A biblical question.

Jesus said he did not come for the righteous...

He also told a parable about who loves Him more....Paraphrased //// He said He forgave the debt of two men, one owed him a $100 bucks, the other owed Him $100,000,

Who loves me more for my forgiveness? He asked...

the answer was the person who owed him more for His forgiveness....

This friend of yours and your wife's, owes Him more than you...therefore she is more grateful for His forgiveness, just like the prodigal son.....

He also told a parable about who loves Him more....Paraphrased //// He said He forgave the debt of two men, one owed him a $100 bucks, the other owed Him $100,000,

This friend of yours and your wife's, owes Him more than you...therefore she is more grateful for His forgiveness, just like the prodigal son.....
I believe you have that wrong. The man who owed a lot of money was forgiven his debt. Then that same man turned around and had a man who owed him just a little money thrown into debtors prison. What a jerk. Huh?

I believe you have that wrong. The man who owed a lot of money was forgiven his debt. Then that same man turned around and had a man who owed him just a little money thrown into debtors prison. What a jerk. Huh?
yep! but that's another parable!

yep! but that's another parable!
OK. I stand corrected.

(Atheists will be ignored)

What do you think the story of the Prodigal Son means?

There is a reason I’m asking but I don’t want to say just yet.

This is an honest question from one believer to another.

Thanks.
Well, let's look at the story:
Luke 15:11-32 King James Version (KJV)
11 And he said, A certain man had two sons:

12 And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.

13 And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.

14 And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want.

15 And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine.

16 And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him.

17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!

18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,

19 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.

20 And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.

21 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.

22 But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:

23 And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry:

24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.

25 Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard musick and dancing.

26 And he called one of the servants, and asked what these things meant.

27 And he said unto him, Thy brother is come; and thy father hath killed the fatted calf, because he hath received him safe and sound.

28 And he was angry, and would not go in: therefore came his father out, and intreated him.

29 And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:

30 But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf.

31 And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.

32 It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

King James Version (KJV)
Public Domain
What is the definition of prodigal? Dictionary definition:
spending money or resources freely and recklessly; wastefully extravagant.
"prodigal habits die hard" -

The young son was a big spender who didn't give much thought to how hard his father had worked for the inheritance he received. It's a story of greed, lust, selfishness... taking his father for granted, total disregard for his elder brother, lusting after the things of this world, which ultimately led to his poverty and lack, which was what woke him up. That leads to his return to his father with a humble confession of his sins and his guilt and receives his father's forgiveness.

What about the other son? He is obedient, a servant, and becomes angry seeing a lavish party being given by his father for the one who was by his very nature (former) identified as a Prodigal and had given his father so much heartache. Is the older son justified in his anger? Yes. Do we know how he responds to his father's explanation? I believe so. I believe he accepted his father's explanation and rejoiced with him over his brothers decision to repent.

Be careful about listening to preachers on television. They are today's "prodigals." Full of greed, lust, selfishness, lavish spenders, wasteful with money, look at the fruit. They are the very definition of prodigal. Of course such men (and women) will want to turn the attention toward the elder brother instead. Watch for it. They are false teachers who take great liberty with the Word of God. I would not listen to any of them. Read your bible and ask the LORD to reveal to you the scriptures.

Dictionary definition of a prodigal: What is the definition of prodigal? Dictionary definition:
spending money or resources freely and recklessly; wastefully extravagant.
"prodigal habits die hard" -

Let's look at this again. Jesus tells us in this story that the father considered his son to be "dead." His son was dead but when he turned from his wicked lifestyle and repented, he was no longer dead but alive.

Today's prodigals are in the pulpit. According to Jesus, these men (and women) are dead - spiritually they are dead right now, when they die and end up in hell they will be receive eternal death - Pope Francis, Joel Osteen and his wife, Rick Warren, Kenneth Copeland and his wife, Joseph Prince, James Robison and his wife, Benny Hinn, Paula White, TBN (all of them), Daystar TV, CBN TV, Billy Graham, his son, Pat Robertson, all of them as in all of them...... have gone after filthy lucre. They are wasteful, extravagant, spending money freely and recklessly.....false teachers, who have gone after the world and the things of this world, after the love of this world including being accepted by this world's antichrist religious system (in Rome) at the Father's and the elder son's expense. Have nothing to do with these people or their churches / ministries. Buy a KJV holy bible, study it and live it out every day.

Thanks.

A christian believer does not have an avatar like you, discussion closed.

Mathew 7:6
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Thanks.

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Go away then. I don’t need or want you opinion.

Parents who are faithful can expect their children to someday come to themselves, even if its beyond the grave

Life it totally unfair.

mom-likes-you-best.jpg

Thanks.

If the moon is unholy ... what do you imagine was the significance of the moon landings?

I think the reason for confusion not just in the Prodigal Son but many other parts of the bible is that is that we have over simplified the gospel and neglect the fact that we have done so. Take the raptures:

There was an OT rapture at the resurrection

There will be a rapture of grace before the tribulation and we have the evidence of scripture to back it up.

The two prophets of Revelations at a minimum get raptured mid-trib, whether by works or grace is left unstated.

And the wise and foolish virgins most certainly are not raptured through grace but rather by works.

I do not know what covenant the Prodigal son refers to, it may not even be nameable until after the fact. The way I think is that if we had a need to know there would be no confusion.

Forum List

Back