A challenge to libs and a slightly different one to conservatives.

list the top FIVE things about the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA you like, respect and cherish the most?

1. No country has ever had as much power as the US and used it less
2. The US has not used war to expand our territory or force ideology
3. The culture of the US is the most dominant in the world. We have done it through media and example rather than force
4. The US culture is the most open in the world. It is constantly evolving and has been open to all ethnicities, religions and races
5. The US has contributed more to technological advances in the world than any other nation.
I just think this is an awesome post.

1. No country has ever had as much power as the US and used it less.

I respect that observation a whole lot.

This isn't entirely true, but if we qualify it with the phrase, "in modern times" i think it is true and a terrific thing to note.

3. The culture of the US is the most dominant in the world. We have done it through media and example rather than force

It is refreshing to see folks speak of the spread of American culture in terms that are not merely the set-up for a dismissive joke.

4. The US culture is the most open in the world. It is constantly evolving and has been open to all ethnicities, religions and races

Agreed. Whether we refer to it as a "melting pot" or a "mixed salad" (I have seen both metaphors used), it is a distinctive part of the American experience that we adopt much of what the rest of the world has to offer.

5. The US has contributed more to technological advances in the world than any other nation.

I also agree with this. From the notions of "mass production" to the incredible advances brought about by our Space Program, America has contributed enormously to the overall advances in the world that make life a little easier for all (and this is true even if those advances are not distributed equally throughout the world due to other sad factors).

Last edited:
list the top FIVE things about the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA you like, respect and cherish the most?

1. No country has ever had as much power as the US and used it less
I just think this is an awesome post.

1. No country has ever had as much power as the US and used it less.

I respect that observation a whole lot.

This isn't entirely true, but if we qualify it with the phrase, "in modern times" i think it is true and a terrific thing to note.

It is refreshing to see folks speak of the spread of American culture in terms that are not merely the set-up for a dismissive joke.

Agreed. Whether we refer to it as a "melting pot" or a "mixed salad" (I have seen both metaphors used), it is a distinctive part of the American experience that we adopt much of what the rest of the world has to offer.

I also agree with this. From the notions of "mass production" to the incredible advances brought about by our Space Program, America has contributed enormously to the overall advances in the world that make life a little easier for all (and this is true even if those advances are not distributed equally throughout the world due to other sad factors).
Agreed.

False.

My read on liberals is based on a significant amount of interaction with them and my inference is NOT what you attempt to recast it as.

Conservatives, too, work to address the many difficult issues this nation faces. There's nothing negative about it.

YOUR counter-argument is founded on your mistaken notions of conservatism.

What I WAS addressing was the tendency of liberals to couch their arguments in way that makes them come across (often) as disliking who and what we are.

There is nothing wrong with criticism. There is nothing wrong with attempting to improve us from whatever position we are presently in.

But there is something pretty damn ineffective in couching your clamor for change in a way that seems to be grounded on a dislike of who and what we are.

The problem is not with my perception, Adam_Clayton. The problem is with yours and the perception of all those like you. Until you recognize that problem, you will do nothing to attend to it. And as long as you don't remedy the way you address the problems, you will be forever bound by the reaction you have earned.

You limit yourselves.

Conservatives speak against the country as much as Liberals do.....only the issues change

False.

Conservatives speak out against the policies which liberalism has crafted. We criticize the direction the country has taken. That's not the same as criticism of the country.

Cuts both ways

Conservatives speak against the country as much as Liberals do.....only the issues change

False.

Conservatives speak out against the policies which liberalism has crafted. We criticize the direction the country has taken. That's not the same as criticism of the country.

Cuts both ways

Maybe yes.

Maybe no.

Bit it was not a conservative who said, "No no! Not God Bless America. God DAMN America!"

Forum List

Back