A Call for Progressive Values: Evolved, Unapologetic and Urgent

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
WASHINGTON — He did not utter the words, but President Obama suffused his second Inaugural Address with the spirit of a favorite phrase: the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s call to heed “the fierce urgency of now.”

This was a president unbound from much of what defined him upon taking office four years ago, a man clearly cognizant of time already running down on his opportunity to make his imprint on the country and on history.

Gone were the vision of a new kind of high-minded politics, the constraint of a future re-election campaign and the weight of unrealistic expectations. In their place was an unapologetic argument that modern liberalism was perfectly consistent with the spirit of the founders and a notice that, with no immediate crisis facing the nation, Mr. Obama intended to use the full powers of his office for progressive values.

“We must act, knowing that our work will be imperfect,” he said.

After spending much of his first term “evolving” on the question of same-sex marriage and doing too little in the eyes of many African-Americans to address poverty and civil rights, he invoked “Seneca Falls and Selma and Stonewall” and cited responsibility for the poor, sick and displaced.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/22/u...-urgent-call-for-progressive-values.html?_r=0

If he has any ideas which meet the Tea Party approval in the House, perhaps some of them might even be considered working into some legislation.

LOL

Man I bet that writer was playing with themselves and getting all warm and gooey when they wrote that article..

Obama is evolving...dear gawd:lol:

I once asked a self described "progressive" guy that I personally knew.

"So tell me; what exactly are you progressing to?"

He just look at me like a deer caught in the headlights and silently walked away........ :lol:

When liberals experience defeat at the polls, they hope that next time around, the thoughtful and intelligent voters are motivated to head to the polls. They work toward that end.

Try it, nutters. It works.

When liberals experience defeat at the polls, they hope that next time around, the thoughtful and intelligent voters are motivated to head to the polls. They work toward that end.

Try it, nutters. It works.

The Republicans won the House. Did Owebama, in his Inaugural hate speech, share any great 2nd term agenda ideas which the Tea Party will sign off on, or not?

LOL

You guys are so funny. You spent 4 years, and the last Campaign denying he was a lefty, Progressive. He won both Elections by pretending to be much more Centrist, yet now you think the American People really want his Progressive Agenda that he denied he had, shoved down their throats.

You guys are so funny. You spent 4 years, and the last Campaign denying he was a lefty, Progressive. He won both Elections by pretending to be much more Centrist, yet now you think the American People really want his Progressive Agenda that he denied he had, shoved down their throats.

They lost the Kennedy seat because of his Liberalism, they will get shellacked in the midterms once again

Forum List

Back