A Country with 10 major Religions ??

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by akiboy, Mar 29, 2006.

?

Should a country have more than 1 major religion ?

Poll closed Apr 8, 2006.
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. akiboy

akiboy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Well you guessed it !! Thats India. India's the only place in d world where you got mosques , churches , temples , monastries and other places of worship all under one roof. I may sound patronising but thats the truth. Yeah we do have communal flare ups but the last one was almost 16 years back. I think each and every country should allow a person to follow his/her religion. Some countries like Saudi Arabia are really strict on this . Here in Dubai we got 3 churches , one temple , a gurudwara ( for Sikhs ) and ofcourse being an Islamic country there are mosques. I think the rest of the nations in the Middle East should follow U.A.E 's example and encourage all religions. Let me know what you think of it.

AkshAY b

2. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    With religious diversity, there comes a greater understanding of other worldviews. Except for those who believe they are right and everyone else is wrong.

3. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    All real religions feel that way. The difference is the modes of behavior they use to convince others: Appeal to reason and heart, or the sword.

4. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Not sure what you mean by "all under one roof"? Is that literal of figurative? Other than that, your description sounds no different from the USA. :huh:

To answer your poll question, I think a country should have as many religions as its citizens want to have. Our country was founded on that premise.
    Unfortunately, we are seeing that given the power to do so, Islam is too intolerant a religion to allow it.

5. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Um, here in the US we have all of the major religions under one "roof"... as well as several hundred not so major religions. I think you are mistaken as India being the only place in the world that this happens, I am pretty sure there is pretty much religious freedom in the UK, France and Germany as well...

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Right you are! Links at site:

http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html

7. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Indeed, I can't think of another nation on earth that allows as much freedom to worship as America does.

8. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

In Dubai can one convert from Islam to another religion without losing ones head? If the answer is No then Dubai needs alot more work in the humanities department!

9. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I think religious diversity is a very good thing. The only problem is when people decide to interfere in others' religious affairs and try to impose themselves in.