A bad cook made a great clam chowder

Si modo

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fairfax, Virginia
I am notoriously a bad cook - just ask my fiance - but sometimes I can get it right.

It's getting to be soup weather around here...brrrrr...so, I tried to make a clam chowder Monday night (and the leftovers are even better).

And, it worked! I love the internet for stuff like this.

Here's what I used:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSRIb9L74sg]New England Clam Chowder : Old Salt Restaurant (Hampton, NH) - YouTube[/ame]

I had no idea that bacon was a part of the recipe.

i use salt pork instead of bacon.

nice work, si

i'll bring my spoon :)
:D Thanks. I had no idea it was so easy.

And, honestly, the leftovers taste even better. (I wonder why that is sometimes?) I just finished eating too much of it and I hurt. Probably the last night for leftovers, too...seafood and all.

Oh, and I used frozen clam meat instead of cans. I thought that was a good choice. Plus, I had no idea that they sell a thing called "clam juice". I thought I would have to go to a specialty store to get that and almost gave up before I even started. Just makes me laugh how many times I've been in a simple grocery store and never noticed that.

:(

nice work, si

And, honestly, the leftovers taste even better. (I wonder why that is sometimes?) I just finished eating too much of it and I hurt. Probably the last night for leftovers, too...seafood and all.

Oh, and I used frozen clam meat instead of cans. I thought that was a good choice. Plus, I had no idea that they sell a thing called "clam juice". I thought I would have to go to a specialty store to get that and almost gave up before I even started. Just makes me laugh how many times I've been in a simple grocery store and never noticed that.

frozen clams definitely taste better than the canned.

when i was a kid, we'd go clamming and make chowder that night.

it always tastes better the second or third day.

good for you trying out something new

nice work, si

They are a little chewy

They are a little chewy
They really weren't. The video told me that if I put them in at the last minute, they stay tender and don't get chewy.

And, that worked, too!

I really am amazed at myself. :lol: It probably is an easy recipe, but I never knew that.

Forum List

Back