‘A cross between a car and a rubber duck’

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
3203.jpg

Oh Lord above. Here we go again. Don’t these people ever stop this insanity?

Is it a boat? Is it a car? Actually, it’s the best of both – an amphibious vehicle. It’s the ideal solution for anyone who fancies driving to the coast and then… well, motoring out to sea. For the past 50 years, Tim Dutton has been at the helm of his eponymous firm. He started out in 1969 and is justly proud of the fact Dutton is the oldest car company in the world still wholly owned by its founder. He is based in a workshop in the pretty village of Littlehampton where he has his own slipway into the River Arun. Visitors can take a Surf out for a test drive/cruise. You won’t be surprised to hear that owning a dinky Dutton is a niche interest – Tim sells about a dozen a year. Most drivers/captains just want to have fun – who wouldn’t in a vehicle that looks like a cross between a sports car and a rubber duck? – but there are more serious applications, too. Tim’s sold some to the military, and sailors love them as they can simply drive straight out to their yacht’s mooring. If you want to see one of these floating cars – and congratulate Tim on his half-century in the business – he’ll be at National Kit Car Show next weekend and at the Southampton Boat Show in September.

So, what am I moaning about?

Amphicar_Cabriolet_1963.jpg

This Amphicar was put on the market in 1971. And, like this probably will, it was a total sales flop. And, while I didn’t scan more, I clearly remember similar gimmick cars in the early 50s.

More about the Amphicar
@ Amphicar - Wikipedia And more about the Dutton Surf @ Dutton Surf amphibious vehicle preview: ‘A cross between a car and a rubber duck’ | Martin Love

3203.jpg

Oh Lord above. Here we go again. Don’t these people ever stop this insanity?

Is it a boat? Is it a car? Actually, it’s the best of both – an amphibious vehicle. It’s the ideal solution for anyone who fancies driving to the coast and then… well, motoring out to sea. For the past 50 years, Tim Dutton has been at the helm of his eponymous firm. He started out in 1969 and is justly proud of the fact Dutton is the oldest car company in the world still wholly owned by its founder. He is based in a workshop in the pretty village of Littlehampton where he has his own slipway into the River Arun. Visitors can take a Surf out for a test drive/cruise. You won’t be surprised to hear that owning a dinky Dutton is a niche interest – Tim sells about a dozen a year. Most drivers/captains just want to have fun – who wouldn’t in a vehicle that looks like a cross between a sports car and a rubber duck? – but there are more serious applications, too. Tim’s sold some to the military, and sailors love them as they can simply drive straight out to their yacht’s mooring. If you want to see one of these floating cars – and congratulate Tim on his half-century in the business – he’ll be at National Kit Car Show next weekend and at the Southampton Boat Show in September.

So, what am I moaning about?

Amphicar_Cabriolet_1963.jpg

This Amphicar was put on the market in 1971. And, like this probably will, it was a total sales flop. And, while I didn’t scan more, I clearly remember similar gimmick cars in the early 50s.

More about the Amphicar
@ Amphicar - Wikipedia And more about the Dutton Surf @ Dutton Surf amphibious vehicle preview: ‘A cross between a car and a rubber duck’ | Martin Love
Customer of mine owns the Boathouse in Orlando. Steak and Seafood place with Amphicar fleet for you enjoyment.

Forum List

Back