A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police

Funny how people say this and we don't see any evidence that it has ever happened.
Which, of course, likely only means you just haven't heard about it, considering that it is almost certainly policy at every single financial institution.

Why aren't you considering that simple idea? Should I call that, "Funny", to use your word?

Although there are many who refuse to believe this (or just don't care that racial discrimination is still occuring in year 2020) I have plenty of first hand experience to the contrary.

I just read in the news yesterday that former Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf has been barred from the banking industry for life after it was exposed that Wells Fargo employees were opening additional accounts of their existing customers without their knowledge or consent.

A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police.

Ironically, the checks that Sauntore Thomas tried to deposit were from a settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.
200124-sauntore-thomas-ew-1016a_a724169e049fac56a43d4d6e25133da8.fit-760w.jpg

Sauntore Thomas, right, and his lawyer, Deborah Gordon, left, on Jan. 23, 2020 in Bloomfield Hills,

Mich.Mike Householder / AP
Jan. 24, 2020, 8:51 AM PST
By Minyvonne Burke

An African American man who went to his local bank in Michigan to deposit checks had the police called on him by a branch manager suspecting fraud.

Ironically, the checks, totaling $99,000, that Sauntore Thomas, 44, sought to deposit at TCF Bank in Livonia were part of a court settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.

Now Thomas, an Air Force veteran, has sued his bank's holding company, TCF Financial Corp., alleging racial discrimination.

The suit filed this week in Wayne County Circuit Court says Thomas has had a checking account at the bank since 2018, and he went there on Tuesday asking the branch manager to open a savings account for him so he could deposit the checks.

But the manager became suspicious that the checks were fraudulent and questioned Thomas about where he got them, the suit alleges.

The manager told Thomas that the checks would need to be verified, but that the computer system the bank uses to verify checks was not working. In order to complete Thomas' transaction, the manager said she would need to go in the back and "call in the checks," the suit says.

Instead of trying to verify the checks, the suit claims that the manager refused to deposit them and then went into the back to call Livonia police. Four officers arrived at the bank and questioned Thomas about the checks.

Thomas called his lawyer on the phone to have her verify where he got the checks from but that still did not satisfy the branch manager.

"Defendant still refused to deposit the checks," the suit states. "TCF Bank subsequently filed a police report against Plaintiff for check fraud."

Thomas eventually left the bank and went somewhere else to deposit his checks. The lawsuit claims that Thomas' race "was a factor in Defendant's decision to treat him less favorably than other individuals."

Thomas reiterated that sentiment during an interview with the The Associated Press.

“They did not want to assist me because I was African American. They didn’t want to assist me because they assumed that I had a fraudulent check, which was far from the truth," he told the outlet, adding, "This was no mistake."

A spokesman for TCF did not immediately return NBC News' request for comment. The bank told the Detroit Free Press in a statement that the police should not have been called on Thomas and that it apologizes for what happened.

“We strongly condemn racism and discrimination of any kind,” the bank said. “We take extra precautions involving large deposits and requests for cash, and in this case, we were unable to validate the checks presented by Mr. Thomas and regret we could not meet his needs.”

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress. He is seeking damages.

A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police.

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress.

View attachment 302335

That would be true. Racism does create psychological harm.

Getting paid should help with that. Maybe if you had got paid, you wouldn’t be so busted. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live pretty comfortably on my investments. How about you? But the problem with your ignorance is in your inability to understand the overall psychological damage done to communities of color because of whites who continue practicing racism.

Although there are many who refuse to believe this (or just don't care that racial discrimination is still occuring in year 2020) I have plenty of first hand experience to the contrary.

I just read in the news yesterday that former Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf has been barred from the banking industry for life after it was exposed that Wells Fargo employees were opening additional accounts of their existing customers without their knowledge or consent.

Ironically, the checks that Sauntore Thomas tried to deposit were from a settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.

Sauntore Thomas, right, and his lawyer, Deborah Gordon, left, on Jan. 23, 2020 in Bloomfield Hills,

By Minyvonne Burke

An African American man who went to his local bank in Michigan to deposit checks had the police called on him by a branch manager suspecting fraud.

Ironically, the checks, totaling $99,000, that Sauntore Thomas, 44, sought to deposit at TCF Bank in Livonia were part of a court settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.

Now Thomas, an Air Force veteran, has sued his bank's holding company, TCF Financial Corp., alleging racial discrimination.

The suit filed this week in Wayne County Circuit Court says Thomas has had a checking account at the bank since 2018, and he went there on Tuesday asking the branch manager to open a savings account for him so he could deposit the checks.

But the manager became suspicious that the checks were fraudulent and questioned Thomas about where he got them, the suit alleges.

The manager told Thomas that the checks would need to be verified, but that the computer system the bank uses to verify checks was not working. In order to complete Thomas' transaction, the manager said she would need to go in the back and "call in the checks," the suit says.

Instead of trying to verify the checks, the suit claims that the manager refused to deposit them and then went into the back to call Livonia police. Four officers arrived at the bank and questioned Thomas about the checks.

Thomas called his lawyer on the phone to have her verify where he got the checks from but that still did not satisfy the branch manager.

"Defendant still refused to deposit the checks," the suit states. "TCF Bank subsequently filed a police report against Plaintiff for check fraud."

Thomas eventually left the bank and went somewhere else to deposit his checks. The lawsuit claims that Thomas' race "was a factor in Defendant's decision to treat him less favorably than other individuals."

Thomas reiterated that sentiment during an interview with the The Associated Press.

“They did not want to assist me because I was African American. They didn’t want to assist me because they assumed that I had a fraudulent check, which was far from the truth," he told the outlet, adding, "This was no mistake."

A spokesman for TCF did not immediately return NBC News' request for comment. The bank told the Detroit Free Press in a statement that the police should not have been called on Thomas and that it apologizes for what happened.

“We strongly condemn racism and discrimination of any kind,” the bank said. “We take extra precautions involving large deposits and requests for cash, and in this case, we were unable to validate the checks presented by Mr. Thomas and regret we could not meet his needs.”

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress. He is seeking damages.

Was he a customer of that bank

or just some unknown guy with some big checks?

Inquiring Minds Want To Know.

Moi :26:
Racism is like farting.
The first smeller is the feller. Wise words from Moi

black_mountie-1.jpg

Funny how people say this and we don't see any evidence that it has ever happened.
Which, of course, likely only means you just haven't heard about it, considering that it is almost certainly policy at every single financial institution.

Why aren't you considering that simple idea? Should I call that, "Funny", to use your word?
You can call it funny and I have considered that, but that still doesn't exclude racism in the example posted in the OP.

By Minyvonne Burke

Racism is like farting.

I wonder how many of these questions would be asked if a black teller had done this to someone white?

By Minyvonne Burke

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress.

View attachment 302335

Getting paid should help with that. Maybe if you had got paid, you wouldn’t be so busted. [emoji1787]

I live pretty comfortably on my investments. How about you? But the problem with your ignorance is in your inability to understand the overall psychological damage done to communities of color because of whites who continue practicing racism.

Not talking about finances. I wouldn’t have knowledge or concerns about that. Your psychologist isn’t doing enough for you though.

By Minyvonne Burke

Racism is like farting.

I wonder how many of these questions would be asked if a black teller had done this to someone white?

Their racist. They probably don’t employ any. But if they did, that would probably have to adhere to policy of the bank. No one really knows what actually happened during this situation. They could have deposited the check, and waited for it to clear first? Then they could have opened up another account. As for why exactly police were called??? We may never know. He does have the option of finding another bank.

You can call it funny and I have considered that, but that still doesn't exclude racism in the example posted in the OP.
It absolutely does, if a policy that applies to everyone was followed.
No it doesn't. I know that you would like it to be that way, but it's not.

The story says that the bank was going to verify the checks but that machine was broken. If it had stopped there perhaps race could be eliminated as a factor because it is apparent that the bank check verification policy does not include calling the police because if it did, the employee would have explained that to Thomas. Then there is the matter of the checks. Certainly the Company name was on those checks and the bank manager could have called that company. Then she didn't even accept the lawyers verification. All of these things indicate racial bias on the part of that manager. You just have to experience it to understand why I say this.

By Minyvonne Burke

Racism is like farting.

You can know it is racism after you exclude all possibilities that the police were called because of suspicious behavior or circumstances. Emotionally alleging racism without knowing all the facts doesn't work.

Because you can’t deposit checks into your checking account?

This shows Thomas was a bank customer and in this instance he wanted to set up a savings account.

By Minyvonne Burke

Racism is like farting.

You can know it is racism after you exclude all possibilities that the police were called because of suspicious behavior or circumstances. Emotionally alleging racism without knowing all the facts doesn't work.

I exclude racism based on nearly 59 years of experiencing different ways racism is done.

Certainly the Company name was on those checks and the bank manager could have called that company.
No, that would be stupid. No financial institution would ever do such a thing. Only the issuing financial institution could verify the funds, and most, if not all, institutions will not verify funds, if they are in a client/member account, without the client/member's consent. You are not following.

If policy was followed that applies to everyone, then racism is not a factor.

However, if they completely refused to take the deposit at all, the guy may have a legitimate beef. That would not represent following a policy that applies to everyone.

It absolutely does, if a policy that applies to everyone was followed.
No it doesn't. I know that you would like it to be that way, but it's not.

The story says that the bank was going to verify the checks but that machine was broken. If it had stopped there perhaps race could be eliminated as a factor because it is apparent that the bank check verification policy does not include calling the police because if it did, the employee would have explained that to Thomas. Then there is the matter of the checks. Certainly the Company name was on those checks and the bank manager could have called that company. Then she didn't even accept the lawyers verification. All of these things indicate racial bias on the part of that manager. You just have to experience it to understand why I say this.

A check for 99k. We all read the same story. You have no more knowledge about it than anyone else. He’s black, and you are racist against whites. That’s the point you make in every post.

By Minyvonne Burke

View attachment 302335

I know, his pussy hurts.

Its racism. Unless they have a track record of calling the police on depositors.

I dont see the risk to the bank here. If the issuing bank refused to honour the chq then they are not out of pocket. If its a money laundering issue they could have requested some documentation.

This does not happen to whites.
If they are trying to cash such a large check and then caused a scene, it certainly would happen to a white person.
Funny how people say this and we don't see any evidence that it has ever happened. Too many white people today want to dismiss racism while making claims about anti white racism or white genocide. Neither exist and to your credit, you have not been one to peddle these falsehoods.

When a white person tries to scam a bank, he doesn't whine and get national attention.

Forum List

Back