A better model for US rail transit?

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Trakar, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Trakar

Trakar VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    "Rail integrated communities in Tokyo,"
    The Journal of Transport and Land Use,
    vol 5, no. 1 (Spring 2012), pp. 19-32,
    doi: 10.5198/jtlu.v5i1.280.

In reference to Tokyo's private railway lines:
    The report talks about Tokyo's private rail systems that employ what are known as "rail-integrated communities." The concept involves developing communities around each of the major rail stations, walkable, mixed-use central zones with a heavy commercial/retail almost mall-like/urban "vibrancy." This is the type of setting that turns riders into customers. It is an interesting private-rail model that U.S. rail companies might one day adopt as a guide toward producing a profitable private or quasi-public rail-transit system.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,927
    Yeah. Wow. Free enterprise. What a novel, untried idea

3. JFK_USA

JFK_USA Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +725
    We need an improved railway system. The high speed rail system that was passed would be so beneficial to American transit. Chicago to St. Louis in a 2 hour train ride? Absolutely amazing. The problem is conservatives saying we don't need to build yet how did we build the interstate system? Through government involvement. To make travel quicker and more affordable, we need to make investments in necessary infrastructure.

4. CrusaderFrank

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,927
    You can fly round trip from Los Angeles to Las Vegas for $98 on Spirit Air and the trip takes an hour

why do we need a fucking choo choo?

5. CrusaderFrank

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,927
    The transit system in nyc is run by Democrats and unions so they leased prime retail space at Grand Central Station to Apple for less than half, probably 1/3, of what a landlord across the street would have charged, and they're proud of their total fuck up.

The Commuter rail I ride has half the seats facing the wrong way 100% of the time because the union workers are too fucking stupid and lazy to be trusted with making sure the train cars face forward.

The station I board, White Plains is a total fucking disgrace. Nevermind the stairway smells like piss, there is one crappy coffee shop and 1 newspaper stand serving 50,000 commuters daily. None of the a name franchise either, its a license to steal.

There is no WiFi service on the train, you have 4 dead spots between the station and Grand Central.

That's a Democrat government run/Union labor rail system for you.

6. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,107
    The biggest problem with rail travel in the U.S. is the expansiveness of our country. It seems to me that the most successful rail systems are in countries with little land mass. Unless you want to include countries with an impoverished populace...

7. Trakar

Trakar VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    This system is more of a local/regional type of rail system connecting suburban and outlying fringe townships with a larger central metropolis. Presumably systems could be expanded to connect these larger metropolis areas together into regional networks and perhaps eventually we could get these regional networks connected by high-speed runs that would eventually allow cheap transit of both passengers and cargo.

8. skookerasbil

skookerasbil Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,193
    The Disney types have always been romanticized by these rail systems!!!

Like I always say...........these same people factor the "costs" into these discussions like they are some kind of an afterthought!~!!~!:coffee:

9. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,161
    If cost doesn't matter anymore. Why not build a bullet train that can go 600 mph between LA and New york? :eusa_boohoo: Another that goes between LA and SF and another that goes from New york to Chicago?

Or better yet how about 5,000 mph?
    Vactrain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anything less and I'll oppose it as it will suck!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  10. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,161
    Hell, if cost doesn't matter why not build a real Vactrain between LA and New york? faster then the plane by far. Heres the deal I'll support the construction of the Vactrain out of the fact that it is very cool and I love this kind of stuff. I won't support a slow train.

There would be tens of thousands of jobs from building such a mammoth project.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012