9th Ward Floods again in New Orleans.

GunnyL said:
I think we shouldn't rebuild it. ;)

LOL! I get it. Also I'm getting that a few areas of the city are not worth rebuilding. I talked to someone that had just came back from that area and the 9th ward is just a heart beat away from another major flooding. Everything is destroyed and whatever is rebuilt will flood again from a major cold front. What he described to me was land that had sunk and instead of it being like five feet below sea level it is now like 20 feet. Kind of amazing.

Building on a swamp isn't really the brightest idea anyone has ever come up with. I think some serious consideration should be given to what is and is not rebuilt with regard to the constant threat.

Sooner of later, NO WILL be hit by another hurricane.

TEH BU$HITLER + KKKARL ROVE CAUSED TEH COLD FRONT CAUSE THEY HATE BLACK PPL!!!!!!11!!!!1!!1!!!!!!1!!one!!!1!one1eleventyone!!

GunnyL said:
Building on a swamp isn't really the brightest idea anyone has ever come up with. I think some serious consideration should be given to what is and is not rebuilt with regard to the constant threat.

That would be true if New Orleans was built on a swamp. It is not. The thing that drives me crazy is that a large portion of the city did not flood. The Westbank right across the river from the French Quarter didn't flood. The Quarter didn't flood. Most of Metairie didn't flood. The CBD did flood. Bigger and better levees that weren't build in the 1960's is all that is needed but I'm willing to admit that areas like the 9th ward that are beyond saving. As far as New Orleans being hit by another major cane well I've this about a 1,000 times, yes you are right but we have been here since 1718 and this is the first time this has happened. I think that Los Angles and San Fransico are more likely to get the big quake before we see another Katrina. That is if they build stronger levees and pumps that actually work and weren't designed in the 1960's.

GunnyL said:

the problem is somebody owns that property. Taking it away will
cause some upset.

But they could deny them the federal flood insurance for the future.

Build on your risk,

nosarcasm said:
cause some upset.

Build on your risk,

Who said anything about taking away property? The fact is the property is worthless now anyway. What the heck is the worth of property that is under water?

nosarcasm said:
cause some upset.

Build on your risk,

The state could always buy them out. I read somewhere that the area had only 40% home ownership most were rentals.

Trigg said:
The state could always buy them out. I read somewhere that the area had only 40% home ownership most were rentals.

The question is "If the government buys them out, will they get any money for it"? I doubt the fair market value for property that is underwater is very high.

nosarcasm said:
cause some upset.

Build on your risk,

Use immenent domain and condemn the property, it is clearly a hazard. The people who own the property will receive fair value and can rebuild elsewhere.

Forum List

Back