A civilized society affords even the most heinous criminal basic human rights

Maybe we should define "basic human rights" just the lawyer in me there.

Yup. According to the left I imagine that includes TV's rec rooms and all sorts of amenities. In Florida a few years back they had a scam artist in Jail. He was using the public phone in the jail to continue to scam people illegally. They caught him and ordered his use of the phone curtailed. A Judge threw it out claiming he had a basic right to use said phone.

Prison guards, prison employees and prison administration ALL lobby for "TVs, rec rooms and all sorts of amenities" for the prisoners.
Do I have to explain to you why or can you figure that one out?

... a civilized society affords even the most heinous criminal basic human rights

Like, who?

When?

Frankly I see no precedent for the title of the OP.

Wouldn't "The most heinous criminal" be guilty of destroying civilized society?

If civilized society is destroyed, or even undermined, then how can it expect to "afford....basic rights?"

Indeed, isn't the criminal who undermines civilized society, and who suffers the consequences of a less civilized society, simply "reaping what he sowed?"

Specifically, we see criminals attack the US on 9/11. They do great damage to our society. Our society adopts less civilized means to defend itself. Who is to blame?

Us. We chose to adapt those methods when they weren't necessary.

Also they did not make civilization collapse.

I'm all for using desperate measures to stop chaos when it is unfolding, but as for the U.S. right now, the sky is not on fire.

Maybe we should define "basic human rights" just the lawyer in me there.

Yup. According to the left I imagine that includes TV's rec rooms and all sorts of amenities. In Florida a few years back they had a scam artist in Jail. He was using the public phone in the jail to continue to scam people illegally. They caught him and ordered his use of the phone curtailed. A Judge threw it out claiming he had a basic right to use said phone.

Link?

I worked for a prison for a few years as a mental health counselor. For the general population there were TVs. There were no "rec rooms" unless you want to count the yard. If you got in trouble (and it could be for a wide variety of reasons) you got sent to IMU (intensive management unit) where you had one hour out a day for "recreation" in a big concrete room, alone, with one skylight. You had no tv. (Some of the inmates said their tvs got a couple of Chinese soap operas which I guess might have helped their bilingual status a bit). You could earn a tv with extended good behavior.

I'm all for using desperate measures to stop chaos when it is unfolding, but as for the U.S. right now, the sky is not on fire.

Interesting duplicity of thought.

You want to "stop chaos," but only "when it is unfolding."

Whilst driving you only use the break pedal just before an accident.

A civilized society affords even the most heinous criminal basic human rights
No, that's a stupid society.

New Topics

Forum List

Back