A Byzantine lament for a lost wife

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
I was born in the light of day and in a worldly valley. I was brought up in pleasure like an innocent lamb. Living thus in luxury, enjoying myself and benefitting from the greatest good fortune. I gave no heed to misfortune, but taking delight, so to speak, in my own soul, I was running the course of my life replete with all goodness.

For what good thing did I no fully have at my disposal? With what objects of desire was I not richly endowed? I filled my heart completely and abundantly with everything. I felt utmost joy in my soul and in my soul mate – for speech cannot call her by any other name than “a like soul” and “a sharer of my life.”

Oh, terrible calamity! What can I say? I am torn apart in my soul. What shall I utter as I pour out my voice in my loss? What shall I cry out as I articulate unintelligible and ill-omened sounds? I am really absolutely shaken, even if someone should say that the constitution of the soul is brave. An abundance of people have received my benefaction, but I wander about powerlessly, suffering this affliction.

An inconsolable misfortune has seized me. A worm presses on my bones, causing their joints to dissolve. A chimera of thoughts burns me up. A hydra of reflections – a many-shaped and many-headed monster – tears my soul with its teeth. A viper of pain is devouring my entrails. Sorrow, a veritable dragon, consumes me. A basilisk of suffering enslaves the imperial character of my free spirit. Instead of stepping on top, I am trampled underfoot. Instead of crushing, I am crushed to pieces. Instead of raising my head because of great virtues and happiness, I am hapless.
A Byzantine lament for a lost wife - Medievalists.net

I like the following verses better than the ones I posted.

Forum List

Back