A Cease Fire

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by patrickcaturday, Jun 27, 2012.

1. patrickcaturday

patrickcaturday Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    This is probably a dumb idea but I thought that I would suggest it just to see how people react to it. I think that most of us on this board have a real interest in discussing the issues that are involved in the current situation in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict and that almost all of us would like to see a just and lasting peace, at least I would hope that is our primary motivation. This is just of course a matter of opinion but if we let our biases and ideology control our rational thought then there is no point in discussion. Unfortunately that is what I see happening on this board, almost all of us are guilty of it including me. The hate, poison, and invective that is spewed almost in every thread truly is disgusting and if it was uttered in person rather then as it is in the anonymous atmosphere of the Internet than I would wager that violence would erupt.

Keeping the above in mind I would like to suggest that the posters on this board engage in a cease fire that will last from July 3rd to August 3rd, there are a few simple rules that I would like to suggest;

1 ) All name calling must cease.

2 ) All insults of a personal nature be they regarding, race, ethnicity, religion sex, sexual orientation, political ideology, or intellect must cease.

3 ) All references to any group or groups of people as animals or sub humans must cease.

4 ) All references to people as Nazis or Zionazis must cease.

5 ) It would be acceptable to refer to an idea as being stupid or idiotic as long as that appellation was not applied to the individual presenting the idea

6 ) All posts on a thread should be disciplined in that they stay either on the

a ) main issue that the thread was started on

b ) are closely related to the main issue of the thread

c ) are not a diversion from the main issue

7 ) Opinions may be countered with opinions but facts may only be countered with facts

I think that during this time we should spend some time refining our definitions so that we have a common ground on which to communicate, a topic for example might be defining what " Jewish State " or " Islamic Republic " means and weather or not they are racists or bigoted concepts.

This is just an idea of mine and I would be interested in getting responses to it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. SAYIT

SAYIT Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,701

Really dude? Didn't you say you're a [semiliterate] UPenn grad student?

3. NeoTemplar

NeoTemplar VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Wow, i think your expecting a bit much and assuming a bit to much i mean were only human and alot of these things can get real personal, real fast.

4. P F Tinmore

P F Tinmore Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    Do you mean that we would no longer have a food fight every time someone does not like a post?

5. patrickcaturday

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143

I never said anything of the kind. I am however intrigued by where you got such an idea could you please elaborate and expand or document your thoughts on the ideas you put forth ???

I dont think that I am expecting a bit much now if you were to say that I was hoping for a lot you might be closer to the truth. Having read your posts you seem to follow most of the rules already so I don't think that it would be much of a stretch for you !!!

Pretty Funny. No I don't think it would stop the food fights LOL ! I think the rules leave plenty of opportunity to express peoples ideas and personality, but I WOULD HOPE THEY WOULD STOP THE KNIFE FIGHTS !!!

6. Hossfly

Hossfly ZIONUT Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,427
    Good idea, but just one thing. I hate Islam and Islamists and I will never change. It's in my blood and it's God's will. Sorry 'bout that. Nothing personal, hear.

7. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    Shucks, I was hoping this was about Colorado...those fires need to stop.

8. MHunterB

MHunterB Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,775
    Was there something in that list about rampant hyperbole becoming unfashionable?

9. MHunterB

MHunterB Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,775
    Hossfly, I can't condone hating a 'religion' - being disgusted with how a group of individuals within a faith tradition chooses to practice it (ie, religio-fascists of any type or creed) is another matter entirely.

I mean, who'd have seen the gulags coming out of 'universal siblinghood of humankind' and 'from each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs'??? (I know, you're going to argue that that's not a 'theology', but it's a 'world view ideology' nonetheless.....)

There's no such thing as a 'pure' or 'perfect' iteration of religion because said iteration is made by human beings.... Purity and perfection are Divine attributes which are not properly ours.

10. patrickcaturday

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143

Hoss, I think you sell yourself short. It is my belief that within all HUMAN BEINGS is the capacity to change and in some of your prior posts I have seen your humanity !!! especially the one where you talk about your experience in Germany next to the death camp. I am not asking you to love them, all I am asking is that you put a bridal upon your feelings when you are conversing with people on the board. If you look at the rules I think you will see that #5 gives you the lee way to heap as much scorn as you want upon ideas and opinions all I am asking is that we remain civil to each other !!! No reason for you to be sorry, you at least seem willing to concider the idea.

THANKS

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012