9/11 Was Ronald Reagan's Fault

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, May 6, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    So says DailyKos, he removed the solar panels from the White House. Now there is a lot before and after this post:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/5/6/04211/23788

For those unfamiliar with this popular website, here is one of his more infamous posts:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=10440&only=yes

2. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Kos is an idiot of course, that is a given.

However, (not blaming 9/11 on reagan) but one thing that has always bothered me is this:

The way he pulled out of Lebanon after the terror attacks there could not have been a positive reinforcment of America as "stoic" in the face of casualties. Does anyone have good information on what was going on there in the White House, why we turned tail so quickly and just ran away from Lebanon? Were the Dems threatening to cut funding the way they did in Vietnam and in Somalia?

I'm interested, I'm not out to blame Reagan for everything that happened with the US in Lebanon (after all, that's Iran and Syria that deserves the full credit for the terrorists being so well-trained and attacking American marines) but I would like to know what his motivations, pressures and reasons were for having to pull out like that.

3. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
  4. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

The Liberals always take the "Cut and Run" approach to everything...They are very good at starting things,however they have a bad track record on finishing them...what can one say? :alco:

5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    At the time, Arab terrorism was a minor concern. The Soviets, and how to deal with them, was the driving factor in foreign relations. I imagine that Reagan decided that it wasn't worth it to keep troops in Lebanon that could be used to stop the Soviet hordes sometime in the future.

6. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Well lets see...Reagan pulled out of Lebanon....after the terrorist attack..and you say it was a minor threat!uh hum...sorry I was a Intelligence Officer with the Department of Treasury during this time period...working on anti-terrorism threats and investigations...I really like you,however you are wrong on this one...It was pure and simple politics as usual...as it was during the Vietnam fiasco.........sigh :coffee3:

7. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    If anybody is to blame, it is Carter. He ruled as radical Islam was getting its start. His allowing the Shah to fall, and then letting the Shah come here, all started the "America is Satan" crap we still hear to this day. To simply blame it on Israel and our Israeli policy is too simplistic. There are a lot of reasons but it really got started during Carter's miserable reign. The American people were screaming for us to leave Lebanon and unless Reagan wanted to declare war, he couldn't keep them there because the Dems controlled both houses and the war power's act would have kicked in after 90 days.

8. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    See that's what I was looking for. Thanks :teeth:

9. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

I totally agree that Carter was a whimp,however I must tell you that I was working the Mexican border south of Yuma, Arizona (San Luis) to be exact during the time that the Shah of Iran was in Mexico and a asassination attempt was made on his life while in Mexico,this was during the Reagan Administration... well I detained the attempted asassination suspects on their return to Arizona...had the bodies,weapons masks etc,etc...low and behold I was contacted by the FBI and told to release them....I complied and all my reports mysteriously disappeared from the system...this was the point of no return for this dedicated law enforcement officer....I lost alot of respect for politicians et al...sad but true....what else can one say...but I was there and I saw....The assassins were from the Pershion Gulf area..I will give no further
    details as it is now irrelevant...(all four detainees were from South Yemen..had Calif dl's and addressess in San Francisco bay area)

Have a nice day and keep a open mind as to what politicians can and do to the system....

10. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    What?

My point was that in 1979, Carter let the Shah of Iran come to the US for cancer treatment. That led to the students taking US citizens as hostages in Tehran.