A boy, pledge of allegiance, and gay marriage

Probably, since the concept of keeping one's commitments and fulfilling one's obligations seems to have fallen out of fashion.

Yes, because we all know that standing and giving a pledge by rote memorization every morning is the end all and be all of being a true patriot.

Hey, don't blame ME if you weren't bright enough to understand what the pledge meant in elementary school. And please don't project your comprehension problems onto the rest of us.

Yeah...cause I'm sure that you are sure that's what I meant.

:lol::lol::lol:

I had a Puerto Rican student refuse to stand for the Pledge. He claimed he was "Puerto Rican and not American" Um ok. His real reason was he was just lazy and defiant. The principal said "That's ok". Shortly thereafter half the class refused to stand because they were "too tired". We might as well do away with it. Losers often win. Esp. in public education.

I don't think any child should be pushed to participate in any nationalistic bullshit parade - especially one that is of another nationality. I think the best way one can show 'respect to America' is by being true to its values - such as freedom of expression and freedom of speech - and not by some brainless mouthing of words every morning.
Since when are Puerto Ricans not Americans?

I had a Puerto Rican student refuse to stand for the Pledge. He claimed he was "Puerto Rican and not American" Um ok. His real reason was he was just lazy and defiant. The principal said "That's ok". Shortly thereafter half the class refused to stand because they were "too tired". We might as well do away with it. Losers often win. Esp. in public education.

I don't think any child should be pushed to participate in any nationalistic bullshit parade - especially one that is of another nationality. I think the best way one can show 'respect to America' is by being true to its values - such as freedom of expression and freedom of speech - and not by some brainless mouthing of words every morning.

I think that was part of the point.

And my point is that the poster is ignorant.

And my point is that the poster is ignorant.

If the boy doesn't feel himself to be American, but rather identifies himself mainly as a Puerto Rican, then he shouldn't be pushed into even standing at the pledge of allegiance. Is that better? I am aware that Puerto Rico is USA's de facto commonwealth state. Puerto Ricans also happen to be rather proud of being Puerto Rican ... I have never met a Puerto Rican that said, I'm American first, Puerto Rican second ... it was always the other way around. I'm sure Puerto Rican flag is one of the few that almost any American can identify ... (doh) There are Hawaiians that don't feel 'American' (for obvious reasons) even though their island is legally part of the USA. Do you have any other points?

An oath, or pledge given under coercion holds no value. Yet, he could hold true to his beliefs while standing quietly and respecting those that do give the pledge.

Forum List

Back