A British care system.

Discussion in 'ObamaCare' started by BML, Jul 18, 2018.

1. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,434
    Fine, but there are others.

I have members of my family who struggle to work. It's not about laziness, they do volunteer work, but there are times when they can't, and people they can't deal with. They'll never have the money they need to be able to pay for the healthcare they need.

2. Anathema

Anathema Crotchety Olde Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,878
    I do too. My wife can’t work due to her PTSD. I provide her support. That’s what families, friends and local charities are for.

3. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,386
    I guess you're curious why many Americans are opposed to ACA. Here's my take: I don't want Donald Trump, or any other elected official, making decisions regarding my family's health care. Period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. grainbely

grainbely Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +452
    I love the "I am an an island" personal responsibility line. If you want to be an island and evade taxes I suggest you liquidate your assets and float out to international waters. You can be an island out there.

5. frigidweirdo

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,434
    Isn't that what society is for? Should society look after those more unfortunate than others?

Society back in the day used to be small, a few hundred people who looked after each other. Society has grown too big that people don't care about each other.

6. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,386
    Society, yes. Government, no.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Anathema

Anathema Crotchety Olde Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,878
    dblack hit the nail squarely on the head... Society and Gocernment are not the same thing. The individuals and private entities that make up Society offer free choice in who they support and who they don’t. Government simply steals our money to support those people who they believe should be supported.

8. frigidweirdo

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,434
    Well, the problem is that what government SHOULD be, it isn't. Government, especially with democratic govt, is where people's choices are made.

However in the US the two political parties tell people how to think, rather than the voters telling the politicians.

When you have gerrymandering like crazy, when you have Wyoming with a vote three times more powerful than California, and neither state even gets a say in the election anyway, only 12 states do, you know things are wrong.

In Germany people get a say. 95% of people get the representative of their choice.

In the US, i'm not sure if anyone does.

Certainly in the German election with FPTP (Like the US has) the CDU/CSU gained 37% of the vote and 77% of the seats. With PR they got only 33% of the vote and 34.7% of the seats.

The difference is clear that in the US the system decides, not the votes. When this happens you get what you get.

The US has some of the worst problems in the western world. Ghettos with gun violence worse than anywhere else.

People refuse to see reality because the politicians need them to listen to them, because otherwise they lose their cash cow.

• Funny Funny x 1