A B C news breaking in from egypt

Most of the "cash" is for the military and the rest for the elite in power.
No cash gets to the citizens.
They hate MUBARAK first and foremost. The rest does not matter.
I agree with the rest of your post.

There's more to the story than just the Egyptian people vs. the government. The riots are being influenced by out side sources.

Of course they are but what do we do to stop that?
Does our presence there help that?
130K troops in Egypt to attempt to stop that?
This all boils down to the incredibly stupid idea to invade Iraq. Hussein kept the Muslim Brotherhood and all the religous kooks in check in the entire middle east. They hated him.
It will take 30 years to fix that large mistake.

We should not allow a hostile group to take control of the country. I at one time recently thought this was a freedom issue, but after further research I think we are looking at another Iranian type government.

Now for the steps to take to keep this from happening is give some support not military support but some support to Murbarack.

This all boils down to the incredibly stupid idea to invade Iraq. Hussein kept the Muslim Brotherhood and all the religous kooks in check in the entire middle east. They hated him.

Eh, Egypt has always been an Ikhwan stronghold and center of activity since that's where the movement was founded. Saddam Hussein tortured and killed his fair share of Islamists but he certainly didn't stop them from operating in other countries.

We should not allow a hostile group to take control of the country. I at one time recently thought this was a freedom issue, but after further research I think we are looking at another Iranian type government.

Now for the steps to take to keep this from happening is give some support not military support but some support to Murbarack.

There is another possible scenario, and that is what happened in Poland. The Solidarity (Polish Trade Union) was ultimately successful in replacing the authoritarian Communist regime via the electoral process. It's possible that a personality like the Polish "Lech Wałęsa" will emerge from among the ranks of the protest movement to assume leadership of the protesters and who will then be selected to be the President of Egypt.

There's more to the story than just the Egyptian people vs. the government. The riots are being influenced by out side sources.

How did Saddam Hussein keep the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt in check?

Mubarak-Dictator
Hussein-Dictator
Concerning religous influenced organizations such as Muslim Brotherhood they practiced the same policies. Not as bad in Egupt and I do not support that. I despised Hussein but his military influenced the entire region.

Eh, Egypt has always been an Ikhwan stronghold and center of activity since that's where the movement was founded. Saddam Hussein tortured and killed his fair share of Islamists but he certainly didn't stop them from operating in other countries.

Exactly.
I agree but they feared him and now they want what we gave the Iraqis.
Bush had the RIGHT motive but went about it the wrong way.
Now the rest of the region wants free elections and health care like we gave the Iraqis.
Who assasinated Sadat? And who has tried to assasinate Mubarak?
Who cracked down on that "stronghold"?

There is another possible scenario, and that is what happened in Poland. The Solidarity (Polish Trade Union) was ultimately successful in replacing the authoritarian Communist regime via the electoral process. It's possible that a personality like the Polish "Lech Wałęsa" will emerge from among the ranks of the protest movement to assume leadership of the protesters and who will then be selected to be the President of Egypt.

You are comparing a religous based culture a economical based country. What happen in Poland would not work in Egypt.

You are comparing a religous based culture a economical based country. What happen in Poland would not work in Egypt.

Islam is the state religion of Egypt. Most citizens, approximately 90 percent, are Sunni Muslims.

"Currently most Poles, by far, adhere to the Christian faith, with approximately 88% belonging to the Roman Catholic Church and 58% practicing, according to survey by the Centre for Public Opinion Research See: Roman Catholicism in Poland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So in comparing the two countries (Poland and Eqypt) both countries are more similar to each other in terms of having a dominant religion than either are to the United States or to Europe, which are now secular societies, with secular governments.

Islam is the state religion of Egypt. Most citizens, approximately 90 percent, are Sunni Muslims.

"Currently most Poles, by far, adhere to the Christian faith, with approximately 88% belonging to the Roman Catholic Church and 58% practicing, according to survey by the Centre for Public Opinion Research See: Roman Catholicism in Poland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So in comparing the two countries (Poland and Eqypt) both countries are more similar to each other in terms of having a dominant religion than either are to the United States or to Europe, which are now secular societies, with secular governments.

I will have to disagree what worked in Poland will not work in Egypt.

Last edited:
LOL What does Egypt have in common with Poland? they have nothing in common the culture and way of thinking of the people is completely different, people that say these things are reaching.

Probably the best example for Egypt to follow would be Turkey...

Totally different culture, language and way of thinking. Thats like asking the citizens of Detroit to follow the example of the Japanese people.

Turkey was originally an islamic sultanate.....but it reorganized and became politically secular....Egypt being a mixed religious country should also establish the secular model....

Probably the best example for Egypt to follow would be Turkey...

Totally different culture, language and way of thinking. Thats like asking the citizens of Detroit to follow the example of the Japanese people.

Turkey was originally an islamic sultanate.....but it reorganized and became politically secular....Egypt being a mixed religious country should also establish the secular model....

How can the Egyptians be convinced the follow the footsteps of the Turks?

the army...?

Other than the Brotherhood....do you really think Egyptians wish to follow in the footsteps of Iran....?

the army...?

Other than the Brotherhood....do you really think Egyptians wish to follow in the footsteps of Iran....?

I'm not saying they want to follow in the footsteps of anyone.

The business of World media is a daily business.
Due to the demonstrations in Egypt, world media attention lies on Egypt.
Mubarak wants the focus gone, so his regime can return to 'business as usual'.

The demonstrators are right to demand Mubarrak's immediate stepping down from his position. They've risked a lot, and if they stop their protests now and accept Mubarrak's solution that Mubarak will continue to lead the country until September, then the regime might use the time to crack-down on the demonstrators and secure the survival of the regime.

Police, Intelligence organizations will do a 'what has gone wrong'-commission and will ensure, that it won't happen again.

Exactly!!! Who the hell cares about Israel anyways? Let them fight their own fights, not like they haven't provoked Muslims worldwide by building on dsiputed territory.

Why don't we let them decide WHO THEY WANT. That is what democracy is all about. They decide. I don't go out and try to change rules from the 2010 elections because the republicans won. I don't go and try to make sure people elect who I want. Sure I campaign, but I don't force people to vote one way or another. Thats what many are talking about.

I support TRUE democracy, that means we work with whoever the Egyptian people want.

So Mubarak should just get on a plane and leave? just like that? that sounds like an awesome plan, Mubarak is in a lose/lose situation, if he just leaves the country will descend into chaos. If he stays people are still pissed because they want him gone.
What if Mubarak is arrested and tossed into jail?

Chaos.
Chaos leading to democracy is a real possibility in Egypt.

But what if the Internet has changed everything in ways we haven't had time to understand yet?

What if Tunisia and Egypt are paving Democracy's way to Saudi Arabia?

From CounterPunch:

"Politically outmaneuvered and militarily checked in Iraq, the United States is now in the midst of rapid withdrawal. Iran is now hugely influential in Baghdad.

"Just two U.S.-owned oil companies – Exxon and Occidental – now lease concessions on Iraq’ gigantic reserves.

"Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia are, so to speak, the crown jewels, when it comes to oil reserves.

"The Empire has effectively lost Iran and Iraq.

"What of Saudi Arabia?

"Already Yemen is shaky. Jordan trembles.

"Suppose, however unlikely, fissures open up in the Kingdom itself?

"I doubt, at such a juncture, that we would hear too much talk from Washington about 'democracy' or orderly transitions.

"The Empire would send in the 101st Airborne, even as Osama bin Laden heads west from the Hindu Kush and the dollar plummets south.

"That would be more than a tremor.

"It would be an earthquake."

I heard on the news tonight that he has $70 billion in accounts all over the world. If he doesn't step down, someone else might make a decision for him.

So Mubarak should just get on a plane and leave? just like that? that sounds like an awesome plan, Mubarak is in a lose/lose situation, if he just leaves the country will descend into chaos. If he stays people are still pissed because they want him gone.
What if Mubarak is arrested and tossed into jail?

Based on what?
Google: Crimes of Mubarak.

For the Muslim Brotherhood opinion:

"A longtime strategist for the Muslim Brotherhood said Thursday that Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and his senior associates must be put on trial and held to account for their 'crimes' against the Egyptian people.

"Mubarak 'is like Dracula,' said Youssef Nada, an Egyptian-born banker who served for decades as the Muslim Brotherhood’s de facto 'foreign minister' and remains an influential adviser. 'He is a ruthless dictator who betrayed his people and killed a lot of people. He must be tried for what he did and held to account.'

"Nada’s comments, made in a telephone interview from his home in a tiny Italian enclave in the Swiss Alps, appear to signal a more aggressive -- and potentially dangerous -- stance by the Islamic group on Egypt’s political crisis.

"Just moments before he spoke to NBC News, the Muslim Brotherhood, which had largely remained quiet during the first few days of demonstrations last week, released a formal statement demanding that Mubarak immediately step down. 'We demand that this regime is overthrown and we demand the formation of a national unity government for all the factions,' it said."

Some of Mubarak's recent crimes have been seen around the world during the last ten days.

Or maybe billionaires answer to a higher law?

Forum List

Back