9/11 Health Bill shot down in the Senate, Republicans to blame

People are suffering and you want to jack up taxes from the economy. But you have no problem spending their money or their childrens money. And somehow we are the messed up ones.

Spending money on 9/11 responders? Yeah, I'll have to go with the 9/11 responders.

I'm thinking a large percentage of the population agrees with me here.

So much for remembering 9/11 though. Apparently that only applies when they want to use it as an excuse to spend trillions of dollars to invade Iraq.

Why did we wait 9 years to decide we needed to spend money on responders? What have they been doing in the meantime? DemonRats have been in control of the Congress since 2006 or thereabouts. Why did they pick the lame dick session to try and cram this through?

Using 911 for political gain really is despicable. This is one of the few things i think most Americans can agree on. Stop using 911 for your own selfish gain. 911 has been milked enough for God's sake. Thousands of shyster Lawyers have gotten incredibly wealthy off that tragedy. The only ones who have really benefited from 911 besides Al Qaeda,are the shyster Lawyers and some Politicians. Enough is enough.

There has been more than enough cash handed out since 911. Time to unplug the 911 ATM Machine. How much more cash should the American Taxpayers be forced to hand out? It has been milked to death. It's over. It happened Ten Years ago for God's sake. The sheister Lawyers have now found every possible angle to cash in on. There are no more angles. Let it go. Money is tight,the American Taxpayer doesn't have any more cash to hand out over 911. I know this sounds harsh & callous but it desperately needs to be said. Unplug the 911 ATM Machine for good. It's over.

Are you freaking serious?

You, specifically, were one of the prime people using 9/11 for political gain all this time. Now the 9/11 responders are trying to get recompense for their health issues and NOW is when you've decided that "enough is enough"????

I agree, it is time to put 9/11 behind us as a political football, but this wouldn't even be an issue if the Republicans weren't trying to hold it over the heads of the Democrats in order to get what they want.

Why did we wait 9 years to decide we needed to spend money on responders? What have they been doing in the meantime? DemonRats have been in control of the Congress since 2006 or thereabouts. Why did they pick the lame dick session to try and cram this through?

Because it took time for the health problems to show themselves? Because it's been working it's way through the courts? Because it's been delayed by the Republicans until now?

I read the article and the republicans didn't go against it because it was for health care for ground zero workers.

They went against it for a few reasons.

1) It did not have enough fraud protections
2) It taxed foreign companies only to pay for it (which I actually like)
3) Even with the tax it was not funded without adding to the national debt
4) The reps say they wont vote for anything until the bush tax cuts are made permanent or at least extended.

We have a responsibility to those rescue workers from 9/11 and we have a responsibility to our decendants to pay for everything we do from here on out without adding to the debt.

Thats a tough tightrope to walk. Using this issue as a political whip against republicans or democrats will surely expose people's partisan prefernaces.

I didn't say they went because it was for ground zero workers. I said they think they have enough money to pay for cuts in the estate tax, but not for this.

And I implied that they are holding it hostage until they get tax cuts for the wealthy, as per your point 4.

If my boss' taxes go up I wont get a raise so by raising his taxes they are effectively increasing my cost of living.

Plus my rich boss only got a 1.5% tax cut from bush while my poor ass got a 3% cut so you can't really say the bush tax cuts were "for the rich" when they were honestly for everyone from poor to rich.

but yeah, they should get this funded without adding to the debt and done.

Why not? His personal income is getting taxed, not his business. If you deserve a raise, that doesn't come out of his personal income. That's a business decision.

I thought Republicans knew about business?

So many have cashed in after 911. Especially the Lawyers and Politicians. How much longer do the American Taxpayers need to be punished and raped for 911? More than enough Taxpayer cash has been handed out in the Ten Years since 911. If you want more cash than head over to Afghanistan & Pakistan and demand it from Al Qaeda and the Taliban. They are responsible for 911. Time to put 911 to bed. There is no more Taxpayer cash to be handed out. Time to move on.

Because it took time for the health problems to show themselves? Because it's been working it's way through the courts? Because it's been delayed by the Republicans until now?

So didn't we just pass health care for ALL AMERICANS. Are first responders AMERICANS?

Using 911 for political gain really is despicable. This is one of the few things i think most Americans can agree on. Stop using 911 for your own selfish gain. 911 has been milked enough for God's sake. Thousands of shyster Lawyers have gotten incredibly wealthy off that tragedy. The only ones who have really benefited from 911 besides Al Qaeda,are the shyster Lawyers and some Politicians. Enough is enough.

There has been more than enough cash handed out since 911. Time to unplug the 911 ATM Machine. How much more cash should the American Taxpayers be forced to hand out? It has been milked to death. It's over. It happened Ten Years ago for God's sake. The sheister Lawyers have now found every possible angle to cash in on. There are no more angles. Let it go. Money is tight,the American Taxpayer doesn't have any more cash to hand out over 911. I know this sounds harsh & callous but it desperately needs to be said. Unplug the 911 ATM Machine for good. It's over.

Are you freaking serious?

You, specifically, were one of the prime people using 9/11 for political gain all this time. Now the 9/11 responders are trying to get recompense for their health issues and NOW is when you've decided that "enough is enough"????

I agree, it is time to put 9/11 behind us as a political football, but this wouldn't even be an issue if the Republicans weren't trying to hold it over the heads of the Democrats in order to get what they want.

The shyster Lawyers and Politicians have probably been more successful after 911 than Al Qaeda was in pulling it off. How much more cash can the Taxpayers come up with for 911? So much cash has already been handed out. The American Taxpayers don't deserve to be punished & raped for 911 forever. It's over. No more cash. The Taxpayers are broke. Time to stop using 911 for political & financial gain. Just unplug the 911 ATM Machine for good.

So didn't we just pass health care for ALL AMERICANS. Are first responders AMERICANS?
Hasn't gone into effect yet.

Why are you so uninformed?

So many have cashed in after 911. Especially the Lawyers and Politicians. How much longer do the American Taxpayers need to be punished and raped for 911? More than enough Taxpayer cash has been handed out in the Ten Years since 911. If you want more cash than head over to Afghanistan & Pakistan and demand it from Al Qaeda and the Taliban. They are responsible for 911. Time to put 911 to bed. There is no more Taxpayer cash to be handed out. Time to move on.

Ahh, nothing changes, does it? Same old Libo, acts like nothing was said and posts the same thing again.

:confused:

Ahh, nothing changes, does it? Same old Libo, acts like nothing was said and posts the same thing again.

:confused:

I saw what you wrote. You didn't say anything new. You're using 911 for political gain just like so many politicians have over the years. And the shyster Lawyers used it for financial gain. Enough is enough for God's sake. The American Taxpayers have nothing more to give. The cash has already been spent. I feel for these First Responders but there are other ways for them to remedy their situation. Continuously punishing & raping the American Taxpayers isn't the answer. 911 is over. No more cash.

Any link to the specifics on the bill, it's funding, and what 'extras' have been put into it?
Or how it's going to be paid for?

Says it right in the article linked. And howdy Jester. I've been away for a while.

No... it gives PARTIAL information... it does not give it all....

What is needed are the specifics, the totality in funding information, and the total information on 'extras' or 'earmarks'

Notice how you dance around when it comes to this... for you know that it is very common and very legit to vote against bills (even ones that sound great) because of what is thrown in

Define "years ago".

8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, (you know back when the dems had 60 seats in the senate and could have passed anything they wanted?) and at the bginning of this years.
Instead they played games and only now bring this up solely to try and make the repubs look bad.
Why would Democrats need a filibuster proof majority in order to help 9/11 responders?

They didn't. You just sort of eluded to the real question though.

Why didn't the dems get this done since 06 when they got the majority or 08 when they controlled both houses of congress?

If you don't feel like trying to answer my questions you could ask why the reps didn't propose a bill even though they were the minority.

Any link to the specifics on the bill, it's funding, and what 'extras' have been put into it?

Yeah, see the link I posted in post #2.

I even used the WSJ as my link to avoid any left-wing media spin.

Not what I asked for... I don't trust an article inherently... I would rather see exactly and completely what is in it

Excellent point. VLW Do you have a link to the actual bill so we can see what was or was not also included in it as a potential "poison pill"?

I read the article and the republicans didn't go against it because it was for health care for ground zero workers.

They went against it for a few reasons.

1) It did not have enough fraud protections
2) It taxed foreign companies only to pay for it (which I actually like)
3) Even with the tax it was not funded without adding to the national debt
4) The reps say they wont vote for anything until the bush tax cuts are made permanent or at least extended.

We have a responsibility to those rescue workers from 9/11 and we have a responsibility to our decendants to pay for everything we do from here on out without adding to the debt.

Thats a tough tightrope to walk. Using this issue as a political whip against republicans or democrats will surely expose people's partisan prefernaces.

Plus the op furthers the erroneous idea, that tax cuts are "paid for" by the government, as IF the money belongs to Washington in the first place, and NOT the people who earn it.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh sure, Teabaggerwimp, the fighter jets, aircraft carrier groups cost nothing, right? Our nations infrastructure which we all depend on, is given to us by some Elves, correct? People like you are real welfare cases.

What teapartysamurai was saying went way over your head, i can tell from your non-related response.

I didn't say they went because it was for ground zero workers. I said they think they have enough money to pay for cuts in the estate tax, but not for this.

And I implied that they are holding it hostage until they get tax cuts for the wealthy, as per your point 4.

If my boss' taxes go up I wont get a raise so by raising his taxes they are effectively increasing my cost of living.

Plus my rich boss only got a 1.5% tax cut from bush while my poor ass got a 3% cut so you can't really say the bush tax cuts were "for the rich" when they were honestly for everyone from poor to rich.

but yeah, they should get this funded without adding to the debt and done.

Why not? His personal income is getting taxed, not his business. If you deserve a raise, that doesn't come out of his personal income. That's a business decision.

I thought Republicans knew about business?

his business profits are his personal income silly. If the business makes less profit he receives less weath from the time, money, and sweat he put into making this business so that me and 6 other taxpaying citizens could have jobs with decent wages.

With the current economic policies we have been trying for the last 2 years utterly failing to help the economy his profit is hurting right now and hurting badly. I know how much the bills are and the materials we use and the profit margins on the work we do, I'm thankful he isn't a greedy guy because he would have laid off a few of us by now if he was

This will help you:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsZpWej8pF4[/ame]

Last edited:
Yeah, see the link I posted in post #2.

I even used the WSJ as my link to avoid any left-wing media spin.

Not what I asked for... I don't trust an article inherently... I would rather see exactly and completely what is in it

Excellent point. VLW Do you have a link to the actual bill so we can see what was or was not also included in it as a potential "poison pill"?

I do see where you're coming from, though I did choose the WSJ because I would imagine a Murdoch publication would have pointed out those poison pills if they existed. So...

Here's the text:

Text of H.R.847 as Placed on Calendar Senate: James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010 - U.S.... OpenCongress

Here's the Bill history and summary:

H.R.847: James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

And, may I say, I really like this whole "OpenCongress.org" thing.

No... it gives PARTIAL information... it does not give it all....

What is needed are the specifics, the totality in funding information, and the total information on 'extras' or 'earmarks'

Notice how you dance around when it comes to this... for you know that it is very common and very legit to vote against bills (even ones that sound great) because of what is thrown in

Actually, in all honesty, I am not aware of anything that is not detailed in the WSJ article that would be a cause for blocking said bill. If you can find anything in my above link to prove me wrong, please, be my guest.

I'd like to believe there's a good reason for this, as I really can't understand how anyone can be so calculating as to hold this particular bill hostage for such a stupid reason.

They didn't. You just sort of eluded to the real question though.

Why didn't the dems get this done since 06 when they got the majority or 08 when they controlled both houses of congress?

If you don't feel like trying to answer my questions you could ask why the reps didn't propose a bill even though they were the minority.

Actually, they did. They had the votes for a majority (57-40), and couldn't get it through, because the Republicans stated they would filibuster.

Isn't it great that Republicans think there's plenty of money to go around when it comes time to lowering the estate tax for multi-billionaires, but there's just no money to help the 9/11 responders.

Way to go Republicans!

First you shamelessly harp on 9/11 to score political points, and then you abandon the heroes that suffer still for their efforts.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

They hate the idea of sending money to new york. it chafes them. so yeah, i'd like them to stop using what happened as a political tool when they feel like.

No, not correct.
First, they are not tax cuts but just keeping the current rate.
Second keeping the current rates benifit the middle class far mor than the rich. Isn't supposed to be just 2% are for those making over 250k? Also libs keep lying saying this doesn't include a large amount of small business owners.

You say Potatoe, I say potato.

My point is not really what they are asking for, my point is that this particular bill should not be held hostage for any reason.

The fact that it's so that the rich can get tax cuts is just more offensive, due to the fact that they are claiming there's not enough money to pay for the 9/11 responders.

Oh yes, it's sooooooooooooooooooooooo offensive for people to keep MORE OF WHAT THEY EARN!!!!

Hear the cry of the lazy, greedy, and the dumb. Underneath all that is the naked greed of people, who can't STAND the fact there are some who make more than them. They WANT THAT MONEY, and if they can't have it, they want the government to get it, and then give them goodies instead.

Otherwise it "offends" them.

Why should we care if YOU are offended that people keep more of what they earn. What is so damn important about the greediness of class envy that we should care if you are offended, can you tell me that?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Forum List

Back