9-11 museum to charge a $25 admittance fee

Ya that's why the left want's it for free.....

Huh? You can't operate a museum or a park for free. So either you charge...or the government pays for it ...or a private charity pays for it.

Even piece of land needs maintenance that requires money.

Where is ANYONE asking for something for free?[/QUOTE]

Ask that question when ALL Americans pay Federal Income tax. Til then it's a fact. 50% pay 50% get a free ride. Thanks for asking.

First, great job funking up the quotes.

Second, great job answering a question about shit not mentioned in the thread

Third, you didn't comply with what you were supposed to prove.

I agree that Ground Zero ought to be a FEDERAL memorial, like the Vietnam Memorial. But that takes tax dollars. I'm fine with capitalism doing it's thing too - $25 per adult $10 per child or something like that. I'm NOT fine with people thinking that shit runs itself fo free.

Huh? You can't operate a museum or a park for free. So either you charge...or the government pays for it ...or a private charity pays for it.

Even piece of land needs maintenance that requires money.

Where is ANYONE asking for something for free?[/QUOTE]

Ask that question when ALL Americans pay Federal Income tax. Til then it's a fact. 50% pay 50% get a free ride. Thanks for asking.

First, great job funking up the quotes.

Second, great job answering a question about shit not mentioned in the thread

Third, you didn't comply with what you were supposed to prove.

I agree that Ground Zero ought to be a FEDERAL memorial, like the Vietnam Memorial. But that takes tax dollars. I'm fine with capitalism doing it's thing too - $25 per adult $10 per child or something like that. I'm NOT fine with people thinking that shit runs itself fo free.

Wut? :lol::cuckoo:

Ground Zero has been the number one tourist attraction in NY for the last decade. As long as there is free access to the Memorial itself, I don't care if the Museum charges a fee, or at least a "Suggested Donation".

Could end up making a profit for the city, actually.

This is outrageous. All Americans should have free access to pay their respects to one of the biggest tragedies in US history

A $25 fee to get into the 9/11 museum? - The Week

Some family members of 9/11 victims are furious over the steep admission fee that's being proposed for the National September 11 Memorial Museum, set to open this fall. To help foot the $60 million annual cost of running the museum, City Council members are floating the idea of charging either a mandatory admission fee, or a "suggested donation," of up to $25. "I think it's very crude," says New York City Fire Department Deputy Chief Jim Riches, who lost his son in the attacks.

"We wanted a simple, beautiful memorial," says Sally Regenhard, who lost her son in the attacks, as quoted by Reuters. "What we have here is something the families never asked for." Charging an admission fee tarnishes what should be a sacred site. "This is not the Metropolitan Museum of Art," says Riches. "It's supposed to be a memorial."

If they don't charge fees, how will they pay their operating expenses??

The Smithsonian Institution is free. These are our national museums and I think the 9-11 Museum should be a national museum also. The WTC site is some of the most expensive in the US, some of that revenue should be used to fund the memorial/museum. I also like the idea of corporate sponsorship. I think our major corporations would jump at the opportunity to have "sponsored by" attached to one of our most solemn attractions.

This is an educational site and people should be able to take their children and grandchildren without dishing out over $100. Economic times are tough and that is a lot of money for some families. The free 9-11 memorial will be a bunch of fountains and benches and names on the wall. I don't think future generations can get a feel for what 9-11 was about by looking at a bunch of fountains

The museum will tell the stories of our brave policemen and firemen, the museum will give you a feel of the terror felt by the trapped WTC employees, the museum will tell about the people on the hijacked planes. You shouldn't have to dish out $100 to experience that....and a bunch of fountains is not a substitute
By what right do you demand to use a museum for free? You have one insane entitlement mentality when you not only require needs to be handed to you for nothing but that you DEMAND something for free that you do not need in any shape or form. You have no special right to enter a museum and I should not be required to pay for you to do so.
In message after message on USMB, I have heard how conservatives would prefer charity based help over our Federal entitlement programs. Here is yet ANOTHER opportunity to see how well this theory works. How about all of you charitable conservatives give to this very worthy and PATRIOTIC cause and then they won't have to charge $25.00 entry fee?
Charity works precisely because it is voluntary, not compulsory. It's easy to claim you "care" about someone when you're robbing a third party to pay for the gifts you give them while taking all the credit. To point the finger at the victim of your mugging and say "if you gave a damn about the unfortunate, you'd pony up the bucks" after you're already pilfering out of his wallet is not only deceitful, but just plain demonic.

Going to a museum is hardly a necessity of life. It's not as though people will starve or be denied health care or lose their homes if they can't afford $25 for a museum. The truth is that every American can afford a $25 admission fee to any museum in the country, but that most of them would rather spend the $25 on a BigMac, or watch satellite TV, or a Ninetendo DS.
I had to point out the TRUTH. The bolded portion is the reality.

This is outrageous. All Americans should have free access to pay their respects to one of the biggest tragedies in US history

Some family members of 9/11 victims are furious over the steep admission fee that's being proposed for the National September 11 Memorial Museum, set to open this fall. To help foot the $60 million annual cost of running the museum, City Council members are floating the idea of charging either a mandatory admission fee, or a "suggested donation," of up to $25. "I think it's very crude," says New York City Fire Department Deputy Chief Jim Riches, who lost his son in the attacks.

"We wanted a simple, beautiful memorial," says Sally Regenhard, who lost her son in the attacks, as quoted by Reuters. "What we have here is something the families never asked for." Charging an admission fee tarnishes what should be a sacred site. "This is not the Metropolitan Museum of Art," says Riches. "It's supposed to be a memorial."

Why, exactly?

Ground Zero has been the number one tourist attraction in NY for the last decade. As long as there is free access to the Memorial itself, I don't care if the Museum charges a fee, or at least a "Suggested Donation".

Yeah..I know.

For quite some time..southern twanged yokels kept asking me where "Ground Zero" is..

It was pretty morbid.

I'm glad that doesn't happen any more and the site is buzzing with construction activity.

How else did you think the left was going to help pay for the ground zero mosque?

Boohoo. Somebody has to pay for the upkeep of the museum.

And while this may not be the most PC thing to say, I'm going to say it anyways: some of the 9/11 families need to stop thinking they have authority over anything 9/11 related. You've been compensated enough from the rest of the country.

Yes I feel bad for you. But enough is enough.

So, essentially, you don't want to pay for anything. That's awesome.

Pay the $25 or don't go, it's that easy.

I don't have a problem with it.

I don't know what is unreasonable about charing fees to enter a museum. Museums do this all the time. If you don't want to pay the fee, don't go. No one says you have to go to the museum to remember 9/11. Sheesh.

Yeah..I know.

For quite some time..southern twanged yokels kept asking me where "Ground Zero" is..

It was pretty morbid.

I'm glad that doesn't happen any more and the site is buzzing with construction activity.

About 8 years ago, I worked as a tour guide for Grey Line - the big red double decker tour buses - and we would give our tip speech before the bus got to ground zero, because we knew that every single person on the bus was going to get off there.

Forum List

Back