A-10 Worthless POS

What? The B-2 is ALREADY being replaced?
Hah hah who would look an an article about the next generation bomber that specifically ties it's introduction to the end of service life for B-1 and B-52, then conclude the B-2 is being replaced?

Answer = the guy who believes the B-2 can't fly in the rain

That's true, but then that's all it would take to hit the B-2 too. I don't see a B-2 doing an overflight of Russia any time soon. Hell they flew them over South Korea..not North Korea. If they were so stealthy they could have done that and no one would have known.
An extremely low observable aircraft is much harder to detect and hit with a radar guided missile than one that isn't. You are taking great leaps of illogic to try to ignore this point and chase your incorrect conclusions.

As far as the MOP goes, they need to justify the existence of the B-2 so they will do whatever they can to support its supposed superiority.
Yep when the facts don't support you just fall back on conspiracy theories right? They were first over Baghdad not because they made the most sense as a much more survivable platform since stealthy, not it was just propaganda! :lol:

That is completely untrue. As I said before there are compromises that have been made to the basic airframe that penalize the performance of ALL models. It won't be a good interceptor because it's stealthiness has been compromised. It won't be a good naval air fighter because it's range is compromised and to think it can replace the A-10 or even the AV-8B is a crock.
It is still rated as low-observable and will get first look at any other aircraft in the world first that isn't called F-22 or B-2. You either greatly underestimate how much of an advantage first-look is or are being purposely obtuse to cling to you argument.

You say it's range has been compromised because of the design so it won't be a good naval air fighter, but the F-35C (the naval variant) has a larger wing and more internal fuel that gives it a combat radius of 600nm, which is more than the F-18.

I won't even bother with your silly harrier statement, we know you can somehow with a straight face say a AV-8B that is subsonic, far less range, non-stealthy, with less payload than the F-35B cannot be replaced by it.

Fuel consumption is outrageously high leading to short missions or frequent refueling requirements.
F-35Bs combat radius is 450nm.

Compare that to AV8B (what it is replacing) combat radius of 300nm.

So basically you are complaining about short missions that are 50% improvement.

But even more important then range is speed and loiter times.

The entire purpose of the AV8B/F-35B is not combat, but defense. Something that some in here keep missing over and over and again (no matter how many times I repeat it).

The aircraft on board any kind of "carrier", be it a Nimitz class super carrier (CVN) or a Wasp class amphibious assault ship (LHD) is that their first, last, and primary mission is the protection of the Carrier and all other ships in the group.

And other strike mission is secondary to the primary mission.

And as such, the 300 nmi is not an issue, since that is much larger then their defensive bubble around their little fleet. And if they have to go further, that is what tankers, drop tanks, and buddy tanks are for.

That is completely untrue. As I said before there are compromises that have been made to the basic airframe that penalize the performance of ALL models. It won't be a good interceptor because it's stealthiness has been compromised. It won't be a good naval air fighter because it's range is compromised and to think it can replace the A-10 or even the AV-8B is a crock.

Somehow I missed this earlier, but now that I have seen it I have to comment.

Stealth has not a damned thing to do with intercepting. Because during an intercept mission 9 times out of 10 the target being intercepted has no RADAR on, and is only tracking from feedback from a distant AWACS or some other FAC.

In fact, here is a quick bonus question: What is the range of the RADAR in the F-117?

When talking about intercepting aircraft, the STEALTH capabilities of the interceptor are largely irrelevant. It is the target that matters when it comes to STEALTH.

Oh, and the combat range of the F-35 series? About the same as the F/A-18.

Oh, and the combat range of the F-35 series? About the same as the F/A-18.
This is key, and falls among the bullshit like "can't fly in the rain" or "can't carry enough ordinance" arguments that don't stand up to scrutiny yet are repeated over and over. F-35A range is comparable to F-18, F-35C range exceeds it, and F-35B is far greater than AV-8B, yet we keep seeing this range thing brought up.

F-35 has had problems, encountered setbacks, etc. but IMO there has never been more politics driving perception and twisting opinions. You end up with utterly absurd claims, like Westwall's that the AV-8B is a better aircraft in it's role, that have zero chance of being supported with facts.

Do you know of many, or any, examples of the A-10 being shot down or having failed in its primary mission?
I do!

Several have been shot down by SAMs, including MANPADS.

It isn't anything against the A-10, that is indeed one tough plane, but let's not start pretending it is somehow impervious to anti-aircraft fire.

Also = those pictures people like to post of A-10s with holes thru their wings and tails and pieces of one engine ripped up? That would be a mission kill, that plane isn't going back out the next day on another sortie, a heavily damaged plane isn't something to celebrate.

A high flyer accurately hitting targets with a targeting pod and precision guided munitions will bring it's pilot home too.

Back in the early 70s when A-10 was designed other fighter bombers couldn't effectively target moving targets on the ground because they would have to go low and slow thus exposing them to antiaircraft fire. Targets were spotted with eyeballs and weapons like the fart gun and the original electro-optical guided mavericks needed to be closer and in daylight.

Today we can effectively engage moving ground targets from much higher altitudes. An F-16/F-15E/B-52/F-18/A-10/B-1/Harrier with a sniper pod can identify, track, and put precision guided weapons on target from standoff range, greatly reducing the risk to pilot and plane. Networked battlefield information systems and newer weapons with tri-mode seekers expand this even further.

An A-10 flying low and slow can do a great job in an air support role, but this is no longer the only way to accomplish the mission.

Last edited:
Worthless? Any other plane woulda wet its pants, nosed down, and crashed:

Kim_campbell_damage_a10.jpg

Kim Campbell pilot - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Should be renamed 'Flying Tank'

As I said before there are compromises that have been made to the basic airframe that penalize the performance of ALL models. It won't be a good interceptor because it's stealthiness has been compromised.
Every exercise they have makes ignorant statements like this look a little bit funnier. From Red Flag going on right now at Nellis....
Controversial F-35A warplane struts its stuff in Red Flag excercise

"As of Thursday the F-35’s kill ratio with aggressor jets stood at 15-1"

That sure sounds like a plane that can't perform in the air-to-air role due to compromised stealth eh? FOOL. The beauty of this is it'll keep on coming, year after year as more pilots fly this thing and it participates in more exercises it'll look more and more ridiculous people like you claiming it's all just PR stunts and propaganda.

We'll just keep on coming back to find the history of your "wisdom" on the F-35 going forward.

As I said before there are compromises that have been made to the basic airframe that penalize the performance of ALL models. It won't be a good interceptor because it's stealthiness has been compromised.
Every exercise they have makes ignorant statements like this look a little bit funnier. From Red Flag going on right now at Nellis....
Controversial F-35A warplane struts its stuff in Red Flag excercise

"As of Thursday the F-35’s kill ratio with aggressor jets stood at 15-1"

That sure sounds like a plane that can't perform in the air-to-air role due to compromised stealth eh? FOOL. The beauty of this is it'll keep on coming, year after year as more pilots fly this thing and it participates in more exercises it'll look more and more ridiculous people like you claiming it's all just PR stunts and propaganda.

We'll just keep on coming back to find the history of your "wisdom" on the F-35 going forward.

Yes, simulated combat is where it's at. The F-15, on the other hand, has a better than 98-1 kill ratio in REAL combat.

Ah I understand.

Your position is that F-35 dominating other fighters in Red Flag isn't really indicative of anything since they weren't actually shooting live missiles. They can't figure out who can actually see their opponents first, get into a position for a lock, evade, etc. nah these exercises they run every year produce no meaningful information to evaluate how well different aircraft perform against each other in air combat. Complete boondoggle. We'll take that further and say by extension the F-22 doesn't make a good interceptor, since there is absolutely no combat evidence that it is the dominant air superiority fighter they claim it is, we don't believe in useful data from simulated combat.

Therefore Westwall's claim that the F-35 won't make a good interceptor stands, regardless of dominance in these silly Red Flag exercises.

You can't make up comedy gold like this. :laugh:

Ah I understand.

Your position is that F-35 dominating other fighters in Red Flag isn't really indicative of anything since they weren't actually shooting live missiles. They can't figure out who can actually see their opponents first, get into a position for a lock, evade, etc. nah these exercises they run every year produce no meaningful information to evaluate how well different aircraft perform against each other in air combat. Complete boondoggle. We'll take that further and say by extension the F-22 doesn't make a good interceptor, since there is absolutely no combat evidence that it is the dominant air superiority fighter they claim it is, we don't believe in useful data from simulated combat.

Therefore Westwall's claim that the F-35 won't make a good interceptor stands, regardless of dominance in these silly Red Flag exercises.

No, what I'm saying is the F-35 should have a 15-0 kill ratio based on the hype we are hearing. Simulated combat is a good way to assess an aircraft and 15-1 is good, but for the exhorbitant cost i would expect better performance than that. The F-15 is still the most successful air to air fighter ever fielded in real combat so that is what I am measuring the F-35 against.

Ah I understand.

No, what I'm saying is the F-35 should have a 15-0 kill ratio based on the hype we are hearing. Simulated combat is a good way to assess an aircraft and 15-1 is good, but for the exhorbitant cost i would expect better performance than that. The F-15 is still the most successful air to air fighter ever fielded in real combat so that is what I am measuring the F-35 against.

Let's take a look at that statement. In Redflag, the blue team is flying against the red team. The Red Team is made up of the best the AF has. These guys take the F-5D and make fools out of regular F-15C Pilots. The idea behind Red Flag is to teach the Blue Team not to fail by putting up more and more deadly red team until it actually does. What the normal pilots bring out of is is knowing how to win. But first you have to learn how to lose. You may think you are a hot stick but Red Flag, like Top Gun, makes you become a better stick.

Now about capability. Let's do the same loadout on a F-16 that a F-35 normally carries. You are going to need two drop tanks, 4 Air to Air, two bombs, all carried externally. While the F-35A is capable of Mach 1.6, the F-16 just dropped to Mach 1.3 or less. The F-35A maintains a 9+ G rating while your F-16 drops to 7.5. Those are the real numbers, not something extracted from an early test.

When flying Red Flag, the F-15 doesn't come off so well. Remember, it's flying against the best of the best. It doesn't even make a 4 to 1 kill rate there. Yes, the real world, it's 105 to 0 but Red Flag is not real world. It's you against the best of the best. For the F-35A to get a 15 to 1 in air to air role, that's pretty damned impressive.

From what I heard the ground Troops loved the A-10 which they affectionately called "the warthog". The A-10 could come in low and slow and kick the doo-doo out of enemy troops. Hell, they used prop planes in Korea and Vietnam for the same reason. The times have changed and the fat asses in the Pentagon no longer want to fight or take responsibility for the deaths on both sides in a freaking battle. The A-10 is no longer useful because the fat asses set the rules so you couldn't use it. The US Troops in Afghanistan have to get permission practically from the Secretary of Defense to call in an artillery strike and Troops have to hold their fire and risk their lives rather than take a chance in a court martial if a rag head civilian is killed.

Jealous Air Force brass wanted a plane that could do what army helos could do. It NEVER did what it was suppose to do, cold war ended, and if it had tried it would have been pounded by Soviet AA fire. It was slow, vulenarable and not easily replaced. Junk, the only ones that like it are people that fight battles in their dreams

Yeah....right....:cuckoo:
iraq-highway-of-death-1991.jpg

10.jpg

Rusting_tank_at_the_Highway_of_Death_in_Iraq.jpg

And on and on and on.... lots of pictures showing the destruction that the A-10's have wrought on enemy tanks.

You sir, are a moron..
A-6s from Carriers in the gulf did a lot of that too.

From what I heard the ground Troops loved the A-10 which they affectionately called "the warthog". The A-10 could come in low and slow and kick the doo-doo out of enemy troops. Hell, they used prop planes in Korea and Vietnam for the same reason. The times have changed and the fat asses in the Pentagon no longer want to fight or take responsibility for the deaths on both sides in a freaking battle. The A-10 is no longer useful because the fat asses set the rules so you couldn't use it. The US Troops in Afghanistan have to get permission practically from the Secretary of Defense to call in an artillery strike and Troops have to hold their fire and risk their lives rather than take a chance in a court martial if a rag head civilian is killed.

Jealous Air Force brass wanted a plane that could do what army helos could do. It NEVER did what it was suppose to do, cold war ended, and if it had tried it would have been pounded by Soviet AA fire. It was slow, vulenarable and not easily replaced. Junk, the only ones that like it are people that fight battles in their dreams

Yeah....right....:cuckoo:
iraq-highway-of-death-1991.jpg

10.jpg

Rusting_tank_at_the_Highway_of_Death_in_Iraq.jpg

And on and on and on.... lots of pictures showing the destruction that the A-10's have wrought on enemy tanks.

You sir, are a moron..
A-6s from Carriers in the gulf did a lot of that too.

Actually the USMC 3rd MAW started the whole thing with Rockeyes at both ends of the column.

Forum List

Back