99% of school kids handcuffed by NYC police black/Latino

Aries

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2017
New York
An overwhelming number of all public school students placed in handcuffs by New York Police Department officers in 2016 were black or Hispanic ― a whopping 99 percent, to be exact.

NYCLU Executive Director Donna Lieberman told the New York Daily News that police action in school has a big impact on kids’ academic and emotional well-being.

“When a child is handcuffed, the child is humiliated,” Lieberman said. “It’s incompatible with the safe and supportive learning environment a school is supposed to provide."

In the report, Lieberman emphasized that the use of harsh police tactics in school “is neither necessary nor effective to keep children and staff safe.”

Despite the progress that’s been made in reducing school-based arrests in the city, 99 percent is beyond a troubling number. The figure only emphasizes the fact that black and Latinx children, who are disciplined more often and more severely throughout their years in school than white students, face an all too real school-to-prison pipeline. And too often, it puts students’ livelihoods at risk (see: 2015 assault at Spring Valley High School).

The NYCLU recommended that New York City move to limit the role of police in school discipline and “operate in a manner consistent with the best interests of children.”

99% Of Students Handcuffed In School By NYPD In 2016 Were Black Or Latinx | HuffPost

Whatever you do, do not question american society. It's those damn kids.

An overwhelming number of all public school students placed in handcuffs by New York Police Department officers in 2016 were black or Hispanic ― a whopping 99 percent, to be exact.

NYCLU Executive Director Donna Lieberman told the New York Daily News that police action in school has a big impact on kids’ academic and emotional well-being.

“When a child is handcuffed, the child is humiliated,” Lieberman said. “It’s incompatible with the safe and supportive learning environment a school is supposed to provide."

In the report, Lieberman emphasized that the use of harsh police tactics in school “is neither necessary nor effective to keep children and staff safe.”

Despite the progress that’s been made in reducing school-based arrests in the city, 99 percent is beyond a troubling number. The figure only emphasizes the fact that black and Latinx children, who are disciplined more often and more severely throughout their years in school than white students, face an all too real school-to-prison pipeline. And too often, it puts students’ livelihoods at risk (see: 2015 assault at Spring Valley High School).

The NYCLU recommended that New York City move to limit the role of police in school discipline and “operate in a manner consistent with the best interests of children.”

99% Of Students Handcuffed In School By NYPD In 2016 Were Black Or Latinx | HuffPost

Maybe the white kids don't get as violent? It's my opinion that if cops are always coming to their schools and the kids are getting handcuffed, they probably aren't as worried about their academics as this liebermann woman wishes they were. I mean, the cops only come to school when there's a problem, right?

Last edited:

They need to put the parents in cuffs, too, until they teach their kids to behave.

Maybe the white kids don't get as violent? It's my opinion that if cops are always coming to their schools and the kids are getting handcuffed, they probably aren't as worried about their academics as this liebermann woman wishes they were. I mean, the cops only come to school when there's a problem, right?
Police are stationed in pub schools in much of ny and definitely in NYC. Where I live in NY public schools all have police and metal detectors at the door. No one is calling the police on these kids.

Police are stationed in pub schools in much of ny and definitely in NYC. Where I live in NY public schools all have police and metal detectors at the door. No one is calling the police on these kids.

So why the handcuffing of only minorities? Maybe they need to be put in handcuffs. This is something fairly new, since when I was growing up schools were mostly segregated, and a white parent would have been out of his mind to send his kid to a mostly colored school. Those schools were too dangerous.

Yes, attack Americans (except black or Latino or Jewish or Asian Americans) when black or Latino children misbehave because

1. kids become studious when they learn it's not their fault they misbehave
  2. blaming society encourages sperm donors to become fathers
  3. black and Latino children don't misbehave any more than any other children. Teachers call the cops because they are turned on by men in uniform
  4. white teachers are Americans so they deserve to be attacked (except the black, Latino, Jewish, or Asian teachers)

So why the handcuffing of only minorities? Maybe they need to be put in handcuffs. This is something fairly new, since when I was growing up schools were mostly segregated, and a white parent would have been out of his mind to send his kid to a mostly colored school. Those schools were too dangerous.
Well it's no longer segregated and African Americans make up a much smaller part of the population than whites. This type of discrepancy is unbelievable.

99% is so disproportionate that I am skeptical that it's true. However, I don't live in NY, so I don't know.

Yeah? Show us video of white students attacking each other and teachers. I can show you dozens if not hundreds of videos where black and hispanic thugs do that. Not the good kids mind you, just the thugs. They give everyone else a bad name because of their actions.

Well it's no longer segregated and African Americans make up a much smaller part of the population than whites. This type of discrepancy is unbelievable.
So unbelievable that I don't beleive it.

I don't know about NYC, but schools are more segregated than you think. Ask any real estate agent what one of the priorities is for people buying real estate. The schools. Too many black and latino kids in the school district, the buyers will look elsewhere. This is not prejudice or racism. It's just common sense.

I don't know about NYC, but schools are more segregated than you think. Ask any real estate agent what one of the priorities is for people buying real estate. The schools. Too many black and latino kids in the school district, the buyers will look elsewhere. This is not prejudice or racism. It's just common sense.

As Fentun Loon points out, it's white America's fault for building "failing schools" only in black or Latino areas. In white and Asian areas, we build non-failing schools. How do we identify a "failing school"? Not sure. It's a New York Times invention. But I've always imagined, like, the doors only work on Wednesdays and Fridays. The stairs only go halfway up. The blackboards are gray.

As Fentun Loon points out, it's white America's fault for building "failing schools" only in black or Latino areas. In white and Asian areas, we build non-failing schools. How do we identify a "failing school"? Not sure. It's a New York Times invention. But I've always imagined, like, the doors only work on Wednesdays and Fridays. The stairs only go halfway up. The blackboards are gray.
This article is more so about minority students be punished, disciplined more severely, use of force...

Interesting story.
A black student with a glue gun triggered a lockdown at Colgate University. Here’s what happened next.

This article is more so about minority students be punished, disciplined more severely, use of force...

Interesting story.
A black student with a glue gun triggered a lockdown at Colgate University. Here’s what happened next.

There are indeed cases of excessive force, but not all. How do you deal with people like these?
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

They need to put the parents in cuffs, too, until they teach their kids to behave.
We need to cuff everyone, we have a for profit penal system and Wall Street has expectations.

Yes, attack Americans (except black or Latino or Jewish or Asian Americans) when black or Latino children misbehave because

3. black and Latino children don't misbehave any more than any other children. Teachers call the cops because they are turned on by men in uniform
  4. white teachers are Americans so they deserve to be attacked (except the black, Latino, Jewish, or Asian teachers)
If only you could own folk again.

If only you could own folk again.
The only folk I've ever owned is you on this message board. <blows the smoke off the barrel, spins gun on finger, slides it deftly into the holster>

New Topics

Forum List

Back