A Brewing Cat Fight for the Dems?

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Blacks versus Browns
By Ruben Navarrette, Jr., San Diego Union-Tribune
February 1, 2006

In college, my African-American friends and I used to call it “the black-brown thing.” It's the uneasy tension – and occasional conflict – between the nation's largest minority and the group that formerly held the title.

In the 1990s, the phenomenon was most prevalent in major cities such as Los Angeles, New York, Chicago and Miami – large urban centers where significant numbers of African-Americans and Latinos lived side by side.

Today, ground zero is New Orleans, where a lot of African-Americans are no longer sure they want to live and where a lot more Latinos have gone to find work.

The fact that there is a new spice in the gumbo hasn't gotten by the Rev. Jesse Jackson. Since Hurricane Katrina struck, the civil rights leader has worried about the city's changing demographics in a way that brings to mind how whites used to worry about African-Americans moving into cities before many of those whites took flight to the suburbs.

During a recent appearance on CNN's “Lou Dobbs Tonight,” Jackson again complained that, as New Orleans is being rebuilt, “outside workers” are displacing natives of the city. (Translation: Latino immigrants are taking jobs that might otherwise go to African-Americans.)

for full article
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/op-ed/navarrette/20060201-9999-lz1e1navarr.html

This may be unfair, but I'm sick of the whole New Orleans deal. Let LA do what they will with it. The people are whiny and unsatisfied, no matter how much public or private help is given. I'd rather give to Pakistan earthquake relief.

I thought this could become a pretty big problem for the Dems, considering that the "blacks" and the "browns" are two of their largest power bases, and are beginning to get up in arms against each other over jobs for rebuilding New Orleans, and even over residency in the city. Bring Mayor Nagin and Gov. Blanco into the picture with their problem-solving abilities, and this could get mighty interesting. :)

Forum List

Back