A Cease Fire

patrickcaturday

Feb 25, 2012
Rep System: Opted back in for a while.
This is probably a dumb idea but I thought that I would suggest it just to see how people react to it. I think that most of us on this board have a real interest in discussing the issues that are involved in the current situation in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict and that almost all of us would like to see a just and lasting peace, at least I would hope that is our primary motivation. This is just of course a matter of opinion but if we let our biases and ideology control our rational thought then there is no point in discussion. Unfortunately that is what I see happening on this board, almost all of us are guilty of it including me. The hate, poison, and invective that is spewed almost in every thread truly is disgusting and if it was uttered in person rather then as it is in the anonymous atmosphere of the Internet than I would wager that violence would erupt.

Keeping the above in mind I would like to suggest that the posters on this board engage in a cease fire that will last from July 3rd to August 3rd, there are a few simple rules that I would like to suggest;

1 ) All name calling must cease.

2 ) All insults of a personal nature be they regarding, race, ethnicity, religion sex, sexual orientation, political ideology, or intellect must cease.

3 ) All references to any group or groups of people as animals or sub humans must cease.

4 ) All references to people as Nazis or Zionazis must cease.

5 ) It would be acceptable to refer to an idea as being stupid or idiotic as long as that appellation was not applied to the individual presenting the idea

6 ) All posts on a thread should be disciplined in that they stay either on the

a ) main issue that the thread was started on

b ) are closely related to the main issue of the thread

c ) are not a diversion from the main issue

7 ) Opinions may be countered with opinions but facts may only be countered with facts

I think that during this time we should spend some time refining our definitions so that we have a common ground on which to communicate, a topic for example might be defining what " Jewish State " or " Islamic Republic " means and weather or not they are racists or bigoted concepts.

This is just an idea of mine and I would be interested in getting responses to it.

I think that during this time we should spend some time refining our definitions so that we have a common ground on which to communicate, a topic for example might be defining what " Jewish State " or " Islamic Republic " means and weather or not they are racists or bigoted concepts

Really dude? Didn't you say you're a [semiliterate] UPenn grad student?

This is probably a dumb idea but I thought that I would suggest it just to see how people react to it. I think that most of us on this board have a real interest in discussing the issues that are involved in the current situation in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict and that almost all of us would like to see a just and lasting peace, at least I would hope that is our primary motivation. This is just of course a matter of opinion but if we let our biases and ideology control our rational thought then there is no point in discussion. Unfortunately that is what I see happening on this board, almost all of us are guilty of it including me. The hate, poison, and invective that is spewed almost in every thread truly is disgusting and if it was uttered in person rather then as it is in the anonymous atmosphere of the Internet than I would wager that violence would erupt.

Keeping the above in mind I would like to suggest that the posters on this board engage in a cease fire that will last from July 3rd to August 3rd, there are a few simple rules that I would like to suggest;

2 ) All insults of a personal nature be they regarding, race, ethnicity, religion sex, sexual orientation, political ideology, or intellect must cease.

3 ) All references to any group or groups of people as animals or sub humans must cease.

5 ) It would be acceptable to refer to an idea as being stupid or idiotic as long as that appellation was not applied to the individual presenting the idea

7 ) Opinions may be countered with opinions but facts may only be countered with facts

I think that during this time we should spend some time refining our definitions so that we have a common ground on which to communicate, a topic for example might be defining what " Jewish State " or " Islamic Republic " means and weather or not they are racists or bigoted concepts.

This is just an idea of mine and I would be interested in getting responses to it.

Wow, i think your expecting a bit much and assuming a bit to much i mean were only human and alot of these things can get real personal, real fast.

Do you mean that we would no longer have a food fight every time someone does not like a post?

Quote from Sayit;

Really dude? Didn't you say you're a [semiliterate] UPenn grad student?

I never said anything of the kind. I am however intrigued by where you got such an idea could you please elaborate and expand or document your thoughts on the ideas you put forth ???

Quote from NeoTemplar;

Wow, i think your expecting a bit much and assuming a bit to much i mean were only human and alot of these things can get real personal, real fast.

I dont think that I am expecting a bit much now if you were to say that I was hoping for a lot you might be closer to the truth. Having read your posts you seem to follow most of the rules already so I don't think that it would be much of a stretch for you !!!

Quote from P F Tinmore;

Do you mean that we would no longer have a food fight every time someone does not like a post?

Pretty Funny. No I don't think it would stop the food fights LOL ! I think the rules leave plenty of opportunity to express peoples ideas and personality, but I WOULD HOPE THEY WOULD STOP THE KNIFE FIGHTS !!!

Good idea, but just one thing. I hate Islam and Islamists and I will never change. It's in my blood and it's God's will. Sorry 'bout that. Nothing personal, hear.

Was there something in that list about rampant hyperbole becoming unfashionable?

Hossfly, I can't condone hating a 'religion' - being disgusted with how a group of individuals within a faith tradition chooses to practice it (ie, religio-fascists of any type or creed) is another matter entirely.

I mean, who'd have seen the gulags coming out of 'universal siblinghood of humankind' and 'from each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs'??? (I know, you're going to argue that that's not a 'theology', but it's a 'world view ideology' nonetheless.....)

There's no such thing as a 'pure' or 'perfect' iteration of religion because said iteration is made by human beings.... Purity and perfection are Divine attributes which are not properly ours.

Good idea, but just one thing. I hate Islam and Islamists and I will never change. It's in my blood and it's God's will. Sorry 'bout that. Nothing personal, hear.

Hoss, I think you sell yourself short. It is my belief that within all HUMAN BEINGS is the capacity to change and in some of your prior posts I have seen your humanity !!! especially the one where you talk about your experience in Germany next to the death camp. I am not asking you to love them, all I am asking is that you put a bridal upon your feelings when you are conversing with people on the board. If you look at the rules I think you will see that #5 gives you the lee way to heap as much scorn as you want upon ideas and opinions all I am asking is that we remain civil to each other !!! No reason for you to be sorry, you at least seem willing to concider the idea.

THANKS

Last edited:
Hossfly, I can't condone hating a 'religion' - being disgusted with how a group of individuals within a faith tradition chooses to practice it (ie, religio-fascists of any type or creed) is another matter entirely.

I mean, who'd have seen the gulags coming out of 'universal siblinghood of humankind' and 'from each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs'??? (I know, you're going to argue that that's not a 'theology', but it's a 'world view ideology' nonetheless.....)

There's no such thing as a 'pure' or 'perfect' iteration of religion because said iteration is made by human beings.... Purity and perfection are Divine attributes which are not properly ours.
I can understand your philosophy and I agree with you. However I never said I hated a religion. My comment was that I hated Islam and Islamists. Islam shouuld not be acceped as a religion by civilized people as it was invented by an evil human being and in my and others opinion is a cult and a perverted way of life for a quarter of the Earth's population. As for the people of Islam I have no quarrel with them other than their belief. Now, if in the end I am wrong, then am I willing to take whatever punishment that is meted out. But I look forward to seeing all the righteous in heaven or whatever passes for paradise.

I can understand your philosophy and I agree with you. However I never said I hated a religion. My comment was that I hated Islam and Islamists. Islam shouuld not be acceped as a religion by civilized people as it was invented by an evil human being and in my and others opinion is a cult and a perverted way of life for a quarter of the Earth's population. As for the people of Islam I have no quarrel with them other than their belief. Now, if in the end I am wrong, then am I willing to take whatever punishment that is meted out. But I look forward to seeing all the righteous in heaven or whatever passes for paradise.

Hossfly,

Wow, you must really hate Jesus Christ, reading your comments here. I mean He Himself said those who do not heed His commandments hate Him.

He was the one who set forth the command, love your enemies, and do not judge others, and I give you a new command, love one another as I have loved you. He was the one who befriended all the hated ones in the society He lived within. He befriended the Samaritans of Samaria, the people who righteous Jews looked down upon, the people whose lands most Jews would not even walk inside, whose wells they would not drink from.

You sound much like those Pharisees Jesus addressed in Matthew 23.

May God forgive you, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Sherri

Last edited:

:clap2:

patrick,

While I agree with some of what you say, I cannot agree with all of it and frankly I am concerned such rules might cause more problems then the problems they seemingly address. When you start limiting discussions, for example, there is much difference of opinion as to what each of us sees as what is related and not related to a topic, and enforcing such rules leads to censorship. Having just spent a substantial amount of time spanning years on a board that is day by day embracing greater censorship, I certainly can testify to the evils of censorship. I would choose to be called names 24/7 over choosing censorship. Further, we are all human beings and we bring something personal from each of us into our discussions, we do not need that censored out of our discussions.

One thing I do think is helpful, is to realize every person has the capacity to do great good and great evil, and none of us get it all right. Bad acts can be chosen by any person, anytime, and in that same fashion a person who chooses evil may choose good tomorrow. One of the best things one can do when one has negative feelings for anyone, is pray for them, it frees us from our hate, you cannot pray for someone and hate them at the same time. Prayer transforms.

Sherri

patrick,

While I agree with some of what you say, I cannot agree with all of it and frankly I am concerned such rules might cause more problems then the problems they seemingly address. When you start limiting discussions, for example, there is much difference of opinion as to what each of us sees as what is related and not related to a topic, and enforcing such rules leads to censorship. Having just spent a substantial amount of time spanning years on a board that is day by day embracing greater censorship, I certainly can testify to the evils of censorship. I would choose to be called names 24/7 over choosing censorship. Further, we are all human beings and we bring something personal from each of us into our discussions, we do not need that censored out of our discussions.

One thing I do think is helpful, is to realize every person has the capacity to do great good and great evil, and none of us get it all right. Bad acts can be chosen by any person, anytime, and in that same fashion a person who chooses evil may choose good tomorrow. One of the best things one can do when one has negative feelings for anyone, is pray for them, it frees us from our hate, you cannot pray for someone and hate them at the same time. Prayer transforms.

Sherri

Sherri;

Thank you for your kind response. Many of your concerns are ones that I have myself, I have never been a fan of censorship and I never will be. It was for this reason that I did not include any sort of enforcement mechanism in my rules, it was my idea that the Cease Fire would depend on peoples willingness to be civil to each other and their goodwill. I think if you examine the rules further you will see that they only seek to censor incivility and I think rules # 5,6,&7 address the individuals right to allow their own personality to flow in their words and also to express and discuss their own opinions.

This idea is completely voluntary and I for my part will not offer any judgement either good or bad. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Patrickcaturday

Hossfly,

Wow, you must really hate Jesus Christ, reading your comments here. I mean He Himself said those who do not heed His commandments hate Him.

He was the one who set forth the command, love your enemies, and do not judge others, and I give you a new command, love one another as I have loved you. He was the one who befriended all the hated ones in the society He lived within. He befriended the Samaritans of Samaria, the people who righteous Jews looked down upon, the people whose lands most Jews would not even walk inside, whose wells they would not drink from.

Sherri
I have no idea what you are talking about nor do I understand where you got all that information you saddle me with. As for me and God, we get along jes' fine.

Hossfly,

Sherri
I have no idea what you are talking about nor do I understand where you got all that information you saddle me with. As for me and God, we get along jes' fine.
I see Sherri has abandoned this thread.

Forum List

Back