92% of Americans think their basic rights are being threatened

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Pretty interesting....When asked which right they would most the most if it were gone..freedom of speech and expression came in first!

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBY2yCy?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare

"Americans are most concerned that their freedom of speech (48%), right to bear arms (47%) and right to equal justice (41%) are at risk, says the Harris Poll/Purple Project, which surveyed 2,002 people nationwide.
"When you frame something as a threat, it creates a bit of a political response, and it creates division and encampments of special interest," said John Gerzema, CEO of the Harris Poll. That's why political parties and lobbying groups warn supporters with strident language, he said: It's easier to drum up backing for a political cause by talking about an issue in terms of "threats."

But when you start to consider which rights and freedoms really matter, Gerzema said, poll responses changed – and Americans re-prioritized which values they cared about most.
When asked what rights and freedoms Americans would miss if they were taken away – rather than which ones are threatened – poll respondents' concerns generally ticked upward.
Sixty-three percent said they would miss freedom of speech if that right was taken away, while nearly half would miss freedom of expression (46%) and the right to equal justice (45%).
"When you look at the things we really value, what makes America so special is these core tenets of our Constitution," Gerzema said. "I just find it interesting to note how much Americans really value this.""

I'm sorry, but Americans are basically morons. Most don't even understand freedom. Close as you get to even talking about them are on boards like this where people are active. But that's just a very, very small, declining demographic.

The President just issued an Executive Order which effectively tramples the 1st Amendment and the people love him for it. And that's a true impeachable offense.

They're finishing off the 4th Amendment with the NDAA that just got renewed.

We could keep going on and on. Want a gun? Well, relinquish your 1st and 5th and maybe they'll approve your application to the government to exercise your 2nd. The 10th has been out the window too long to count.

We could keep going. Wanna talk about stop and frisk? Free speech zones?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but Americans are basically morons. Most don't even understand freedom. Close as you get to even talking about them are on boards like this where people are active. But that's just a very, very small, declining demographic.

The President just issued an Executive Order which effectively tramples the 1st Amendment and the people love him for it. And that's a true impeachable offense.
So, how many times do you think Trump should be impeached?

The President just issued an Executive Order which effectively tramples the 1st Amendment and the people love him for it.

What EO is that?

Please don’t tell me you’re an anti-Semite...

Pretty interesting....When asked which right they would most the most if it were gone..freedom of speech and expression came in first!

But here's the problem. A good chunk of these people, probably the majority, view their rights threatened by the other party, but not their own.

Case and point

Well, the left is making no secret that they hate the First Amendment and want to do away with it.

So, how many times do you think Trump should be impeached?
As many times as it takes.

That's why he/we want that trial. It will destroy the Democrat Party so they'll never be able to pull this stuff again

We could keep going on and on. Want a gun? Well, relinquish your 1st and 5th and maybe they'll approve your application to the government to exercise your 2nd. The 10th has been out the window too long to count.

Welp now you will be labeled an anti Semite because you love liberty

Please don’t tell me you’re an anti-Semite...
Haha told ya

I'm on another board more focused on legal issues ... I log in as a guest because I'm not a member of any bar association ...

The 5th Amendment is under wholesale attack across the entire United States ... corruption in police departments, corruption in DA's offices and corruption on the bench ...

My son thinks he's entitled to sleep in my spare bedroom whenever he wants too ... he says I should have sent him to a better high school if I wanted him to understand the 3rd Amendment ... the local police said they'd arrest ME if I called again about this ... but I guess that's life in Trump country ...

But here's the problem. A good chunk of these people, probably the majority, view their rights threatened by the other party, but not their own.

Case and point

Well, the left is making no secret that they hate the First Amendment and want to do away with it.
Yup..the article..if any get that far...addresses that point most cogently:

"The poll results come at a juncture in American politics where friction and division are more apparent – and Americans are overwhelmingly frustrated by the discourse. In fact, another recent survey, a Public Agenda/USA TODAY/Ipsos poll, shows that the divisive national debate over just about everything has convinced many that the country is heading in the wrong direction. More than nine of 10 in that poll said it’s crucial for the U.S. to try to reduce that divisiveness.
Even among Americans with opposing political views, a majority surveyed in the Harris Poll/Purple Project – 55% – want more meaningful conversations.
How can this be done? Talking about issues in a way that de-escalates tensions from a threat and helps Americans find common ground, Gerzema said. So does finding common ground on shared values and freedoms, both at the dinner table and between the political aisle, he said.
Even if Americans don't agree on a contentious, politically charged topic, they can find shared values in the things that Americans tend to take for granted, he said.
After all, only 16% of Americans thought their right to own property was under threat, but 44% would miss that right. Same goes for free speech, which 63% said they would miss if it was gone – 15% more than felt free speech was at risk of being taken away."

WHAT EXECUTIVE ORDER did Trump issue that tramples the 1st Amendment?

Case and point

What you aren't considering is what the FOUNDERS considered protected speech. It isn't what the CV libertarians believe. Or the Democrats

92% of Americans think their basic rights are being threatened, new poll shows

"Americans are most concerned that their freedom of speech (48%), right to bear arms (47%) and right to equal justice (41%) are at risk, says the Harris Poll/Purple Project, which surveyed 2,002 people nationwide.
"When you frame something as a threat, it creates a bit of a political response, and it creates division and encampments of special interest," said John Gerzema, CEO of the Harris Poll. That's why political parties and lobbying groups warn supporters with strident language, he said: It's easier to drum up backing for a political cause by talking about an issue in terms of "threats."

But when you start to consider which rights and freedoms really matter, Gerzema said, poll responses changed – and Americans re-prioritized which values they cared about most.
When asked what rights and freedoms Americans would miss if they were taken away – rather than which ones are threatened – poll respondents' concerns generally ticked upward.
Sixty-three percent said they would miss freedom of speech if that right was taken away, while nearly half would miss freedom of expression (46%) and the right to equal justice (45%).
"When you look at the things we really value, what makes America so special is these core tenets of our Constitution," Gerzema said. "I just find it interesting to note how much Americans really value this.""

They're right, you know.

There is a fine line here. You have to admit to that. History has shown us that.

There is a fine line here. You have to admit to that. History has shown us that.
Please elaborate

Forum List

Back