A Canadian Town Offends Some Muslims

Again I say it takes the muslim community around the world to stand up against terror, if they can't then who in there right minds could actually respect them as a culture and second as a religious sect in the world. Are the majority of the muslims living a lesser life than these radicals? if that is the case then it is fully understood why the majority of the muslims can't speak out against jihad or terror.

Again I say it takes the muslim community around the world to stand up against terror, if they can't then who in there right minds could actually respect them as a culture and second as a religious sect in the world. QUOTE]

Again, it takes the secular, Christian, and western people to stand up and STOP commiting teror, and start denouncing it, if they can't, who in their right mind could respect them as a culture?

We don't like terror committed against us, neither do they. Nobody seems to have much trouble when their friends or themselves commit anything...

Again I say it takes the muslim community around the world to stand up against terror, if they can't then who in there right minds could actually respect them as a culture and second as a religious sect in the world. Are the majority of the muslims living a lesser life than these radicals? if that is the case then it is fully understood why the majority of the muslims can't speak out against jihad or terror.

They speak out, but not nearly enough. The vocal minority of Islamic extremists drowns the rest of the Muslim community out. The extremists make up a very small minority of Muslims world wide. I half way agree with you. To get rid of Muslim extremism we need the entire Muslim nation to stand up against extremism. I get the feeling that the reason they haven't is because deep down most Muslims are apologists for the behavior.

They speak out, but not nearly enough. The vocal minority of Islamic extremists drowns the rest of the Muslim community out. The extremists make up a very small minority of Muslims world wide. I half way agree with you. To get rid of Muslim extremism we need the entire Muslim nation to stand up against extremism. I get the feeling that the reason they haven't is because deep down most Muslims are apologists for the behavior.

Sounds like the small, very vocal minorities in North America.

Well, in Canada, only about five entities control all media... and down south it's about the same or worse. Now, before I sound paranoid, I know there are tons of poor, working-class lefties that sit on the board of directors of national media and their biggest advertisers, I just think they let the right-wing, moneyed, militaristic elements run the show.

Even the left-leaning pubs like the Toronto Star have righty writers and called the Iraq situation a 'war'.

Well, in Canada, only about five entities control all media... and down south it's about the same or worse. Now, before I sound paranoid, I know there are tons of poor, working-class lefties that sit on the board of directors of national media and their biggest advertisers, I just think they let the right-wing, moneyed, militaristic elements run the show.

Even the left-leaning pubs like the Toronto Star have righty writers and called the Iraq situation a 'war'.

Heh? What five entities? What are you taking about?

Heh? What five entities? What are you taking about?

From wikipedia

Apart from the public Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, commercial media in Canada are primarily owned by a small number of companies, including CTVglobemedia, Canwest Global, CHUM, Rogers, Standard, Shaw, Astral, Newcap and Quebecor. Each of these companies holds a diverse mix of television, cable television, radio, newspaper, magazine and/or internet operations. Some smaller media companies also exist.

From wikipedia

Apart from the public Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, commercial media in Canada are primarily owned by a small number of companies, including CTVglobemedia, Canwest Global, CHUM, Rogers, Standard, Shaw, Astral, Newcap and Quebecor. Each of these companies holds a diverse mix of television, cable television, radio, newspaper, magazine and/or internet operations. Some smaller media companies also exist.

Where's the link?

Actually, up until recently one person owned most of it. He still owns the Jersalem times, and possibly a few other venues, not sure at this point.

Anyway, what does this have to do with your original point about vocal minorities in the first place? The majority of those companies listed above broadcast American sitcoms, dramas, all news stations such as CNN and FOX. Aside from local stations, which feed off the lager outlets for major news stories, we see what you see.

CBC, no make that Canada, is nortoriously left leaning regardless of media ownership. That I do know.

Where's the link?

Actually, up until recently one person owned most of it. He still owns the Jersalem times, and possibly a few other venues, not sure at this point.

Anyway, what does this have to do with your original point about vocal minorities in the first place? The majority of those companies listed above broadcast American sitcoms, dramas, all news stations such as CNN and FOX. Aside from local stations, which feed off the lager outlets for major news stories, we see what you see.

CBC, no make that Canada, is nortoriously left leaning regardless of media ownership. That I do know.

No link - sorry, it was tough to find and I forgot, anyway my original point was roughly that, about small numbers controlling what the rest see/hear about, what gets debated, what doesn't, even who GETS to debate (see Green party vs CTV in Canada). Then I got onto the media thing and so on...

Lastly, news that reviews ugly truths about military ventures, or big business is not automatically 'left leaning'.

Forum List

Back