A bit difficult

HenryBHough

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Oak Grove, Massachusetts
Please excuse me if I write slowly. It has not been possible to secure a keyboard with my accustomed steep slope and round key caps. My experience with instant communication is limited and I emphatically do not understand all the protocols. Were it not for the recent visit of President and Mrs. Obama I doubt we might have gotten beyond dial-up internet in this small town.

Though I have lived and worked here since marrying a local lady those many years ago I still feel somewhat an outsider in private life and especially here. Visiting friends, we get a lot of those in summer, have goaded me into experimenting with this place and are pressuring me to try Facebook but that feels a bit beyond my tastes just yet.

Thank you for listening to a doddering old fool as he plays with his new toy.

You still working on a Royal?

I prefer Underwoods.

For my writing I still like the little Royal portable that once belonged to my mother. Well, some of it did. I once knocked it off a desk and damaged it badly. In order to get parts I had to buy another similar typewriter which was damaged but less badly and in a different way. I watched a retired repairman wash them both in hot water with dish detergent in it and then he took both apart and used the best of the pieces from both to make one that works really well. That was in about 1963.

Since then I have owned office model Underwoods (the black uprights) and one Olympia. I was never able to write anything on the Olympia that sold. That makes no sense but then so much does not and I gave up on it.

I once had the temporary use of a brown colored Royal with green plastic keys and liked it but had to give it back and never found one that was for sale. That was the only modern typewriter I used that had the plastic key caps that felt comfortable. I guess I'm just stuck on the round caps with the nickel rims and the clear coating so the white-on-black letters under it never wear out.

What I really miss is using the lower-case "l" character for "1". A proper keyboard doesn't have any "1" on it.

Another good thing about the Royal portable is that it can use the purple ribbons that United Press used to hand out free for their tele-printers. I must still have a hundred or more of those still sealed in cellophane. They're pretty juicy, though, so they work best on cheap paper that the ink soaks into and doesn't get all over my hands.

Hi and welcome. It doesn't matter if it takes you 20 minutes to type one sentence. It all reads the same to us. Martha's Vinyard, huh? I hear that's a nice place.

It's "Vineyard", name supposedly from Bartholomew Gosnold whose daughter Martha wandered around and came upon wild grapes which tasted good after a long sea voyage. Myself, I never cared for them. Too sour. But maybe if I had been to see for a long time they mighta tasted better.

The Vineyard is still a nice place but it has become very expensive since being disdovered by actors, rock stars and politicians. Edgartown is too expensive for normal people. Oak Bluffs still gets a lot of religious folks but the little cottages, even to rent, cost The Earth Moon and Stars. Vineyard Haven is as funky as ever. I guess because it still has enough local residents. It could be worse; consider Nantucket.

You still working on a Royal?

I prefer Underwoods.

For my writing I still like the little Royal portable that once belonged to my mother. Well, some of it did. I once knocked it off a desk and damaged it badly. In order to get parts I had to buy another similar typewriter which was damaged but less badly and in a different way. I watched a retired repairman wash them both in hot water with dish detergent in it and then he took both apart and used the best of the pieces from both to make one that works really well. That was in about 1963.

Since then I have owned office model Underwoods (the black uprights) and one Olympia. I was never able to write anything on the Olympia that sold. That makes no sense but then so much does not and I gave up on it.

I once had the temporary use of a brown colored Royal with green plastic keys and liked it but had to give it back and never found one that was for sale. That was the only modern typewriter I used that had the plastic key caps that felt comfortable. I guess I'm just stuck on the round caps with the nickel rims and the clear coating so the white-on-black letters under it never wear out.

What I really miss is using the lower-case "l" character for "1". A proper keyboard doesn't have any "1" on it.

Another good thing about the Royal portable is that it can use the purple ribbons that United Press used to hand out free for their tele-printers. I must still have a hundred or more of those still sealed in cellophane. They're pretty juicy, though, so they work best on cheap paper that the ink soaks into and doesn't get all over my hands.
Well if you like writing, we have Writing USMB, and you can start a thread with your own preferences. That'd be cool.

Forum List

Back