny if not so stupid.

In fact , correct me if I am wrong, but ALL Bush has done is try diplomatic solutions to the problem. And as I recall he was roundly attacked by Liberal Democrats for being soft on Iran and North Korea. While decrying our invasion of Iraq the same people were demanding military options on North Korea and Iran just a few years ago. Demanding to know why Bush was only using diplomacy on those two nations.

In fact as I recall Bush allowed Europe the lead in dealing with Iran. And was roundly attacked by those same liberals for THAT as well.

Get back to me when we invade.

6. DeadCanDance

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Plenty of Cons have made it abundantly clear on this board and elsewhere that they want to attack Iran. And I still remember the Iraq war, where Cons claimed they prefered a diplomatic solution, but as soon as the bombs started dropping, they immediatley put on their cheerleader skirts, grabbed their pom-poms, and cheered for war.

You yourself have made false claims, for many months, that iran has a nuclear weapons program and questioned the sanity of anyone who asked you for proof. You turned out to be wrong, and never admitted you were wrong.

I'm glad you've come over to my side of the aisle: that the way to go is inspections and diplomacy, in the absence of any evidence of an imminent threat.

7. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    There is no evidence that Iran has stopped its quest for Nuclear weapons. In Fact France insists that is EXACTLY what they are doing. And my proof has always been intelligence from other sources since I have no first hand knowledge.

But do again get back to me when we INVADE Iran.

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Allowed Europe the lead?? Allowed? lol... He had no choice because he totally ruined his ability to conduct diplomacy because of his past rhetoric and actions. As you recall, Ahmadinejad also blew him off and humiliated him.

But we've blocked that out, eh?

9. DeadCanDance

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    In Fact France insists that is EXACTLY what they are doing.

Link me up with an official unclassified French intelligence service document, that says Iraq has an active nuclear weapons program; not some stump speech statement from a french politician.

I've given you the unclassified report link from sixteen american intelligence agencies plus the report from the world's foremost international nuclear weapons authorities - the IEAE - that says Iraq does not have an active nuclear weapons program, and there's no evidence of one.

10. akiboy

akiboy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I am with RGS on this one. Iran could acquire a deliverable nuke in the next 2-3 years. There is also a strong unconfirmed link that Pyongyang gave Iran the design of the Nodong missile. Iran also recently tested a space rocket. Hell..They have reached this far..How long will it take to fix a warhead onto that rocket?

Frankly , I don't see any other option of Washington dealing with the Iranian threat other then invading/taking down their reactor and setting them back by a decade. It sounds ugly but that's the truth.