A Conservative I agree with

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
I hope this wasn't posted, but I thought it worth a read.

The Conservative Case For Gay Marriage - Newsweek.com

"So there are now three classes of Californians: heterosexual couples who can get married, divorced, and remarried, if they wish; same-sex couples who cannot get married but can live together in domestic partnerships; and same-sex couples who are now married but who, if they divorce, cannot remarry. This is an irrational system, it is discriminatory, and it cannot stand.

Americans who believe in the words of the Declaration of Independence, in Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, in the 14th Amendment, and in the Constitution's guarantees of equal protection and equal dignity before the law cannot sit by while this wrong continues. This is not a conservative or liberal issue; it is an American one, and it is time that we, as Americans, embraced it."

Print version: The Conservative Case for Gay Marriage | Print Article | Newsweek.com

I'm a conservative, and I think that all marriages should be under the law, civil unions. It's beyond the scope of the government to regulate personal matters that affect noone.

Forum List

Back