91-year-old selling suicide kits

C_Clayton_Jones

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2011
In a Republic, actually
I'm actually not opposed to the general concept, as long as only those with genuine terminal illnesses can buy these things, and not those suffering from clinical depression.

But who makes that distinction and how? Also, those with genuine terminal illnesses are most often suffering from clinical depression.

This is why living wills and end of life contracts are important. Clearly stipulate the conditions you refuse to live with – for however long you may live – allowing you to end your life. And every state should enact laws to allow for such contracts.

I'm actually not opposed to the general concept, as long as only those with genuine terminal illnesses can buy these things, and not those suffering from clinical depression.

But who makes that distinction and how?
Ideally, I would want the patient to be examined by a panel of at least three psychiatrists. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Also, those with genuine terminal illnesses are most often suffering from clinical depression.
In those cases, the depression should be dealt with first, then the patient should decide if their remaining time is worth it.

This is why living wills and end of life contracts are important. Clearly stipulate the conditions you refuse to live with – for however long you may live – allowing you to end your life. And every state should enact laws to allow for such contracts.
I agree with that approach completely. Unfortunately, many states don't allow anything beyond a "do not resuscitate" order.

Forum List

Back