A couple of stupid Myths

ScreamingEagle said:
What blanket statement about atheists? I don't consider P-man to be a true atheist. Just a handy label he gives himself.

Like for instance:

ScreamingEagle said:
God and religion or even a moral code can be a real drag when one is out to have fun and "be free". "Atheism" is just a catch-all for these people because, like he says, "most atheists aren't guided by anything" and atheism has no real meaning for them other than a handy excuse to live life the way they choose.

or

ScreamingEagle said:
That is the major difference. Since atheists don't believe in God or an afterlife, they have no real motivation for living a good life other than to please themselves. Evil as a concept does not matter since atheists believe there is no real consequence to one's actions unless one is caught and punished by others during his lifetime. Why should an atheist even have a conscience?

or

ScreamingEagle said:
But I guess being an atheist, it doesn't matter to you what people do in this life as long as they don't hurt you personally because when you die it's all over anyway. Why should atheists care whether they are wicked or not? I'm sure that belief gives you great lattitude to pursue whatever liberal, hedonistic lifestyle you choose to follow between your "good" days. I'm sure that's a great motivation for becoming an atheist and forgetting about trying to understand God, the Bible, and your religion. It's much easier to blame God and denounce Him and take pride in yourself for thinking yourself so smart.

Do I need post any more?

He was just pointing out that he did in fact make blanket statements about atheists even though he said he didn't.

MissileMan said:
Like for instance:
or
or
Do I need post any more?

So what's your beef? Is the fact that I am denigrating a certain type of atheist bothering you?

I can have my opinions about atheists if I want to...just like many atheists have their opinions about Christians...which are voiced here all the time.

But the fact is, I started out by saying that not ALL atheists were this way...I respect those atheists with a serious code of ethics and those with religious formats such as Buddhists...I am referring to the type of "atheist" that P-man represents which is just a knee-jerk liberal anti-Christian attacker.

I've met plenty of these morally bankrupt "atheists" from the left wing - they have no real moral code whatsoever - everything is conveniently relative - however they are consistent in their anti-Christian stance which only confirms to me that their "atheism" is political in nature.

"So can we compromise and say that Buddhism at its source is atheistic, but nevertheless many Buddhists also believe in god or gods?

The original point I was trying to make to Powerman was that not all or most atheists in the world are independent freethinkers devoid of any cultural context. That still stands."

I would call it non-theistic rather than atheistic. Atheistic is a belief that there is no God. Buddism at its source simply doesn't cover it at all, it does not specifically deny a Deity any more than it claims one. Either way, there are many, many Buddhists that do not worship any Deity at all, if they are non-theistic or atheistic would be difficult to predict.

Buddhists would never actively deny the beliefs of another, one of the twelve Principals of Buddhism is to never attempt to lead somebody away from a Path if they are actively pursuing that Path.

no1tovote4 said:
Buddhists would never actively deny the beliefs of another, one of the twelve Principals of Buddhism is to never attempt to lead somebody away from a Path if they are actively pursuing that Path.

Right you are but old habits die hard.

MissileMan said:
More of the same stuffy argument. Atheistic morals can evolve as well as devolve, the same as Christian morals. Last time I checked, it wasn't atheists who dressed up in black suits with funny white collars and molested the children that they were supposed to be spiritually developing.

Come down off your self-granted pedestal. You may believe that your bible makes you a better human being than everyone else, but it doesn't.

So are you saying Christian morals say its ok to molest children?

nucular said:
Excuse me? Buddhism is the major atheistic "faith" in this world and most of its practicioners have very strong and specific moral values. Which atheists are you talking about "in other parts of the world" and do they outnumber Buddhists?

You cant have an athestic faith. If they believe the principles came from men, then they simply have a buddhist philosophy. It they think it came from God, then they arent atheists.

LuvRPgrl said:
So are you saying Christian morals say its ok to molest children?

No, I am saying that one's relgion or lack of religion cannot be used to gauge one's morality.

MissileMan said:
No, I am saying that one's relgion or lack of religion cannot be used to gauge one's morality.

Im not gauging the morality of the person, but the religion. Those who practice Christianity in its true form, are progressing more and more to a more civilized state.

Those who practice atheism, are more influenced by their culture.

LuvRPgrl said:
Im not gauging the morality of the person, but the religion. Those who practice Christianity in its true form, are progressing more and more to a more civilized state.

Those who practice atheism, are more influenced by their culture.

So, in your mind, Christianity in its true form is morally superior to atheism? On what scale are you making this measurement? Perhaps you can explain what the true form of Christianity is and how many Christians are actually practicing the true form.

MissileMan said:
So, in your mind, Christianity in its true form is morally superior to atheism? On what scale are you making this measurement? Perhaps you can explain what the true form of Christianity is and how many Christians are actually practicing the true form.

No, I didnt say its morally superior.
I said it has a stability about it that atheism doesnt because the basic laws or morals are made by a power greater than ourselves. Atheists dont have to answer to anyone and can come up with any moral basis they want, as long as it "seems" logical to them.

Atheism can at times have very high moral standards.

The Christianity I speak of doesnt allow for bogus interpetations of the Bible, you see it practiced by missionaries who devote their lives to helping kids in third world countries.

MissileMan said:
More of the same stuffy argument. Atheistic morals can evolve as well as devolve, the same as Christian morals. Last time I checked, it wasn't atheists who dressed up in black suits with funny white collars and molested the children that they were supposed to be spiritually developing.

Come down off your self-granted pedestal. You may believe that your bible makes you a better human being than everyone else, but it doesn't.

yet she's right. take away the scare factor of a powerful being, and all you have is a teeming ignorant mob, screaming "you're not the boss of me, now". "life is unfair"

Forum List

Back