A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police

Banks put a hold usually 7 days on large checks
When I opened a checking account down here I did it with my last rag consultant check which was $178,000.00...they cleared 5 grand instantly

This is just a shucking and jiving crybaby ****** who already swindled anothEr company claiming racial discrimination...

They hold a check for 7 days?

Do they call the cops while they do?

Although there are many who refuse to believe this (or just don't care that racial discrimination is still occuring in year 2020) I have plenty of first hand experience to the contrary.

I just read in the news yesterday that former Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf has been barred from the banking industry for life after it was exposed that Wells Fargo employees were opening additional accounts of their existing customers without their knowledge or consent.

A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police.

Ironically, the checks that Sauntore Thomas tried to deposit were from a settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.
200124-sauntore-thomas-ew-1016a_a724169e049fac56a43d4d6e25133da8.fit-760w.jpg

Sauntore Thomas, right, and his lawyer, Deborah Gordon, left, on Jan. 23, 2020 in Bloomfield Hills,

Mich.Mike Householder / AP
Jan. 24, 2020, 8:51 AM PST
By Minyvonne Burke

An African American man who went to his local bank in Michigan to deposit checks had the police called on him by a branch manager suspecting fraud.

Ironically, the checks, totaling $99,000, that Sauntore Thomas, 44, sought to deposit at TCF Bank in Livonia were part of a court settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.

Now Thomas, an Air Force veteran, has sued his bank's holding company, TCF Financial Corp., alleging racial discrimination.

The suit filed this week in Wayne County Circuit Court says Thomas has had a checking account at the bank since 2018, and he went there on Tuesday asking the branch manager to open a savings account for him so he could deposit the checks.

But the manager became suspicious that the checks were fraudulent and questioned Thomas about where he got them, the suit alleges.

The manager told Thomas that the checks would need to be verified, but that the computer system the bank uses to verify checks was not working. In order to complete Thomas' transaction, the manager said she would need to go in the back and "call in the checks," the suit says.

Instead of trying to verify the checks, the suit claims that the manager refused to deposit them and then went into the back to call Livonia police. Four officers arrived at the bank and questioned Thomas about the checks.

Thomas called his lawyer on the phone to have her verify where he got the checks from but that still did not satisfy the branch manager.

"Defendant still refused to deposit the checks," the suit states. "TCF Bank subsequently filed a police report against Plaintiff for check fraud."

Thomas eventually left the bank and went somewhere else to deposit his checks. The lawsuit claims that Thomas' race "was a factor in Defendant's decision to treat him less favorably than other individuals."

Thomas reiterated that sentiment during an interview with the The Associated Press.

“They did not want to assist me because I was African American. They didn’t want to assist me because they assumed that I had a fraudulent check, which was far from the truth," he told the outlet, adding, "This was no mistake."

A spokesman for TCF did not immediately return NBC News' request for comment. The bank told the Detroit Free Press in a statement that the police should not have been called on Thomas and that it apologizes for what happened.

“We strongly condemn racism and discrimination of any kind,” the bank said. “We take extra precautions involving large deposits and requests for cash, and in this case, we were unable to validate the checks presented by Mr. Thomas and regret we could not meet his needs.”

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress. He is seeking damages.

A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police.
How stupid. Deposit the check, hold the funds for 7 business days. Then, release the funds. Regardless of what else happens, the branch manager needs to be fired for incompetence.
Put a hold on the checks

Don’t call the police unless they bounce

I'm sure he caused a scene.

"You're not cashing my check because I'm black!!!!"
I'm sure he didn't.

They called the police, because he didn't cause a scene?
Nigga please!
The article says the manager went in the back and called the cops

Nothing about him causing a scene

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
That day, Thomas withdrew the rest of his money from TCF Bank and closed his account. An hour later, he walked into a Chase Bank, opened an account and deposited the checks without issue, Gordon said. The next morning, the money was available.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

He tried to deposit them into his bank account, but an assistant manager refused and, suspecting fraud, eventually called the police.
Why did they suspect fraud? That's the question. It seems like they suspected fraud because the man was black. Obviously nothing was wrong with the checks or his identification.
He was an account holder

All they had to do was clear the check and place a hold on it. If it did not clear, THEN go after him

He tried to deposit them into his bank account, but an assistant manager refused and, suspecting fraud, eventually called the police.
Why did they suspect fraud? That's the question. It seems like they suspected fraud because the man was black. Obviously nothing was wrong with the checks or his identification.

Why did they suspect fraud? That's the question.

It sounds like one of their systems was down.
That, and his insistence that they cash one, immediately...……..

He found something he's good at
More like, the rest of the world has always been good at racism, and now they are being punished.

Sounds like he wanted to deposit the checks and immediately get cash.

If so he should have had the Lawyer call their bank and allow him to cash those checks...

My lawyer did that for me...
The article says that the attorney's office which issued the checks was contacted and that they verified that they issued the check to him. That still was not sufficient for the bank employee.

The article says that the attorney's office which issued the checks was contacted and that they verified that they issued the check to him. That still was not sufficient for the bank employee.
Nor would it be good enough for anyone. You don't call the person who wrote the check and ask them if it is good. You verify funds with the institution that issued the check.

Although there are many who refuse to believe this (or just don't care that racial discrimination is still occuring in year 2020) I have plenty of first hand experience to the contrary.

I just read in the news yesterday that former Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf has been barred from the banking industry for life after it was exposed that Wells Fargo employees were opening additional accounts of their existing customers without their knowledge or consent.

Ironically, the checks that Sauntore Thomas tried to deposit were from a settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.
200124-sauntore-thomas-ew-1016a_a724169e049fac56a43d4d6e25133da8.fit-760w.jpg

Sauntore Thomas, right, and his lawyer, Deborah Gordon, left, on Jan. 23, 2020 in Bloomfield Hills,

Mich.Mike Householder / AP
Jan. 24, 2020, 8:51 AM PST
By Minyvonne Burke

An African American man who went to his local bank in Michigan to deposit checks had the police called on him by a branch manager suspecting fraud.

Ironically, the checks, totaling $99,000, that Sauntore Thomas, 44, sought to deposit at TCF Bank in Livonia were part of a court settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.

Now Thomas, an Air Force veteran, has sued his bank's holding company, TCF Financial Corp., alleging racial discrimination.

The suit filed this week in Wayne County Circuit Court says Thomas has had a checking account at the bank since 2018, and he went there on Tuesday asking the branch manager to open a savings account for him so he could deposit the checks.

But the manager became suspicious that the checks were fraudulent and questioned Thomas about where he got them, the suit alleges.

The manager told Thomas that the checks would need to be verified, but that the computer system the bank uses to verify checks was not working. In order to complete Thomas' transaction, the manager said she would need to go in the back and "call in the checks," the suit says.

Instead of trying to verify the checks, the suit claims that the manager refused to deposit them and then went into the back to call Livonia police. Four officers arrived at the bank and questioned Thomas about the checks.

Thomas called his lawyer on the phone to have her verify where he got the checks from but that still did not satisfy the branch manager.

"Defendant still refused to deposit the checks," the suit states. "TCF Bank subsequently filed a police report against Plaintiff for check fraud."

Thomas eventually left the bank and went somewhere else to deposit his checks. The lawsuit claims that Thomas' race "was a factor in Defendant's decision to treat him less favorably than other individuals."

Thomas reiterated that sentiment during an interview with the The Associated Press.

“They did not want to assist me because I was African American. They didn’t want to assist me because they assumed that I had a fraudulent check, which was far from the truth," he told the outlet, adding, "This was no mistake."

A spokesman for TCF did not immediately return NBC News' request for comment. The bank told the Detroit Free Press in a statement that the police should not have been called on Thomas and that it apologizes for what happened.

“We strongly condemn racism and discrimination of any kind,” the bank said. “We take extra precautions involving large deposits and requests for cash, and in this case, we were unable to validate the checks presented by Mr. Thomas and regret we could not meet his needs.”

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress. He is seeking damages.

Gee I wonder where he'll be depositing the checks those assholes will have to right. Maybe he should make them pay in cash as they apparently aren't very trustworthy.
Its virtually impossible to bank large amounts of cash.
It shouldn't be. That's what banks are for. Another damn thing gone off the rails because of the idiotic drug bullshit. Phohabition just does not work. All it does is muck life up for everyone else.

It happens to whites as well. To such a degree that the banks are protected:
Your bank may deny your items for deposit if they have reason to be suspicious. Suspicious items are covered in Regulation CC 229.13

The man himself may have been acting suspicious to further his discrimination career. Who knows. Regardless, it is legally, the banker's call. And with the amount at stake, I am sure the bank wanted to err on the side of the bank.
Banks are equal opportunity discriminators. They hate us all...
This is the problem. Blacks now believe they have immunity

Certainly the Company name was on those checks and the bank manager could have called that company.
No, that would be stupid. No financial institution would ever do such a thing. Only the issuing financial institution could verify the funds, and most, if not all, institutions will not verify funds, if they are in a client/member account, without the client/member's consent. You are not following.

If policy was followed that applies to everyone, then racism is not a factor.

However, if they completely refused to take the deposit at all, the guy may have a legitimate beef. That would not represent following a policy that applies to everyone.
So wh
If policy was followed that applies to everyone, then racism is not a factor.

However, if they completely refused to take the deposit at all, the guy may have a legitimate beef. That would not represent following a policy that applies to everyone.
The article indicates that he had to take the checks else where so yes the bank refused him, an existing customer, services. I'm sure that the bank that the checks were drawn on would have been happy to open an account for him so that the funds stayed with their institution, however it can be inconvenient to have to have two different banks to deal with when there was absolutely no reason for him not to have been able to open an addition account with his current bank. And there is no indication in the article whether or not that bank was a local one.

And what policy involves calling the police because the banker was unable to verify the funds? He wasn't arrest so he obviously had committed no crime. The police element was just to insult and hujmiliate him.

He found something he's good at
More like, the rest of the world has always been good at racism, and now they are being punished.

Sounds like he wanted to deposit the checks and immediately get cash.

If so he should have had the Lawyer call their bank and allow him to cash those checks...

My lawyer did that for me...

Excuse me, but this LaMont's attorney, Fred Sanford, that issued the check. It's good, I can assure you. What proof do I have that I am who I claim to be? Just ask LaMont.

Forum List

Back