96 Democrats in house block bail-out bill

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
rocky mountains
Our government at work. Over the last several days we have seen democrat senate leader Harry Reid, & democrat house leader Nancy Pelosi in front of T.V. cameras at least on 3 different occasions--saying "we have a deal"--"we have a deal"--& again last night at midnight--"we have a deal" on the 700 billion dollar bailout.

Apparently Nancy Pelosi forgot to count the votes in the house. 1/3 of house republicans voted against it while 2/3 of house republicans voted for it.

Now get this! 96 HOUSE DEMOCRATS VOTED AGAINST THIS BILL.

Nancy Pelosi only needed 11 more votes, & she couldn't even get them from her democrat congressional party.

To add insult to injury--Nancy Pelosi gave a 5 minute partisan hateful speech, against you know who--President Bush. Now that's the way for bi-partisanship, & how to get an important bill passed, isn't it?

Our government at work. Over the last several days we have seen democrat senate leader Harry Reid, & democrat house leader Nancy Pelosi in front of T.V. cameras at least on 3 different occasions--saying "we have a deal"--"we have a deal"--& again last night at midnight--"we have a deal" on the 700 billion dollar bailout.

Apparently Nancy Pelosi forgot to count the votes in the house. 1/3 of house republicans voted against it while 2/3 of house republicans voted for it.

Now get this! 96 HOUSE DEMOCRATS VOTED AGAINST THIS BILL.

Nancy Pelosi only needed 11 more votes, & she couldn't even get them from her democrat congressional party.

To add insult to injury--Nancy Pelosi gave a 5 minute partisan hateful speech, against you know who--President Bush. Now that's the way for bi-partisanship, & how to get an important bill passed, isn't it?

I love how you don't include that if all the Republican's would have voted for it then it wouldve passed with flying colors

:lol:

so you want completely discount the fact that 67% of Republicans voted NO while laying the blame at the feet of the Dems who delivered 140 votes or 2/3 of their party which is what was agreed upon BEFORE the vote. If it's supposed to be bi-partisan wouldn't it stand to reason that AS MANY Republicans would vote FOR it as Democrats did? yes, indeed...bi-partisan means both parties go in equally....

The Repubs screwed the pooch and ya'll are in panic mode cuz you know that's how the general public is going to read this and since they already blame the Republican party fo this mess, when and if it gets worse because of this failed bill, I wouldn't be surprised to see many Republicans lose their House and Senate seats.

Who gives a fuck what Nancy said about Bush? Everyone fucking hates Bush...if the Repubs want to stand up for Bush then fine... put their own partisan politics ahead of the good of the country... that's how it looks to the public.

I'm hearing two different narratives from Republicans ...

One where the Republicans are heroes for killing the bill.

And the other where Democrats are villians for killing the bill.

What gives?

What gives?

it's called having your cake and eating it too...

It's kind of funny that the Republicans say they'd have voted for it only mean ole Nancy hadn't said Bush fucked up... yet they want credit for voting No too!!

This is going to blow up in their faces.... there's no way they don't know this after watching everything fall apart and it being obvious that all that was needed were 12 Republican votes to make it pass.

140 dems supported this bill... it's not even their bill....hence the House Republicans stalling the negotiations on Friday in order to John McCain to ride to the rescue... I bet he's fucking pissed tonight... he took credit for this bills passage over the weekend and this morning and now he looks like a complete dumbfuck.... it's classic... The Republicans not only continue to betray the American public but now they've fucked their Presidential candidate too... :clap2:

It's kind of funny that the Republicans say they'd have voted for it only mean ole Nancy hadn't said Bush fucked up... yet they want credit for voting No too!!

This is going to blow up in their faces.... there's no way they don't know this after watching everything fall apart and it being obvious that all that was needed were 12 Republican votes to make it pass.

140 dems supported this bill... it's not even their bill....hence the House Republicans stalling the negotiations on Friday in order to John McCain to ride to the rescue... I bet he's fucking pissed tonight... he took credit for this bills passage over the weekend and this morning and now he looks like a complete dumbfuck.... it's classic... The Republicans not only continue to betray the American public but now they've fucked their Presidential candidate too... :clap2:

They are certainly behaving rather erratically lately ...

As you noted this isn't even the Democrats bill. This is Bush's bill and the Republicans were suppposed to be rallied by their new standard bearer, John McCain. What awful "leadership" from both McCain and Bush ... they can't even get their own party to fall in line and support their own bills ...

As much as I can't stand Nancy Pelosi she produced the votes she said she would ...

:iagree:

I loved how Oreo tried to spin this into being the Democrats fault.

But when this blows up in the republicans faces, all I can do is laugh.

They are certainly behaving rather erratically lately ...

As you noted this isn't even the Democrats bill. This is Bush's bill and the Republicans were suppposed to be rallied by their new standard bearer, John McCain. What awful "leadership" from both McCain and Bush ... they can't even get their own party to fall in line and support their own bills ...

As much as I can't stand Nancy Pelosi she produced the votes she said she would ...

Again, she provided 2/3 and this wasn't even her bill. Yet it's her fault?

Republican spin game doesn't work when obvious fool is obvious. :eusa_whistle:

:lol:

so you want completely discount the fact that 67% of Republicans voted NO while laying the blame at the feet of the Dems who delivered 140 votes or 2/3 of their party which is what was agreed upon BEFORE the vote. If it's supposed to be bi-partisan wouldn't it stand to reason that AS MANY Republicans would vote FOR it as Democrats did? yes, indeed...bi-partisan means both parties go in equally....

The Repubs screwed the pooch and ya'll are in panic mode cuz you know that's how the general public is going to read this and since they already blame the Republican party fo this mess, when and if it gets worse because of this failed bill, I wouldn't be surprised to see many Republicans lose their House and Senate seats.
Who gives a fuck what Nancy said about Bush? Everyone fucking hates Bush...if the Repubs want to stand up for Bush then fine... put their own partisan politics ahead of the good of the country... that's how it looks to the public.

He doesn't see the game being played. They wanted the dems to be responsible for this bill. I hope the dems only give them a piece of the money. Do you know this new bill still lets paulson pick his team? So he'll pick the same guys that fucked up walstreet to fix it. I wish the dems would not vote for this until January. Or give the banks a little if any.

Because this bil doesn't fix anything. This is the biggest bank robbery ever. Fdic is not giving loans out to local banks that say they are doing ok. They are shutting the economy down on purpose. It's desaster capitalism. look up naomi klein on the subject. but they scared us into giving them billions before every election. patriot act, iraq, immigration, fisa, and now this last loting of the treasury?

America, i'm ashamed of you and myself for letting them get away with it.

The dems can't afford to let the gop create a wedge issue and steal this election with bullshit. So either 66 percent of the gop back this bush bill or FUCK OFF. imo

I love how you don't include that if all the Republican's would have voted for it then it wouldve passed with flying colors

Well, it's probably very hard for republicans to vote for this bill, when it was democrats that created this mess in the first place. Note--another thread on this board, that has Bill Clinton agreeing that it was democrats that blocked any new legislation that was trying to reign these agencies in.

Adding insult to injury--Nancy Pelosi insulting their intelligence today, didn't help matters at all.

96 DEMOCRATS--Of Nancy Pelosi's party just voted AGAINST her!

^this one's gonna blow any minute now ...

I also don't think that oreo realizes that Bill Clinton would sell his soul to the devil at the moment for a 3rd term shot at the White House.

He's living his dreams through Hillary and he's looking ahead to 2012.

I'm glad the bill was blocked by both the republicans and a few democrats..

aside from it going against the foundations of America in having a small government and letting those who were irresponsible in giving out shady loans pay for it..

1. Yeah, Pelosi's rant on how it was Bush's or republicans fault while trying to claim bipartisanism probably wasn't the smartest move..

2. Even more importantly, those republicans and a few dems probably saw that this bill is loaded with a bunch of unnecessary partisan junk. If they really cared couldn't they put all that other stuff in something else and just implement the meat and potatoes?

Not to mention the quickness of said bill is remarkable considering the magnitude of the economic crisis.

You would think they would want to get it right now so we don't have to come back in 10 years and do it again...

although I don't support the current bill for the same reasons it was blocked..I do believe something needs to be done..just not the government giving money back into the companies that got us here in the first place..

Well, it's probably very hard for republicans to vote for this bill, when it was democrats that created this mess in the first place. Note--another thread on this board, that has Bill Clinton agreeing that it was democrats that blocked any new legislation that was trying to reign these agencies in.

Adding insult to injury--Nancy Pelosi insulting their intelligence today, didn't help matters at all.

96 DEMOCRATS--Of Nancy Pelosi's party just voted AGAINST her!

Wow, Bush takes over with 6 years of a Repub Congress and a balanced budget and its the Dem's fault? I'm sure that both sides have played a role but for you to point the entire blame at the Dem's is beyond ignorant, its hilarious and also makes you look ridiculous

Again, she provided 2/3 and this wasn't even her bill. Yet it's her fault?

Republican spin game doesn't work when obvious fool is obvious. :eusa_whistle:

That's what happens when 'You're" the leader, or for simple terms you can understand--"the boss" of the house of representatives. Nancy Pelosi--in her always fashion is much more busy bashing the other side of the isle than working with them.

This time she couldn't even get just 11 of the 96 house democrats that opposed this bill to go her way. Then she gave a 5 minute speech, prior to the vote, again bashing the other side of the isle, in a futile attempt to place "all" blame on republicans & President Bush. That's no way to win over Republicans. In fact, I am very surprised after her mouth lashing that she got 2/3's of the house republicans.

Just, last night at midnight she was in front of a camera & micro-phone saying there would be no problems getting this new bill to pass.

Nancy Pelosi is a total failure! You elected her, then democrats in the house elected her as house leader. (Deal with it.)

Last edited:
That's what happens when 'You're" the leader, or for simple terms you can understand--"the boss" of the house of representatives. Nancy Pelosi--in her always fashion is much more busy bashing the other side of the isle than working with them.

This time she couldn't even get just 11 of the 96 house democrats that opposed this bill to go her way. Then she gave a 5 minute speech, prior to the vote, again bashing the other side of the isle, in a futile attempt to place "all" blame on republicans & President Bush. That's no way to win over Republicans. In fact, I am very surprised after her mouth lashing that she got 2/3's of the house republicans.

Just, last night at midnight she was in front of a camera & micro-phone saying there would be no problems getting this new bill to pass.

Nancy Pelosi is a total failure! You elected her, then democrats in the house elected her as house leader. (Deal with it.)

Seriously ... you are looking like a complete fool ...

Pelosi made a deal with the reps to pass Bush's plan. She would provide 140 votes and the Reps would provide the rest.

The Dems held up their end of the bargain ...

Seriously ... you are looking like a complete fool ...

Pelosi made a deal with the reps to pass Bush's plan. She would provide 140 votes and the Reps would provide the rest.

The Dems held up their end of the bargain ...

The bill was put forth by a republican. The bill is not republican.
Therefore the republicans did not feel that they were obligated to vote for something they (and 95 dems) don't agree with.

What gives?

The TRUTH IS OUTING.

It was NEVER the Rs v the Ds.

It has ALWAYS been about the insiders V the outsiders.

The bill was put forth by a republican. The bill is not republican.
Therefore the republicans did not feel that they were obligated to vote for something they (and 95 dems) don't agree with.

really? Because John McCain and his surrogates certainly were taking credit for bringing the house republicans to the table and working this deal out. Paulson is a republican...it was HIS plan that was sent originally. BOTH parties worked out how to fix his fucked up proposal.

The long story short is this mess is the fault of the Republicans...they had control of Congress for 12 YEARS.... ya'll took a budget surplus and fucked it away.... ya'll passed deregulation thinking the free market would self regulate even though history has proven that's NEVER the case.

The American people blame the Republicans...there is no two ways about this... ya'll can yell and scream til you're blue in the face that it's Nancy's fault but the numbers don't lie... The Dems delivered their portion of the votes 140 YAY votes... all the repubs had to deliver was 78 votes to make this bill pass and they couldn't even manage that... after a year of blocking every Democratic initiative this looks like more party politics.

One thing I've noticed about pelosi and the people that defend her,is they are just so nice, gregarious, magnanimous, warm and fuzzy when they want to make a point. It's no wonder all people want to embrace their tactics and grace.

Forum List

Back