A Country with 10 major Religions ??

Should a country have more than 1 major religion ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

akiboy

Mar 28, 2006
Mumbai
Well you guessed it !! Thats India. India's the only place in d world where you got mosques , churches , temples , monastries and other places of worship all under one roof. I may sound patronising but thats the truth. Yeah we do have communal flare ups but the last one was almost 16 years back. I think each and every country should allow a person to follow his/her religion. Some countries like Saudi Arabia are really strict on this . Here in Dubai we got 3 churches , one temple , a gurudwara ( for Sikhs ) and ofcourse being an Islamic country there are mosques. I think the rest of the nations in the Middle East should follow U.A.E 's example and encourage all religions. Let me know what you think of it.

AkshAY b

With religious diversity, there comes a greater understanding of other worldviews. Except for those who believe they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Bullypulpit said:
With religious diversity, there comes a greater understanding of other worldviews. Except for those who believe they are right and everyone else is wrong.

All real religions feel that way. The difference is the modes of behavior they use to convince others: Appeal to reason and heart, or the sword.

akiboy said:
Well you guessed it !! Thats India. India's the only place in d world where you got mosques , churches , temples , monastries and other places of worship all under one roof. I may sound patronising but thats the truth. Yeah we do have communal flare ups but the last one was almost 16 years back. I think each and every country should allow a person to follow his/her religion. Some countries like Saudi Arabia are really strict on this . Here in Dubai we got 3 churches , one temple , a gurudwara ( for Sikhs ) and ofcourse being an Islamic country there are mosques. I think the rest of the nations in the Middle East should follow U.A.E 's example and encourage all religions. Let me know what you think of it.

AkshAY b

Not sure what you mean by "all under one roof"? Is that literal of figurative? Other than that, your description sounds no different from the USA. :huh:

To answer your poll question, I think a country should have as many religions as its citizens want to have. Our country was founded on that premise.
Unfortunately, we are seeing that given the power to do so, Islam is too intolerant a religion to allow it.

akiboy said:

AkshAY b

Um, here in the US we have all of the major religions under one "roof"... as well as several hundred not so major religions. I think you are mistaken as India being the only place in the world that this happens, I am pretty sure there is pretty much religious freedom in the UK, France and Germany as well...

no1tovote4 said:
Um, here in the US we have all of the major religions under one "roof"... as well as several hundred not so major religions. I think you are mistaken as India being the only place in the world that this happens, I am pretty sure there is pretty much religious freedom in the UK, France and Germany as well...

Right you are! Links at site:

http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html

Largest Religious Groups in the United States of America

Many people have written to us at Adherents.com asking what are the major religions or churches in just the United States. All of our data is, of course, available on this web site in the main Adherents.com listings (listed by name and by location). For most places it is fairly simple to look up an individual country, state or province in the Location Index. There the user will usually find between 15 to 100 adherent statistics, which provide a good idea of what the major religions are for that place.

But the United States has a greater number of religious groups than any other country in the world, and Adherents.com has literally thousands of adherent statistics for the U.S. This page provides some summary lists of the largest religious groups in the United States. Most of the tables on this page are based on self-identification data (which religious groups people actually say they belong to when surveyed), but some lists based on organizational reporting (membership figures from individual denominations) are shown as well:

* Twenty Largest Religions in the U.S.
* Largest Branches of Christianity in the U.S.
* Ten Largest Denominational Families in the U.S.
* Largest Denominational Families, based on church attendance
* Top 10 Largest Religious Bodies in the U.S.
* Gallup Polling Data over the Last Ten Years
* Top 10 Religious Bodies with Most Churches
* Most Ubiquitous Churches in the U.S.
* Religious Bodies which are the Largest Church in One or More States

* Washington Post report on extensive year 2000 study: Faith Communities in the United States Today
* Barna Poll on actual religious beliefs - shows diversity in belief among American Christians: mainline Protestants, Catholics, Baptists, Evangelicals, Latter-day Saints, Pentecostals, etc.

Note that this page uses the terms "religion", "branch", "denominational family" and "religious body" according to the taxonomic classification of religious groups methodology.

no1tovote4 said:

Indeed, I can't think of another nation on earth that allows as much freedom to worship as America does.

akiboy said:

AkshAY b

In Dubai can one convert from Islam to another religion without losing ones head? If the answer is No then Dubai needs alot more work in the humanities department!

I think religious diversity is a very good thing. The only problem is when people decide to interfere in others' religious affairs and try to impose themselves in.

Forum List

Back