A Blueprint for Immigration Reform

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Adam's Apple, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I could support this proposal. Wonder why our elected representatives in Congress can't come up with anything as sensible as this?

Here's Blueprint for Congress on Immigration Reform
    By Lee Hamilton, The Indianapolis Star
    November 7, 2006

This year, 2006, will be remembered in part as the year that immigration vaulted to the forefront of American politics. As attempts at reform stalled in Congress, there is agreement on one point: The status quo is unacceptable, and dramatic reform is necessary.

Over the last year, I co-chaired a task force on "Immigration and America's Future" with former Sen. Spencer Abraham. The context for our work is one of the most intense and sustained periods of immigration, legal and illegal, in American history. In our recently released report, we try to address the diverse issues, be they related to economic, security, or social concerns.

We found that immigration enables growth and innovation, as our economy creates more jobs than native-born workers can fill. Immigrants also bring unique and diverse skills and experiences, making America more competitive and dynamic.

Yet there are grave challenges. Our complex immigration system is outdated and unable to meet the demands of the economy or immigrants who play by the rules. The presence of nearly 12 million unauthorized immigrants poses security risks, burdens local governments, prevents immigrant integration, and can undercut native workers.

We concluded that immigration is essential to U.S. interests. To maximize the benefits and minimize the strains caused by immigration, our task force recommends a new immigration policy and system. Our proposal is comprehensive and establishes rules that are simplified, fair, practical and enforceable.

for full article:
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006611070324

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    WOW! Something that makes sense...heck, I'd even consider voting for a Democrat if they ran on this (among other things). They would have to convince me they would really do it though.

3. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Lee Hamilton is a Democrat. Spencer Abraham is a Republican. Their proposal just goes to show you that, when Republicans and Democrats try to work together, they can come up with terrific solutions to the nation's problems. Why do we, as a people, put up with the confrontational politics constantly being waged in Washington instead of demanding that both parties work together to find solutions to our problems?

4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,141
    This actually looks like a decent plan. Of course, id like to see more specifics. but i could get on board with something like this if they enforced the borders.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    That would be fine, but the problem is not and never has been those entering legally. It's the illegals that are the problem.

6. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The need to stop special interest groups and a need to stop haggeling about the real issue. Immigration reform and keeping the illegals out from whatever country they come from. When the American people realize that it isn't just Mexico where the borders are out of control but our whole country including our seaports and airports as well.

7. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    If a worker is hired long term, then why can't he become a permanent immigrant right from the start? Why do we need "guest workers" or "provisional" workers? Why not just temporary or permanent?

Would we be matching workers with the job market? If immigrants from India were preferable to do the work because they are more educated, then how would that stop the incoming flow of uneducated Mexican illegals? Also, how would this approach affect overall American wages?

Only legal immigrants should be given worker protections. Targeting and punishing employers who hire illegals has been discussed by many as one of the main ways to stop incoming illegals.

This is essentially the Bush plan...amnesty.

8. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Does this bother anyone else but me? Biometric social security card? Is this the mark of the beast?

9. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    AdamsApple posts:

First of all, they AREN'T unauthorized immigrants, they're CRIMINALS.

This has been a liberal talkings point for years, again, I don't belive the "unique and diverse skills and experiences" of the CRIMINALS crossing our boarders out weights the criminal mentality, disease, strain on our infrastructure, which include medical, emergency personal, and education.

GO HOME!:tank:

10. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    Yep, bothers me. I'm totally FED UP with the crime element forcing us Americans to lose our existing way of life. I'm with trobinett - why don't we STAMP OUT the damn criminals instead of letting crime put chains on us law-abiding citizens? :wtf: