a couple more questions for a story

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
2 questions for a story I'm working on, if anyone could help, it'd be appreciated.

1) What would the Civil War be referred to as by an older southern man? Without giving too much away, his son died in the War, and I was wondering what he would say if he were drunk and thinking about how "I lost my son in the [disparaging term for Civil War]."

2) When did automobiles first start becoming prevalent in the rural south? I'm assuming there were roads long before there were cars (for horses? carriages?), correct?

1.) He'd refer to it as the "Northern Agression against the South"
2.) Probably around the mid 1920's-mid 1930's

Will do! I'd like to think I have a decent southern perspective as far as modern times go, but I don't really know a whole lot about the history of the south, as this story is a period piece.

2 questions for a story I'm working on, if anyone could help, it'd be appreciated.

1) What would the Civil War be referred to as by an older southern man? Without giving too much away, his son died in the War, and I was wondering what he would say if he were drunk and thinking about how "I lost my son in the [disparaging term for Civil War]."

2) When did automobiles first start becoming prevalent in the rural south? I'm assuming there were roads long before there were cars (for horses? carriages?), correct?

1) damn Yankee invasion!

2) Actually highways were built as horseless carriages multiplied...first appeared in 1900 in Columbia SC and the state highway department was created in 1917

• Thanks
Reactions: Dan

Forum List

Back