A Baseball Tale-Reling the 2004 World Series Win

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
My husband and i were on a cruise, to Bermuda that left from Boston. It started out rough, got delayed for a day, because the week previous, they got caught in a bad storm and their windows were smashed by a rogue wave and they needed to repair them before our cruise....that was scary enough....i almost wanted to cancel the trip....

but we decided to go regardless of the rough seas out there and so did over a thousand other Bostonian or locals....there were only 3 people on the cruise that we met that were Cardinal fans....

anyway, once the cruise left, we all found out, they weren't going to show the world series games....only the Lord knows why....?

Well the passengers were pretty pissed at this news, but we were all reassured we would be in Georgetown, Bermuda by game 4 and would be able to view it on land, at one of their many bars....

there was still pissing and moaning, (after all, this was mostly a born and bread, Boston crowd on the cruise) and one dude had a radio that was getting game 3 i believe, so we hung out in one of the lounges listening to that, with lord knows, a hundred or more others....

so, to make a longer story short....when we got to bermuda, we could not dock in georgetown as promised because of very rough seas there getting in to the passage bringing us in to the dockyard....so the cruise told passengers we were not going to be able to dock, but we were going to have to stay on the ship...AND WE WERE NOT GOING TO BE ABLE to VIEW game 4...

WELL TALK ABOUT MAYHEM AND NEAR MUTINY, and making the captain walk the PLANK was next!!! :eek:

The passengers were SOOOOOOOOOO IRATE, asking for their full money back for this BULL CRAP!

Then that afternoon, we got an announcement that we were going to try to go to some obscure dock on the other side of the island used primarily for freight ships, to see if we could dock there. and find some obscure bar that would be showing the game.

WE managed to dock there, find a small bar that had an OUT DOOR screen and satellite and overwhelmed him with the hundreds of passengers....he got locals to loan him their kitchen chairs for us to sit on and even bought any of the local's stock of personal beer from them, to sell it to us....unbelievable hospitality, and this guy sold more beer that night than the whole entire year, he told us....and we were all joyous to bring him this posterity!

it was a fairly clear night and there was a FULL ECLIPSE of the Moon that night, as well as game 4, so it made it super special...a win was in the air, we all could just feel it down to our red socks! :)

Damon hit the 4th pitch of the game, over the fence....that was what set the crowd roaring for the rest of the game! IT WAS THE MOST AWESOME EXPERIENCE, being with all of these Boston red sox fans, while breaking the curse of the bambino...

An elder cruiser that we were drinking with, began to cry, and say he never thought he would see this day, before he died....

I will remember this GOOD DAY for the rest of my life...like the bad day of 9/11, it will be with me forever!

care

That is a great story Care!

See, this is another reason I love sports, the sense of community and camaraderie it gives us.

Thanks for sharing that!

Forum List

Back