A Belt would be less expensive

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by dmp, May 17, 2004.

1. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Geesh...medicating a FIVE year old?? Younger than 5? Holy crap - what kind of waste of space would I be (I know, I know, the BAD kind of waste of space) if I couldn't motivate my 5 year old to sit still?

geesh.

Parenting SUCKS in this country.

2. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Agreed. A belt worked just fine with me!

Now they are talking about adult ADD.... just another way to drug the masses so they don't know what is going on.....

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I agree. Between lazy parents and pharmaceutical companies greed we are torturing a lot of these kids. Yes TORTURE!

4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Its easier to point the finger at the kids -

"Kid, YOU have the problem!"

Instead of saying "Ya know? Maybe Traditional/Christian teachings about disciplining children WERE right after all? Wow! Maybe we, as parents, in our attempt to ensure our kids' happiness-above-all-else, have raised a generation of pussies, who have trouble dealing with authority. Maybe our refusal to instill discipline in them through ways they don't understand has failed."

5. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Many entities throughout history have attempted to control the world by numbers. Are you libs havin kids that will be dependent on the government so they will be libs too? Shame on you!

6. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Dillo, I enjoy a good lib bashing about as much as anybody, but I believe you're a bit harsh here.

Maybe you're too young to remember the parenting book by the criminal quack Dr. Spock. If you're looking for the root of the parenting deficiencies in this country today, you need look no further.

7. KLSuddeth

KLSuddeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    dillo,

first of all, Im not a liberal so dont even go there should you choose to respond.

second, you have showcased your ignorance perfectly as well as stupidity with a blanket statement such as the one Ive quoted above.

Shame on YOU. SHAME on YOU! SHAME!

8. TN_Independent

TN_Independent Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I would submit that there's an all herbal remedy that is not only cheaper, but much more effective. This herbal cure is available almost everywhere, and the child can even be required to procure it.

In Tennnessee, we call it a "switch" - as in 'go out and get me a switch so I can stripe your behind!'

I still get goosebumps when I hear that swishing sound, remembering the fear and respect that my mother instilled with this disciplinary tool. I can tell you that I received many attitude discipline adjustments from this tool, and I was not permanently harmed in any way. In fact, I was helped in many ways by my mother's and father's strong discipline.

9. KLSuddeth

KLSuddeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats very true about the herbal remedy, Tn. Im thrilled that you brought that up. There are also some phenomenal homepathic remedies that work incredibly well. Both alternative therapies do not have the side effects of making the kids zombies, suppressing the appetite and stunting growth.

Another interesting thing....

I was nurse when I went back to school to get my phd in a totally different field lol. I worked in a clinic where I headed up the allergy dept. I was fortunate enough to meet Dr Doris Rapp (do an internet search) and the physician I worked for allowed me to take the time to travel to where her office was and learn her techniques. Its amazing how food sensitivities/allergies (as well as chemical) contribute to a child's learning/behavior.

For instance - out of the HUNDREDS of childen that I tested each one were sensitive (sensitivity is NOT allergy) to the same things:

1. milk caseinate
    2. baker's yeast
    3. brewer's yeast
    4. wheat gluten
    5. corn syrup
    6. Cane sugar
    There are others that ranked high but the above were considered the 'sinful 6'.

milk caseinate is the protein in milk - think not only milk but cheese, ice cream, yogurt....kids have this ALL the time.

baker's yeast - think ANYTHING baked that rises
    Brewer's yeast - think anything brewed.....vinegar is brewed...think pickles, catsup
    wheat gluten - think bread, cakes, etc (sandwiches, hostess snacks)
    corn syrup - this nasty little predator is in EVERYTHING....damn near
    sugar - nuff said.

by doing endpoints(not a blood allergy test - those are only qualitative....the endpoint testing is quantitative and much more accurate becayse of this) on these for desensitization purposes and formulating a rotation diet we had amazing results with kids and behavior/learning. (stats are in her books from her studies as well).

There are so many alternatives available if a person wants to find them. True not everything works....and of those that are successful, not everything works for every child. But damn, a little research could mean so much.

10. TN_Independent

TN_Independent Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting, KL.

While a few of those I already knew about, there were a few that surprised me.

I personally believe that many of the 'causes' of learning problems that are diagnosed today are overdone. It is, I feel, a reflection of our society in general - in that we seem to attempt to find alternative reasons for deviant behavior (road rage is an example that comes to mind). Could it simply be that the individual refuses to conform? We too often dismiss this option when it could very well be the cause after all.

I am a strong disciplinarian - that doesn't mean that I'm a bastard, or that I'm terrifying to my students. Quite the opposite, I'm the class clown. I teach using cartoon and Disney voices, accents, anything that tends to keep 'em awake - I even resort to singing occasionally (and that ain't pretty). It is a very laid back atmosphere. I require, however, their respect, attentiveness, and effort. I give effort, attentiveness, and respect in return. During the current school term, and I've taught 150 students per day for 176 days, I've sent 2 (two) students to the office.

I've personally taught students who were "behavorial" problems who sat in my classroom for an entire year without acting up once. In other classes, they were horrendous. It is my contention that if they can behave for an hour in my class, they can do it anywhere - they simply choose not to do so.

While I'm sure that some students have physiological or psychological reasons for their disruptiveness, I'm convinced that many of them simply do not have the 'incentive' to do so.

Have a great Tuesday.....
    TN