A Bank Too Far?

What is the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank and what are its goals?

The AIIB is a regional international financial institution originally proposed by the Chinese government in 2013 and launched in October 2014. The objective of the bank is to finance road, rail, port, and other infrastructure construction projects. More than twenty countries joined the AIIB at the start, but leading G7 economies, as well as South Korea and Australia, initially declined to join. Over the past several months, more countries have signed on, and with the decision of the UK and three eurozone economies to join, there are now about thirty members. The bank was established with $50 billion in capital, making it roughly one-third the size of the Asian Development Bank (ADB), but that capital is expected to grow to $100 billion as more countries join. The AIIB expects to make its first loan late this year.

The Chinese-led AIIB hopes to do infrastructure better, while also pledging to work closely with other institutions. Still, there is little doubt that the initiative also exposes Chinese frustration with global institutions, the failure of these institutions to reform to provide a greater voice to emerging powers, and the United States’s inability to pass International Monetary Fund (IMF) quota reform. From this perspective, the AIIB—along with its companion BRICS bank [comprising Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa]—is a challenge to the existing global economic order and a clear statement of intent from China that it desires to play a leading role in defining new rules of the game for investment in Asia.

Why is the decision by four G7 economies to join the bank significant?

In the fall of 2014, the U.S. government caught many by surprise when it made an aggressive and public effort to persuade countries not to join the Beijing-led institution. The United States clearly had concerns about the economic and political implications of a new multilateral lending agency led by China, and in any event, it was highly unlikely that the U.S. Congress would approve a financial contribution allowing the United States to participate. The Obama administration’s efforts led a number of countries to hold back from signing on the the AIIB. The decision by the UK, and subsequently, France, Germany, and Italy, to participate is therefore significant not only because they will be major shareholders, but also because the decision by traditional U.S. allies signals that Washington is increasingly isolated.

http://www.cfr.org/global-governance/bank-too-far/p36290

Should the US join?

Sounds like another opportunity to waste billions, why should we pass up on that?

Because the war drums are better. Nay? Or maybe those billions go to the "right people".

Because the war drums are better. Nay? Or maybe those billions go to the "right people".

What war drums and who are you quoting when you quoted "right people?"
Kaz, do you have anything to say or are you just going to be a stupid dick?

Straight forward questions. How does it prevent war and who were you quoting when you used quotes?

Straight forward questions. How does it prevent war and who were you quoting when you used quotes?

War drums example: USAID-Ukraine-IMF plan.

Castigate a country, send in USAID and/or human rights groups that are now advancing the US objectives instead of actual human rights, regime change, IMF

The Republicans couldn't manage to address simple changes to the IMF. Instead the US will do the same thing over and over again. It's all about spreading or forcing the free market down people's throat under the guise of Democracy.

Our foreign policy hasn't really changed in over a 100 years. The addition was the IMF and the World Bank. The US does have more control over the IMF. Which has been kicking out papers left and right like.......austerity doesn't work, unions are a good thing because the free market is beautiful on paper but doesn't work. It's ok. Just millions of lives at stake, deep poverty, destabilization...........you get the picture.

The beneficiaries are whomever is most receptive to our national interests. Infrastructure is pretty simple. Rational for not joining?

Castigate a country, send in USAID and/or human rights groups that are now advancing the US objectives instead of actual human rights, regime change, IMF

The Republicans couldn't manage to address simple changes to the IMF. Instead the US will do the same thing over and over again. It's all about spreading or forcing the free market down people's throat under the guise of Democracy.

Our foreign policy hasn't really changed in over a 100 years. The addition was the IMF and the World Bank. The US does have more control over the IMF. Which has been kicking out papers left and right like.......austerity doesn't work, unions are a good thing because the free market is beautiful on paper but doesn't work. It's ok. Just millions of lives at stake, deep poverty, destabilization...........you get the picture.

The beneficiaries are whomever is most receptive to our national interests. Infrastructure is pretty simple. Rational for not joining?

That's just a bunch of rhetoric

The Chinese are investing in infrastructure in foreign countries with or without the AIIB ... Especially when it serves their interests.
If the new bank allows the Chinese to play a better shell game with the money in regards to their Asian ambitions ... Then who are we to disagree?

The bank is there with or without the US, and if we have to borrow money to join the bank because we cannot control our own spending, then our investment might not necessarily be the same as France, Germany or Italy. Looks more like a move against the Dollar and the Euro has attempted to replace the Dollar before. They will probably see better success if the Chinese who artificially devalue their currency are driving the bus.

Not much we can say about it anyway ... The Chinese hold a good portion of our debt.

No. That's you living in denial. By all means return to your threads of why your a special snowflake in libertopia.

It's a brilliant tactical stroke. An attempt to break the hegemony of the dollar and serve as a portal to what will soon be the largest market on Earth.

No. That's you living in denial. By all means return to your threads of why your a special snowflake in libertopia.

Yes, I'm a retard, thinking I can make my own choices over my life and and thinking you should do the same over yours. The latter being the part that scares the shit out of you.

All you're arguing is that if we throw a bunch of money at people that will eliminate conflict, it's just shallow rhetoric

Yes, I'm a retard, thinking I can make my own choices over my life and and thinking you should do the same over yours. The latter being the part that scares the shit out of you.

All you're arguing is that if we throw a bunch of money at people that will eliminate conflict, it's just shallow rhetoric

No, you're just a retard.

No. That isn't what I am arguing.

Our foreign policy hasn't really changed in over a 100 years.
actually not in 200 years since Jefferson fired the shot heard around the world. The American idea is banish liberalism so the whole planet can be free and peaceful rather than dominated by Nazi liberal countries each with a powerful central govt that has a new and better idea than freedom.

Do you understand now?

Our foreign policy hasn't really changed in over a 100 years.
actually not in 200 years since Jefferson fired the shot heard around the world. The American idea is banish liberalism so the whole planet can be free and peaceful rather than dominated by Nazi liberal countries each with a powerful central govt that has a new and better idea than freedom.

Do you understand now?

Edward........please don't make me have to pull your head out of your ass for you. I have a low tolerance for bullshit. You have already exceeded that amount.

Do you understand now?

Edward........please don't make me have to pull your head out of your ass for you. I have a low tolerance for bullshit. You have already exceeded that amount.
actually our foreign policy has not changed in 200 years since Jefferson fired the shot heard around the world. The American idea is to banish liberalism so the whole planet can have freedom, capitalism, peace, and homogeneity rather than be dominated by Nazi liberal countries each with a powerful central govt that has a wonderful, new, and better idea than freedom.

Do you understand now?

Last edited:
As I understand it, the Dollar will lose its place as reserve currency, at least among those nations who use that bank.

As I understand it, the Dollar will lose its place as reserve currency, at least among those nations who use that bank.

I suppose thats true but who cares? The secret to economic success to have the best products in the world and/or the lowest prices in the world.

Do you understand now?

actually our foreign policy has not changed in 200 years since Jefferson fired the shot heard around the world. The American idea is to banish liberalism so the whole planet can have freedom, capitalism, peace, and homogeneity rather than be dominated by Nazi liberal countries each with a powerful central govt that has a wonderful, new, and better idea than freedom.

Do you understand now?

You're a fucking retard too.
Libertopians are POS.

New Topics

Forum List

Back