A 124 Hour Work Week???

Discussion in 'Economy' started by jillian, Apr 14, 2008.

1. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    That's what it would take for a NJ resident making minimum wage to afford the average two-bedroom rental in that State

(More)

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/04/n_j_rental_housing_remains_ver.html

2. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,128
    Since when did people start expecting minimum wage to cover all things? It used to be that minimum wage jobs were stepping stones to bigger and better jobs. They were jobs teenagers took while in high school and living at home or they were jobs filled by college students looking for extra beer money.

When did the shift occur? When did people start expecting minimum wage would buy them a house or rent them a condo?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    maaaybe when they started seeing those solid job opportunities shipped to india and replaced with low end service jobs...

not to be contentious but these are the types of jobs that were paraded around during the last 3 years as evidence of a stable economy despite where we all knew we were heading, yes?

4. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,128
    This makes sense, having been with the same job for 25 years, I guess the exporting of jobs hasn't really been on my radar. Which isn't to say that I was ignorant of what was happening, I guess I just hadn't given it too much thought.

Again, I would have to say that you are more than likely correct. The only thing I know for sure is that my personal economy has been and continues to be stable.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    You're still correct in how minimum wage is used. Entry level, though around here even 16 year olds at McD's are starting at $7.65 an hour. My daughter works part time at Yankee Candle, she's making $11.50 in a college town.

Anyone making minimum wage should not be renting a two bedroom home.

6. Warner

Warner Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16
    One thing our government (at the Federal level) really needs to do is to shut down the "less than full time" benefits loophole. This is how big companies (i.e. Wal-Mart) get around paying benefits to their employees.

7. Warner

Warner Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Umm.. I think that figure refers to renting a 2 bedroom apartment, not a house.

So now I guess you're next statement will be "anyone making minimum wage should not have children"?

8. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,128
    I wouldn't say they shouldn't, but I would advise them to seriously think twice.

9. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    And if they drop out of the work force or school to have children, then hubby runs off and they have to get the only job they can do, which is probably a minimum wage job, should they then give up the kids?

10. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,128
    I don't know. I suppose that, if they want what is best for both the child and themselves, yes, they should. Speaking from my experience, it's tough enough to raise kids when you have a good paying job, I can't imagine trying to do it while earning minimum wage. In the end, I can only make decisions for me and mine. What other people do is up to them.