dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
MORE 'HYPER' TODDLERS DOPED
New York Post ^ | 5/17/04 | AP

Posted on 05/17/2004 4:39:20 AM EDT by kattracks

May 17, 2004 -- TRENTON, N.J. - The use of drugs to control attention
deficit and hyperactivity problems in preschool children jumped 49 percent
in the past three years, industry data shows.
The dramatic rise from 2000 to 2003 in the use of attention
deficit-hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, drugs by children under 5
contributed to a 23 percent increase among all children, according to an
annual analysis of drug use by Medco Health Solutions Inc.

Franklin Lakes-based Medco is the nation's largest prescription benefit
manager.

The increased number of prescriptions, as well as some higher costs, has
spending on medicines for attention deficit children eclipsing spending on
drugs for asthma and infections, industry data shows.

Over the same three years, use of antibiotics grew only 4.3 percent, while
use of antidepressants rose 21 percent and use of medicines for autism and
other conduct disorders jumped 71 percent.

The most eye-popping change was a 369 percent increase in spending on ADHD
drugs for children under 5.

That's because of the popularity of newer, long-acting medicines under
patent, compared with twice-a-day Ritalin and generic versions.

Drugs such as Strattera, Adderall and Concerta only require one morning
dose, which helps keep children on an even keel all day and eliminates
having to line up to get an afternoon dose from busy school nurses or
day-care officials.

Estimates of how many American children have ADHD vary, from 3 percent to 10
percent.

AP

Geesh...medicating a FIVE year old?? Younger than 5? Holy crap - what kind of waste of space would I be (I know, I know, the BAD kind of waste of space) if I couldn't motivate my 5 year old to sit still?

geesh.

Parenting SUCKS in this country.

Agreed. A belt worked just fine with me!

Now they are talking about adult ADD.... just another way to drug the masses so they don't know what is going on.....

I agree. Between lazy parents and pharmaceutical companies greed we are torturing a lot of these kids. Yes TORTURE!

Its easier to point the finger at the kids -

"Kid, YOU have the problem!"

Instead of saying "Ya know? Maybe Traditional/Christian teachings about disciplining children WERE right after all? Wow! Maybe we, as parents, in our attempt to ensure our kids' happiness-above-all-else, have raised a generation of pussies, who have trouble dealing with authority. Maybe our refusal to instill discipline in them through ways they don't understand has failed."

Many entities throughout history have attempted to control the world by numbers. Are you libs havin kids that will be dependent on the government so they will be libs too? Shame on you!

Originally posted by dilloduck
Many entities throughout history have attempted to control the world by numbers. Are you libs havin kids that will be dependent on the government so they will be libs too? Shame on you!

Dillo, I enjoy a good lib bashing about as much as anybody, but I believe you're a bit harsh here.

Maybe you're too young to remember the parenting book by the criminal quack Dr. Spock. If you're looking for the root of the parenting deficiencies in this country today, you need look no further.

Originally posted by dilloduck

dillo,

first of all, Im not a liberal so dont even go there should you choose to respond.

second, you have showcased your ignorance perfectly as well as stupidity with a blanket statement such as the one Ive quoted above.

Shame on YOU. SHAME on YOU! SHAME!

I would submit that there's an all herbal remedy that is not only cheaper, but much more effective. This herbal cure is available almost everywhere, and the child can even be required to procure it.

In Tennnessee, we call it a "switch" - as in 'go out and get me a switch so I can stripe your behind!'

I still get goosebumps when I hear that swishing sound, remembering the fear and respect that my mother instilled with this disciplinary tool. I can tell you that I received many attitude discipline adjustments from this tool, and I was not permanently harmed in any way. In fact, I was helped in many ways by my mother's and father's strong discipline.

Thats very true about the herbal remedy, Tn. Im thrilled that you brought that up. There are also some phenomenal homepathic remedies that work incredibly well. Both alternative therapies do not have the side effects of making the kids zombies, suppressing the appetite and stunting growth.

Another interesting thing....

I was nurse when I went back to school to get my phd in a totally different field lol. I worked in a clinic where I headed up the allergy dept. I was fortunate enough to meet Dr Doris Rapp (do an internet search) and the physician I worked for allowed me to take the time to travel to where her office was and learn her techniques. Its amazing how food sensitivities/allergies (as well as chemical) contribute to a child's learning/behavior.

For instance - out of the HUNDREDS of childen that I tested each one were sensitive (sensitivity is NOT allergy) to the same things:

1. milk caseinate
2. baker's yeast
3. brewer's yeast
4. wheat gluten
5. corn syrup
6. Cane sugar
There are others that ranked high but the above were considered the 'sinful 6'.

milk caseinate is the protein in milk - think not only milk but cheese, ice cream, yogurt....kids have this ALL the time.

baker's yeast - think ANYTHING baked that rises
Brewer's yeast - think anything brewed.....vinegar is brewed...think pickles, catsup
wheat gluten - think bread, cakes, etc (sandwiches, hostess snacks)
corn syrup - this nasty little predator is in EVERYTHING....damn near
sugar - nuff said.

by doing endpoints(not a blood allergy test - those are only qualitative....the endpoint testing is quantitative and much more accurate becayse of this) on these for desensitization purposes and formulating a rotation diet we had amazing results with kids and behavior/learning. (stats are in her books from her studies as well).

There are so many alternatives available if a person wants to find them. True not everything works....and of those that are successful, not everything works for every child. But damn, a little research could mean so much.

Originally posted by KLSuddeth
Thats very true about the herbal remedy, Tn. Im thrilled that you brought that up. There are also some phenomenal homepathic remedies that work incredibly well. Both alternative therapies do not have the side effects of making the kids zombies, suppressing the appetite and stunting growth.

Another interesting thing....

I was nurse when I went back to school to get my phd in a totally different field lol. I worked in a clinic where I headed up the allergy dept. I was fortunate enough to meet Dr Doris Rapp (do an internet search) and the physician I worked for allowed me to take the time to travel to where her office was and learn her techniques. Its amazing how food sensitivities/allergies (as well as chemical) contribute to a child's learning/behavior.

For instance - out of the HUNDREDS of childen that I tested each one were sensitive (sensitivity is NOT allergy) to the same things:

1. milk caseinate
2. baker's yeast
3. brewer's yeast
4. wheat gluten
5. corn syrup
6. Cane sugar
There are others that ranked high but the above were considered the 'sinful 6'.

milk caseinate is the protein in milk - think not only milk but cheese, ice cream, yogurt....kids have this ALL the time.

baker's yeast - think ANYTHING baked that rises
Brewer's yeast - think anything brewed.....vinegar is brewed...think pickles, catsup
wheat gluten - think bread, cakes, etc (sandwiches, hostess snacks)
corn syrup - this nasty little predator is in EVERYTHING....damn near
sugar - nuff said.

by doing endpoints(not a blood allergy test - those are only qualitative....the endpoint testing is quantitative and much more accurate becayse of this) on these for desensitization purposes and formulating a rotation diet we had amazing results with kids and behavior/learning. (stats are in her books from her studies as well).

There are so many alternatives available if a person wants to find them. True not everything works....and of those that are successful, not everything works for every child. But damn, a little research could mean so much.
Interesting, KL.

While a few of those I already knew about, there were a few that surprised me.

I personally believe that many of the 'causes' of learning problems that are diagnosed today are overdone. It is, I feel, a reflection of our society in general - in that we seem to attempt to find alternative reasons for deviant behavior (road rage is an example that comes to mind). Could it simply be that the individual refuses to conform? We too often dismiss this option when it could very well be the cause after all.

I am a strong disciplinarian - that doesn't mean that I'm a bastard, or that I'm terrifying to my students. Quite the opposite, I'm the class clown. I teach using cartoon and Disney voices, accents, anything that tends to keep 'em awake - I even resort to singing occasionally (and that ain't pretty). It is a very laid back atmosphere. I require, however, their respect, attentiveness, and effort. I give effort, attentiveness, and respect in return. During the current school term, and I've taught 150 students per day for 176 days, I've sent 2 (two) students to the office.

I've personally taught students who were "behavorial" problems who sat in my classroom for an entire year without acting up once. In other classes, they were horrendous. It is my contention that if they can behave for an hour in my class, they can do it anywhere - they simply choose not to do so.

While I'm sure that some students have physiological or psychological reasons for their disruptiveness, I'm convinced that many of them simply do not have the 'incentive' to do so.

Have a great Tuesday.....
TN

You often hear that the Bible says "spare the rod, spoil the child". My mom is fond of reminding me that it actually is much more adamant than that.

<i><b>Proverbs 13:24 </i>He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.</b>

Pretty convincing, if you believe. Hateth is a strong admonition, to say the least.

My mom always used to say that many parents who did not use corporal punishment would tell you: "I just can't stand to whip them." She always said that for her, the most important word in that statement was <b>I</b>. They cared more for themselves than for the child.

You make a good point Tn. My father was a cruel, abusive man. I respected him out of complete and utter fear. Ive alwways feared that whatever was in him might be in me - which is why I just cant deal with spanking my children. I dont want to humiliate and hurt them to get them to behave.

Not that Im saying that spanking is humiliation.....I know my views on this are skewed.

Doctor Spock really screwed the pooch.
The switch is a WMD for a five year old caught playing with matches. But to instill genuine fear without abuse, you need a wooden mixing spoon.......:p:

I hate medicating the kids. I have friends who truly love thier kids and would cheerfully dive on a grenade for them. But they medicate the kid because they cant believe it could possibly be the kid taking advantage of a weaker personality. Kids and Puppies both naturally gravitate towards the dominant personality.

You make a good point Tn. My father was a cruel, abusive man. I respected him out of complete and utter fear. Ive alwways feared that whatever was in him might be in me - which is why I just cant deal with spanking my children. I dont want to humiliate and hurt them to get them to behave.

Not that Im saying that spanking is humiliation.....I know my views on this are skewed.
KL,

Spanking should NEVER be abusive. In fact, any form of discipline that is abusive to children is wrong. A little goes a long way in many cases.

I spank my son. I don't enjoy doing it, but I do it nonetheless. I do follow a set of guidelines before doing it, though: (1) I sit with him and discuss the unacceptable behavior, to make sure that we both completely understand what happened; (2) I explain to him that I love him, regardless of his actions, and that I'm only trying to teach him that there are consequences for unacceptable actions; (3) I spank him - not in all instances, but when appropriate - and then we both feel terrible for a while.

He had a habit earlier this year of 'forgetting' his homework assignments. I informed him that the next time it happened, I was going to send him for a switch. Well, he came home one day and informed me that he'd forgotten his math homework. We sat down, discussed it, and I administered a spanking. The next evening, he burst through the door laughing - he'd had a math test the day before and had not had math homework that evening - the spanking had been unwarranted. He told me, though, that it had been totally his fault and that I should not feel at all bad about what had happened. Damn, I've got a pretty good son, you know?

Originally posted by pegwinn
Doctor Spock really screwed the pooch.
The switch is a WMD for a five year old caught playing with matches. But to instill genuine fear without abuse, you need a wooden mixing spoon.......:p:

I hate medicating the kids. I have friends who truly love thier kids and would cheerfully dive on a grenade for them. But they medicate the kid because they cant believe it could possibly be the kid taking advantage of a weaker personality. Kids and Puppies both naturally gravitate towards the dominant personality.
I watched several years ago a news documentary where psychologists went into homes where parents spanked kids. They watched the households for several weeks, and some of it was videotaped. They then showed the video back to the parents and offered alternative discipline techniques.

While I agree that there are alternatives to spankings, and that spankings are not always appropriate, some of their recommendations were ridiculous.

One incident in particular sticks in my mind. A parent sent a child to their room. He later went to talk to the toddler, and upon his entering the room she threw a shoe at him. He immediately spanked her. The psychologist recommended that instead of spanking her for throwing the shoe, he should have thanked her for not throwing the other one! Unbelievable......

Originally posted by TN_Independent
KL,

Spanking should NEVER be abusive. In fact, any form of discipline that is abusive to children is wrong. A little goes a long way in many cases.

I spank my son. I don't enjoy doing it, but I do it nonetheless. I do follow a set of guidelines before doing it, though: (1) I sit with him and discuss the unacceptable behavior, to make sure that we both completely understand what happened; (2) I explain to him that I love him, regardless of his actions, and that I'm only trying to teach him that there are consequences for unacceptable actions; (3) I spank him - not in all instances, but when appropriate - and then we both feel terrible for a while.

He had a habit earlier this year of 'forgetting' his homework assignments. I informed him that the next time it happened, I was going to send him for a switch. Well, he came home one day and informed me that he'd forgotten his math homework. We sat down, discussed it, and I administered a spanking. The next evening, he burst through the door laughing - he'd had a math test the day before and had not had math homework that evening - the spanking had been unwarranted. He told me, though, that it had been totally his fault and that I should not feel at all bad about what had happened. Damn, I've got a pretty good son, you know?

Too Right! The only difference is that we have the conversation after the punishment is meted out. I got this from my dad. He'd immediatly correct the issue with the switch / spoon. Believe me there was never a doubt in my mind as to why I was getting whacked. Then after a time in the room for the stinging to clear we would discuss *in depth* why I'd gotten spanked. I think that works better than the drawn out discussion and spanking to follow. Amazing that the older I get the smarter my old man gets.

And yeah, it sounds like you got a pretty good son :clap:

Originally posted by pegwinn
Too Right! The only difference is that we have the conversation after the punishment is meted out. I got this from my dad. He'd immediatly correct the issue with the switch / spoon. Believe me there was never a doubt in my mind as to why I was getting whacked. Then after a time in the room for the stinging to clear we would discuss *in depth* why I'd gotten spanked. I think that works better than the drawn out discussion and spanking to follow. Amazing that the older I get the smarter my old man gets.

And yeah, it sounds like you got a pretty good son :clap:

Pegwinn,

Strange to say, but the reason we have the discussion first is that I attempt to make sure that the problem is not a misunderstanding and that the spanking is warranted. Obviously, as evidenced by the post above, it is not a foolproof system! :) I also want to reinforce to him, beforehand, that what I'm doing is not because I don't love him.

You may be right. It might be better afterwards, but so far this system has worked well for us.

You are exactly correct about our parents, though. Their IQ grows with every passing day - at least in my eyes. I'm reminded of the saying: "What you are when you're old is what you learn when you're young!" I have <i>become</i> my father! :D

Originally posted by TN_Independent
Pegwinn,

(snip)
You may be right. It might be better afterwards, but so far this system has worked well for us.

You are exactly correct about our parents, though. Their IQ grows with every passing day - at least in my eyes. I'm reminded of the saying: "What you are when you're old is what you learn when you're young!" I have <i>become</i> my father! :D

Whatever works best for you is best for you. My kids are well beyond spanking age now. My dad is still the smartest guy in three states. I am also my dad, to include the hairline

KIDS RESPECT AUTHORITY WHEN IT'S BACKED BY CONSEQUENCES.

Kids will see right through hollow threats. And one of the problems with todays kids is they've been taught quite literaly since they started school, "THAT NO ONE CAN HURT THEM". "NOT EVEN MOMMY AND DADDY, OR THEY'LL GO TO JAIL". They think they can do as they wish, and not have to pay any consequences that will "hurt" them. And to most, they can deal with that. I mean, what the hell is a "time out". If my parents had been push overs, I don't believe I'd have respected them as much as I do. Secondly, I'd have turned out to be an inconsiderate asshole.

Here's my experiece with children.....

I have a class A commercial drivers license, and the first driving job I had was driving school bus before and after my other job. I'd gotten all kinds of advice on how to handle the problem kids on the bus from other drivers that had driven for years, and we could also write a kid up and he/she would have to see the principle.
However, I had been driving the bus for about three weeks, and had made a couple feeble attempts at controling the kids. I could quite them down for a minute, but then it was right back to pandemonium. I was about at my wits end and ready to quit, but then I got an idea. I watched to see who was the biggest disruption on the bus, and it was this blonde haired kid about 12 years old who was up and down, changing seats, picking on other kids, a real keg of powder. I had scoped out earlier a spot in the road, country roads, where there was zero traffic and a place to pull over. The next day when I reached that spot, I SLAMMED ON THE BRAKES AND PULLED THE BUS OVER, I opened the door and started walking to the rear of the bus. Now keep in mind, I'm six foot one and a hundred and ninety five pounds. Long hair, beard, with one fucking PISSED OFF look on my face. YOU COULD HAVE HEARD A PIN DROP. I made my way down the bus until I got to Joey and said, "you got a problem"? he said "no". I said "I think you do". "I don't think you can follow the rules". I said "I've been watching you, and your causing more of a problem on this bus than everyone else put together". "Now I want you to get up in the front seat, and your going to ride there for a week". He said "I don't have to sit up there if I don't want to". So I bent down a little closer to him and said "you've two choices, either get your little ass up there in that fucking seat, or I'm going to throw you off the fucking bus right here in the middle of nowhere". He looked around kind of sheepishly, like he was looking for support from someone, and he figured he'd call my hand. He finaly cautiously said "you can't do that". So I bent down a little bit closer to him again and said "you see anybody here big enough to stop me"? His little face was turning red by now, and he was slumped down away from me in his seat. He thought for quick minute and then answered a timid "no". So I said "then get your ass up in that front seat... NOW". He got out of his seat and went to the front and sat down.
As I pulled away and started down the road, the kids started talking again, but very quitely. As the kids were getting off, they'd say "bye Tom". Almost ALL of them. After that I had gained their respect. They knew if they fucked with this bus driver, there'd be hell to pay. I had one of the best bus's ever. I actually enjoyed that job. I liked most of the kids and they liked me. Even little Joey who I'd had the run in with. He would often sit in front just so he could talk to me. I laughed and joked with him and found him only in need of some attention. A pretty good kid actually. I also found out that he was from a broken home and lived with his mother. His Dad was nowhere to be found. I felt bad for the kid.
At any rate, I didn't hear one word back from the office about my language used that day, because you're not supposed to swear at the kids.
I had taken the bus route known for having the worst kids in the district, and turned it into one of the best. At least for me. I'd heard through the grape vine later that subsequent drivers of my old route were unable to control the kids, and it changed drivers often. No one wanted that route. Funny. Had I ever returned, that would be the one I'd want.

My point is this, kids respect authority. But that authority has to be backed up. It can't be hollow. "Time outs" are about as worthless as a toilet you can't flush. Children need parents. BOTH OF THEM. And parents need to dicipline sternly, without others sticking their nose into it.

Contrary to Hitlery clinton's conception, it DOESN'T take a VILLAGE. It takes a MOM AND DAD.

dillo,

first of all, Im not a liberal so dont even go there should you choose to respond.

second, you have showcased your ignorance perfectly as well as stupidity with a blanket statement such as the one Ive quoted above.

Shame on YOU. SHAME on YOU! SHAME!

Easy now! I 'm sorry you couldn't appreciate the sarcasm. I will try to be more clear with my tongue in cheek comments. My stupidity and ignorance? I hit a sore spot huh? sorry

Forum List

Back