A better Approach To Littoral Combat....

Manonthestreet

Diamond Member
May 20, 2014
The solution to the naval littoral problem is merging sea basing with the Navy’s World War II and Cold War fast-attack concepts. Older dock landing ships, such as the USS Whidbey Island (LSD-41) class, have a large well-deck designed for transporting Marine connectors (landing craft air cushioned [LCACs] and landing craft utility [LCUs]). Instead of connectors, why not load dock landing ships with two Skjold-class missile corvettes (currently used by the Norwegian Navy) or similar boats.
Loaded with fuel and missiles for rearming, a corvette carrier could rapidly deploy two stealthy corvettes such as the Skjold with an 800-nautical-mile range, capable of threatening an adversary surface fleet or naval base with a barrage of surface-to-surface missiles. Taking this concept further, the Navy could use existing expeditionary sea base ships (the Lewis B. Puller [ESB-3] class and the Montford Point [T-ESD-1] class) to carry four to five missile corvettes into a theater of its choosing, providing the potential for swarming fast-attack ships—and posing a new problem to adversaries in their home waters. Corvette Carriers: A New Littoral Warfare Strategy
Sounds like something a gamer would come up with but I like it. Stealthier, faster,. smaller less expensive and harder hitting than an LCS.

The solution to the naval littoral problem is merging sea basing with the Navy’s World War II and Cold War fast-attack concepts. Older dock landing ships, such as the USS Whidbey Island (LSD-41) class, have a large well-deck designed for transporting Marine connectors (landing craft air cushioned [LCACs] and landing craft utility [LCUs]). Instead of connectors, why not load dock landing ships with two Skjold-class missile corvettes (currently used by the Norwegian Navy) or similar boats.
Loaded with fuel and missiles for rearming, a corvette carrier could rapidly deploy two stealthy corvettes such as the Skjold with an 800-nautical-mile range, capable of threatening an adversary surface fleet or naval base with a barrage of surface-to-surface missiles. Taking this concept further, the Navy could use existing expeditionary sea base ships (the Lewis B. Puller [ESB-3] class and the Montford Point [T-ESD-1] class) to carry four to five missile corvettes into a theater of its choosing, providing the potential for swarming fast-attack ships—and posing a new problem to adversaries in their home waters. Corvette Carriers: A New Littoral Warfare Strategy
Sounds like something a gamer would come up with but I like it. Stealthier, faster,. smaller less expensive and harder hitting than an LCS.

LCUs and LCACs have flat bottoms for a reason. The ships you mentioned would not function if they had to have a flat bottom. Also, the LSDs are basically defenseless.

LCUs and LCACs have flat bottoms for a reason. The ships you mentioned would not function if they had to have a flat bottom. Also, the LSDs are basically defenseless.
your point......

your point......

Boats without flat bottoms don't work in well decks!

DUH!

DUH!

yeah.....build some...…..ones mentioned are catamarans.....I bet even the flat bottomed ones are secured in position once back aboard if they dont work design one that does......

DUH!

yeah.....build some...…..ones mentioned are catamarans.....I bet even the flat bottomed ones are secured in position once back aboard if they dont work design one that does......

Knock yourself out! Until then, stop being a dumbass!

Claiming something will work when it obviously won't is stupidity at its finest!

DUH!

Claiming something will work when it obviously won't is stupidity at its finest!
Was in a widely read naval pub, author was in the service.....I'm sure they know nothing at all

DUH!

Was in a widely read naval pub, author was in the service.....I'm sure they know nothing at all

If you will note, the author is a jarhead! I'll bet even you know more about littoral combat with ships than he does.

DUH!

If you will note, the author is a jarhead! I'll bet even you know more about littoral combat with ships than he does.
If you will note.….one of most notable Nav sites on net,,,,,,,what a moron......

If you will note.….one of most notable Nav sites on net,,,,,,,what a moron......

The Navy is wrong sometimes.
My brother was the LCS squadron training officer. They are a disaster.

The Navy is wrong sometimes.
My brother was the LCS squadron training officer. They are a disaster.
Yeah no shit

Forum List

Back