A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police

Why didn't a grown man with a job already have a savings account?

It happens to whites as well. To such a degree that the banks are protected:
Your bank may deny your items for deposit if they have reason to be suspicious. Suspicious items are covered in Regulation CC 229.13

The man himself may have been acting suspicious to further his discrimination career. Who knows. Regardless, it is legally, the banker's call. And with the amount at stake, I am sure the bank wanted to err on the side of the bank.
Banks are equal opportunity discriminators. They hate us all...
Where in that code does it mention calling the police?

It is one thing to believe someone is engaged in fraudulent behavior, erroneous as your belief may be, and therefore refuse them service. It is an entirely different matter to publically and erroneously accuse them of fraudulent behavior and then call the police on them when they haven't engaged in any criminal behavior. This applies no matter what your race is. In this case however, the thing that the bank employee said she needed to do, which was to verify the validity of the checks, once it was provided, was still not enough, apparently even with the police there.

Absolute proof that it was racial discrimination? Well anything can be argued however unless the bank can provide an example of them having denied a white customer the right to open another deposit account in that or a similar substantial amount, then yeah it looks like racial discrimination in the sense that apparently she could not conceive of any scenario in which this black man could have that much money to deposit. It's not even like he was trying to cash the checks and walk out with it. She could have opened the account and put a long enough hold on the funds until they cleared to ensure that the bank would not be out of any money if there was anything untoward occurring but no, she had to falsely accuse him of a crime, in all likelihood because he's black and call the police on him.

And that's why they're being sued.
Same thing happened to my client and he was white. Check fraud is rampant and banks are being cautious. No one sued anyone in my case and patron thanked the Bank for their caution. Not sure why everything has to come down to race.

Your bank may deny your items for deposit if they have reason to be suspicious. Suspicious items are covered in Regulation CC 229.13

The man himself may have been acting suspicious to further his discrimination career. Who knows. Regardless, it is legally, the banker's call. And with the amount at stake, I am sure the bank wanted to err on the side of the bank.

It happened to me------I am a short, left handed, extremely fair skinned female.
On moving from Jersey to New York City-----I withdrew from my bank account
in New Jersey--------several hundred dollars in order to open an account
in New York. The bank REFUSED------I had to jump thru hoops for several
weeks just to get an account opened-----I asked why and the bank guy told
me-----"we have to avoid fraud" --------me-----an innocent white chick

Although there are many who refuse to believe this (or just don't care that racial discrimination is still occuring in year 2020) I have plenty of first hand experience to the contrary.

I just read in the news yesterday that former Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf has been barred from the banking industry for life after it was exposed that Wells Fargo employees were opening additional accounts of their existing customers without their knowledge or consent.

A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police.

Ironically, the checks that Sauntore Thomas tried to deposit were from a settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.
200124-sauntore-thomas-ew-1016a_a724169e049fac56a43d4d6e25133da8.fit-760w.jpg

Sauntore Thomas, right, and his lawyer, Deborah Gordon, left, on Jan. 23, 2020 in Bloomfield Hills,

Mich.Mike Householder / AP
Jan. 24, 2020, 8:51 AM PST
By Minyvonne Burke

An African American man who went to his local bank in Michigan to deposit checks had the police called on him by a branch manager suspecting fraud.

Ironically, the checks, totaling $99,000, that Sauntore Thomas, 44, sought to deposit at TCF Bank in Livonia were part of a court settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.

Now Thomas, an Air Force veteran, has sued his bank's holding company, TCF Financial Corp., alleging racial discrimination.

The suit filed this week in Wayne County Circuit Court says Thomas has had a checking account at the bank since 2018, and he went there on Tuesday asking the branch manager to open a savings account for him so he could deposit the checks.

But the manager became suspicious that the checks were fraudulent and questioned Thomas about where he got them, the suit alleges.

The manager told Thomas that the checks would need to be verified, but that the computer system the bank uses to verify checks was not working. In order to complete Thomas' transaction, the manager said she would need to go in the back and "call in the checks," the suit says.

Instead of trying to verify the checks, the suit claims that the manager refused to deposit them and then went into the back to call Livonia police. Four officers arrived at the bank and questioned Thomas about the checks.

Thomas called his lawyer on the phone to have her verify where he got the checks from but that still did not satisfy the branch manager.

"Defendant still refused to deposit the checks," the suit states. "TCF Bank subsequently filed a police report against Plaintiff for check fraud."

Thomas eventually left the bank and went somewhere else to deposit his checks. The lawsuit claims that Thomas' race "was a factor in Defendant's decision to treat him less favorably than other individuals."

Thomas reiterated that sentiment during an interview with the The Associated Press.

“They did not want to assist me because I was African American. They didn’t want to assist me because they assumed that I had a fraudulent check, which was far from the truth," he told the outlet, adding, "This was no mistake."

A spokesman for TCF did not immediately return NBC News' request for comment. The bank told the Detroit Free Press in a statement that the police should not have been called on Thomas and that it apologizes for what happened.

“We strongly condemn racism and discrimination of any kind,” the bank said. “We take extra precautions involving large deposits and requests for cash, and in this case, we were unable to validate the checks presented by Mr. Thomas and regret we could not meet his needs.”

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress. He is seeking damages.

A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police.
How stupid. Deposit the check, hold the funds for 7 business days. Then, release the funds. Regardless of what else happens, the branch manager needs to be fired for incompetence.

1. The bank was right to be super careful with such large amounts.

2. The employee would have treated any customer in the same way.

a. The employee would have lost her job if it had turned out that the checks were fraudulent.

3. I hope that the jury finds in the bank's favor.

4. When individuals constantly play the race card, they only make it harder for true victims of racism.

If so he should have had the Lawyer call their bank and allow him to cash those checks...
Ding ding ding

Though no bank is going to give him $99K in cash. But they could have taken in the check and wired the funds to his account, as wires are non-revokable.

but no, she had to falsely accuse him of a crime, in all likelihood because he's black and call the police on him.

How many other black patrons has the bank called the police on? I'll bet none, because this isn't a racial issue. It is a financial institution regulation issue and perhaps an aggression issue on the part of the person who wasn't getting what he wanted. Unless the bank routinely calls the cops on blacks in their bank because they are suspicious of blacks in general, then this incident has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with dollars and behavior.

This does not happen to whites.

but no, she had to falsely accuse him of a crime, in all likelihood because he's black and call the police on him.

How many other black patrons has the bank called the police on? I'll bet none, because this isn't a racial issue. It is a financial institution regulation issue and perhaps an aggression issue on the part of the person who wasn't getting what he wanted. Unless the bank routinely calls the cops on blacks in their bank because they are suspicious of blacks in general, then this incident has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with dollars and behavior.
denial.

If they are trying to cash such a large check and then caused a scene, it certainly would happen to a white person. This is precisely what the staff at my institution is trained to do.

Last edited:
Although there are many who refuse to believe this (or just don't care that racial discrimination is still occuring in year 2020) I have plenty of first hand experience to the contrary.

I just read in the news yesterday that former Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf has been barred from the banking industry for life after it was exposed that Wells Fargo employees were opening additional accounts of their existing customers without their knowledge or consent.

Ironically, the checks that Sauntore Thomas tried to deposit were from a settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.

Sauntore Thomas, right, and his lawyer, Deborah Gordon, left, on Jan. 23, 2020 in Bloomfield Hills,

By Minyvonne Burke

An African American man who went to his local bank in Michigan to deposit checks had the police called on him by a branch manager suspecting fraud.

Ironically, the checks, totaling $99,000, that Sauntore Thomas, 44, sought to deposit at TCF Bank in Livonia were part of a court settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.

Now Thomas, an Air Force veteran, has sued his bank's holding company, TCF Financial Corp., alleging racial discrimination.

The suit filed this week in Wayne County Circuit Court says Thomas has had a checking account at the bank since 2018, and he went there on Tuesday asking the branch manager to open a savings account for him so he could deposit the checks.

But the manager became suspicious that the checks were fraudulent and questioned Thomas about where he got them, the suit alleges.

The manager told Thomas that the checks would need to be verified, but that the computer system the bank uses to verify checks was not working. In order to complete Thomas' transaction, the manager said she would need to go in the back and "call in the checks," the suit says.

Instead of trying to verify the checks, the suit claims that the manager refused to deposit them and then went into the back to call Livonia police. Four officers arrived at the bank and questioned Thomas about the checks.

Thomas called his lawyer on the phone to have her verify where he got the checks from but that still did not satisfy the branch manager.

"Defendant still refused to deposit the checks," the suit states. "TCF Bank subsequently filed a police report against Plaintiff for check fraud."

Thomas eventually left the bank and went somewhere else to deposit his checks. The lawsuit claims that Thomas' race "was a factor in Defendant's decision to treat him less favorably than other individuals."

Thomas reiterated that sentiment during an interview with the The Associated Press.

“They did not want to assist me because I was African American. They didn’t want to assist me because they assumed that I had a fraudulent check, which was far from the truth," he told the outlet, adding, "This was no mistake."

A spokesman for TCF did not immediately return NBC News' request for comment. The bank told the Detroit Free Press in a statement that the police should not have been called on Thomas and that it apologizes for what happened.

“We strongly condemn racism and discrimination of any kind,” the bank said. “We take extra precautions involving large deposits and requests for cash, and in this case, we were unable to validate the checks presented by Mr. Thomas and regret we could not meet his needs.”

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress. He is seeking damages.

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress.

View attachment 302335

That would be true. Racism does create psychological harm.

By Minyvonne Burke

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress.

View attachment 302335

That would be true. Racism does create psychological harm.

Getting paid should help with that. Maybe if you had got paid, you wouldn’t be so busted. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they are trying to cash such a large check and then caused a scene, it certainly would happen to a white person.
Funny how people say this and we don't see any evidence that it has ever happened. Too many white people today want to dismiss racism while making claims about anti white racism or white genocide. Neither exist and to your credit, you have not been one to peddle these falsehoods.

Forum List

Back